Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Waldorf Wishlist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have been enjoying the Waldorf threads. But I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the information and websites and resources. Please would you share your 5 essentials to get started. Is there a way to do Waldorf on a budget?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Looking forward to seeing what this thread brings!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Marilyn, I'm just getting started too, but I'm very happy with the Christopherus resources. From what I've read of my own, and what I've heard from others, I would say the Waldorf Curriculum Overview for Homeschoolers is a great place to start.

I also am extremely happy with our Waldorf-inspired art supplies. Beeswax crayons, Lyra pencils, and modeling beeswax are our new favorites around here.

I just started using parts of the Christopherus First Grade Syllabus and really like many of the ideas. We started our adventure with the alphabet Waldorf-style and are really enjoying it.

I'm learning as I go and slowly adding elements in.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

kjohnson wrote:
Marilyn, I'm just getting started too, but I'm very happy with the Christopherus resources. From what I've read of my own, and what I've heard from others, I would say the Waldorf Curriculum Overview for Homeschoolers is a great place to start.

I also am extremely happy with our Waldorf-inspired art supplies. Beeswax crayons, Lyra pencils, and modeling beeswax are our new favorites around here.

I just started using parts of the Christopherus First Grade Syllabus and really like many of the ideas. We started our adventure with the alphabet Waldorf-style and are really enjoying it.

I'm learning as I go and slowly adding elements in.

Thanks Katherine. We do have the crayons and color pencils. Do you use them with the older kids too - I was using just with the preschooler. I will get the beeswax with my next order. I will save up for the curriculum overview. RE alphabet books - do you prefer the Waldorf Alphabet over the LNM one?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Katherine -- is it really worthe $55? That just seems so much when the writeup explains it as:
Quote:

This is neither a package curriculum nor an in-depth examination of the whys and wherefores of Waldorf education. These resources are available elsewhere. (To find out more about some of these, click onto our Resources page.) Rather, it is an introduction, an overview, of the complexities of Waldorf pedagogy, presented with an abundance of ideas and suggestions so that parents can use what they need from the rich tradition of Waldorf education.

This is a practical book and parents will find help on questions ranging from how to make a schedule to working with multi-age children and from parental self-education to designing a language arts program.

Suggestions as to how one might use non-Waldorf resources but stay true to one's educational ideals will also be a feature throughout the book. Hundreds of books and other resources, both Waldorf and non-Waldorf, are reviewed. Homeschoolers will find lists of great read-alouds, books for Main Lesson preparation, suggested source material for students and books explaining different aspects of Waldorf pedagogy.

And, to help support one's parenting and homeschooling choices, there will be a discussion on "the Waldorf-inspired home". As the Montessori people say about their philosophy, Waldorf is a way of life, and it certainly helps if one's educational philosophy is in line with one's lifestyle.

Chapter titles are:

Waldorf Education and Homeschooling
A Visit to a Waldorf School
The Waldorf Home (read a page)
Homeschooling with Waldorf
Grade by Grade (read a page)
Topic by Topic - language arts; handwork, crafts and gardening; foreign language; math (read a page); music; history (including fairy tales, legends and myths) (read a page); art - drawing, painting and modeling; geography; form drawing; science; movement, games and sports
Home is not School
Nuts and Bolts
Questions & Answers
A Peek at the Future: High School

So the more I look at it, the more useful, but again $55 worth?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

MarilynW wrote:
Thanks Katherine. We do have the crayons and color pencils. Do you use them with the older kids too - I was using just with the preschooler. I will get the beeswax with my next order. I will save up for the curriculum overview. RE alphabet books - do you prefer the Waldorf Alphabet over the LNM one?

All of the children are using them and all of them are really enjoying them. Before bed last night Emily (11) was using the beeswax crayons to draw a picture of Sophie and was having a lot of fun trying to blend the colors for the hair. That's usually when I know it's a good thing...when the children are drawn to the materials outside of formal "lesson time."

I have only seen the Waldorf Alphabet book. I don't own the other, but I know Elizabeth has it. Maybe she'll pop over here and offer a comparison.

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Mary G wrote:
Katherine -- is it really worthe $55? That just seems so much when the writeup explains it as:

I don't know, Mary. I guess I'd say that if you want to get an overview from a homeschooling perspective so that you can piece together what you believe will benefit your family, then it's a good purchase. If you're looking for concrete directions and ideas to implement, then maybe it's not the right book. My problem is that I seem to have an inability to ever use a curriculum. I try and I try, but I always end up doing my own thing.    For example, I started the language block from the Christopherus 1st grade syllabus on Monday and now, on Wednesday, am already taking notes on how I could do the same thing, but with other books and a hybrid CM-Waldorf approach. It's either going to be great or a total disaster.   

My point is that it all depends on what you're looking for. Maybe it would be more helpful if you mentioned what kind of resource would be helpful to you and then the women who already own these books could let you know if you're going to be happy with purchasing them. I agree, $55 is not cheap.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

You can see examples of the LMNOP art here. and you can see samples of The Waldorf Alphabet Book here

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

kjohnson wrote:
Mary G wrote:

I don't know, Mary. I guess I'd say that if you want to get an overview from a homeschooling perspective so that you can piece together what you believe will benefit your family, then it's a good purchase. If you're looking for concrete directions and ideas to implement, then maybe it's not the right book. My problem is that I seem to have an inability to ever use a curriculum. I try and I try, but I always end up doing my own thing.    For example, I started the language block from the Christopherus 1st grade syllabus on Monday and now, on Wednesday, am already taking notes on how I could do the same thing, but with other books and a hybrid CM-Waldorf approach. It's either going to be great or a total disaster.   

My point is that it all depends on what you're looking for. Maybe it would be more helpful if you mentioned what kind of resource would be helpful to you and then the women who already own these books could let you know if you're going to be happy with purchasing them. I agree, $55 is not cheap.
Katherine -- you sound just like me -- that's why I don't "claim" any one curriculum. I couldn't even do CHC's FHC prep without changing, amending, editing or just plain ignoring !

Sounds like I need to try and get a copy ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

MArilyn do you have a Waldorf school near you? Ours has a a store inside, where you can purschase items a little at a time. The other benefit is you can talk with their instructors and ask about different items.

We started with a Waldorf coop about 5 yrs ago, it was awesome, such fun classes and tons of hands on learing for mom. From there I have just added a little here and there. You don't need to break the bank to do Waldorf. Just go slow, add what you can when you can.

Main lesson- books very inexpensive
Recorders- easily under 10.00
knitting- look for natural fibers on sale/make knitting needles out of pencils/dowel rods
living books- (fairy tales/saint stories) Library
crayons art supplies-pick up one type once a month keep looking at ebay and other online sales. I know magic cabin has a few waldork art supplies on clearance right now.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

chicken lady wrote:
   I know magic cabin has a few waldork art supplies on clearance right now.

"Waldork" *snort* hee hee! (I know I am soooo juvenile! )

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

lapazfarm wrote:
   (I know I am soooo juvenile! )

I say very funny!!!!   This keyboard sticks sooooooo bad!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

i think we've all been pretty wal-dorky lately....

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

LOL That made my evening!   

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Sigh...I can't decide if my Waldorf list should include the curriculum manual from Christopherus, either. I'm more interested in the practical than the process.

My list of "really wants" (mind you...I can't even begin to afford it all) includes:

All the Elsa Beskow books

Another fairie tales book

Kits on making fairies and felt people

Kits on making dolls

Kit for a cool fairy house (I saw this on a web site)

Pencils, paint and beeswax.

Books and things to help with seasonal celebrations, both liturgical and nature oriented.

Oh! This one's free, but essential to me and a lot of hard work...clearing the schedule of excess activities to allow for a peaceful rhythm, and figuring out what is a more peaceful rhythm for our family!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I'm skipping the gnome/fairy connection and going with our Saints instead (remember this is a wishlist )

I wish I could make our felty people similar to Crafty Maggie's at Crafty in Coffeeland.

Saint Appolonia, my favorite.
St. Lucia, dd favorite.
Saint Nicholaus
Saints Philip and James the Less.

Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

marihalojen wrote:
I'm skipping the gnome/fairy connection .

You just broke my Irish heart You may want to read this before making your final decision. Fairies can become quite testy when overlooked

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Love the article! Amazing what a "vocal minority" can do.

Mostly I'm skipping the fairy/gnome connection because dd is 12, nearly 13 if you listen to her (surely not!) and just as Elizabeth's older set is not doing the Fairy Tales but rather A Term at Hogwarts, so have I decided that this little rabbit trail is for littles. We are well versed in Fairy Stories and in fact are looking at LOTR in light of that great book, Sanctifying Myth that AussieAnnie recommended earlier this year.

I'm looking at the felty creations as kicked up Spoon Saints, can you believe that was nearly a year ago??? October 4, 2006. I also think a LOTR's set would be pretty darn cool! See? An adaptable craft, I those!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My ds dropped out of Hogwarts due to lack of willful suspension of disbelief. All too contrived for him. I'm giving it one last go with George MacDonald and then I'm going to let this child pass into his teenage hears sorely lacking in all things fairy or fantasy. He does, however, love to make those felt folk. He made a dear angel this week. Thanks for linking to all of Crafty's little guys. I think I can get Patrick started now on some of these to go with Nicholas' new and improved alphabet adventure. Saints, Patrick will "do."

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I hope you know Jennifer I was playing with you. You don't need to explain your reasons to me But as a good Irish woman, I must defend the wee folk    I do love the links you shared.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version