Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: How do you start your day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

What is the first schoolish thing that you do to begin the day? I need to tweak our routine already, and I'm wondering what works for others.

FYI, we are currently starting with music practice, but I think we need to warm up with something a little more gentle. (We work hard at our music around here.) I like the idea of reading aloud first, but then they are sleepy and snuggly and warm on the couch and no one wants to get up and go do anything else after we're done reading, so that is currently after lunch, kind of last thing. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Marianne
First thing we start with is prayers Now I can call (and nag ) them to come and they still drag their feet. If instead I start The Morning Offering by the time I have finished they have all run in and thrown themselves onto their knees Soothes us all.

Presently we start with chanting times tables and phonics chart, then maths. Not so gentle. When my oldest was about your oldest age I used to start with our faith reading. A saints or bible story, I limited it to half an hour. I did have to be disciplined as they were begging for more, felt mean but it had to be done.

I've also tried out unit study work before morning tea and seat work after mt, but that really didn't work as we were too tired and I wasn't disciplined.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Breakfast!

We eat breakfast and before we start any kind of school work, we kneel before the altar and say the morning offering prayer, 3 Hail Mary's and then they have their private prayer.

Afterwards, we read a Bible story and a Saint story. Once i get CGS and F&L, we will add those as well. I find that if i leave Religion as the last subject, i tend to knick it off our day if we run out of time or if im being lazy. It's best we do it first and put that same importance on it as the 3R's. I usually plan some kind of craft to go along with either the Bible/Saint story and that is done after the other subjects. They love that part so they look forward to it. After we read the stories, we proceed to our other subjects.

I've seen a major change in attitude since deciding to do Religion first. It really eases them into the 3R's.

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

We do Religion first, as well. I read a saint story or something like a Mosaic book and then proceed to F&L. After that, we usually do math or copywork. I've found if we do unit studies before math, math won't get done that day.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Prayers
Breakfast (read a poem as we eat)
Chores -- quick ones
Bible/Catechism/Atrium (which of these depends on the day)

I'm only homeschooling one -- but the two underneath him all like to do whatever he is doing.

M kids still jump out of bed full of life...very early -- we haven't reached the groggy stage yet. So if I started on the couch with snuggling, I might never get back up!!    We save that for a little bit later in the day.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

sweetiesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote sweetiesmom

We are looking for a new schedule to start our day also. The plan is to get up, eat, chores then start our day with Religion/prayers all together.   I have to have my morning shower....and I usually try to grab that once they are all at the table. I am actually going to try and follow a schedule this year for the first time. I will work with my K first on reading while the older 2 do independent work(and the younger 2 hopefully behave!). We will have scheduled time set aside to read History, Science, Geography....but maybe not everyday. And each school age child gets their own 30 min block with Mama. They are all excited. I am hoping it works!

sweetiesmom
Back to Top View sweetiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by sweetiesmom

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We start our day with breakfast, chores, reading the Bible and singing some hymns. Then we have our read aloud. Next comes working with the oldest, then I work my way through to the youngest.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(8,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Marianne,

This is working for us right now:

Everyone must be dressed, beds made, personal morning prayers said tidied up etc... and then downstairs for breakfast. After and often during breakfast we do a devotional reading of some sort maybe a saint story. Then we hit the books! We generally start with math just for the older ones and I do some letter and phonics work with the twins.

I am having to really be creative to spend my time with who needs the direction. My older boys (2nd and 3rd) are not really able to do all of their work independently yet and still need me to help out a lot. We do many things all together too.

Mid-morning is when things tend to come apart at the seams here. I give them a recess and run around break bc they really need it but I am having a hard time getting them back!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I don't consider prayers or breakfast as schoolish, but as life, so to answer your question:
The oldest three (almost 13, 11, 8.5) have a list of daily work they may choose from to work on independently. 11yods likes to do it in order, starting with math and working down through assigned reading. The other two pick and choose what they want to start with. I'm hoping this will turn into my time to work in another room with the youngest three (6, 4.5, 3), but today it was my shower time.

This is a good way for them to work on waking up and becoming civil. They all have work to concentrate on and aren't required to work together. We save our family subjects (history, science, art, and music) for when they are finished with the daily work. By that time, they're ready to sit and listen to a read aloud or plunge into a fun project or experiment they can work on together.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

We get going around 9, when everyone is breakfasted. I don't consider prayers "schoolish," either, but then this is how we "do religion," and it is how our formal day starts.

Typically we:

1) read about the saint for the day, if it's a feast day
2) do a round-robin reading of the Mass readings for the day (ie one person does first reading, another person does responsorial psalm, another does Gospel)
3) we do some collects for the morning and/or novena if we're doing novena
4) we sing the Salve Regina or other Latin hymn
5) we sing a hymn in English -- this week it's "Christ Whose Glory Fills the Skies" I print the words out from the Oremus Hymnal, and if we need a playover, their site will do that, too. The Cyberhmynal is another good resource.

Alternately, we pray the Rosary, but this is our routine right now. Funny, in the course of devotions, we "cover" saints, Bible, and music, at least . . .

Then my 13yo goes to the computer to write, my 9yo sits down to do math and writing, and I read to my 5 and 3yo or put some words on the kitchen chalkboard for us to practice.

So that's how we kick off our day.

Pax,

Sally

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

We generally say our Morning Offering at breakfast, then discuss Catechism and/or read from the Bible or another religious book, then some read alouds. (The kids draw while I read). After this, they get antsy so it's a good time to break for chores. After chores comes individual work.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

After breakfast, grooming, chores, and prayers, we begin our "school" day
with math. This year we are using Math-U-See, and they all watch my 13yr old dd's video lesson (my boys are entranced by anthing they see on a DVD or video ). Then the boys watch their lesson while I help dd get started on her written math. After that, I help the boys with their math work. So far,
this seems to get them into schoolwork mode. After math, we generally do reading then religion, but sometimes we stick a craft in there if they are getting restless.

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Thanks for the replies! All of your routines sound wonderful!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

It takes my dc an hour to dress, brush hair and teeth and get breakfast eaten.

Then it's into the living room for read aloud on the sofa. It's almost the only way I am able to get started.

This week it's been Peter Pan . Great read-aloud.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I didnt notice anyone starting the day with "physical" activiity.

But after breakfast since daddy is home until 10;30 we have "family stretch".

Which is just what it sounds like simple stretches and a few basic exercises.

If the kiddos are really rambunctious we will send them out for laps around the courtyard...dd 6 loves this...ds 3 is my pokey "ferdinand" and daddy often has to chase him around

We dont get into projects/stories until daddy goes. but our "PE" time is an important part of our routine.
esp. when the winter rains come.

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Oh, Maggie! I'm barely moving in the morning. Forget about exercise! I send the kids out for jumping jacks and laps when they exhibit a bit too much energy, though. :)

In the past we have started our days with Catechism and then math. (And usually the boys would begin their independent work earlier.) This year we're going to try to do some copywork/dictation between Catechism and math. Big change, I know.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version