Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: I now have a clean slate Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I live in N IL and last week, along with many others, we flooded badly. I lost my school room to a flood of flood water and backed up septic field    

After a good cry, I have decided to look at the bright side. I have a clean state. I thought I was getting too 'workbooky" again--well now they are in the dumpster. The desks were starting to stifle me--not anymore. We lost 80% of the contents of the basement, the carpet,books, the drywall, books, decorations, books.

So what should we do? Please help me plan an awesome new space! Lets think big, I can always scale down or find less expensive choices. I have a 13 year old boy, 8 year old girl and 3 year old boy that will live and learn in this space. Plus storage and laundry. The area is about 1000 square feet.

LeeAnn
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Oh, I'm so sorry for the trouble, LeeAnn. I've been praying for our northern neighbors. We know all about flooding in these parts.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Thank you. We have never flooded before, so this is a new experience for me. But we are lucky. We have good friends, many of whom are builders, and they have all pitched in so we are mostly cleaned out. One section of drywall and the carpet on the stairs is all that is left to pull out.

LeeAnn

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

LeeAnn,

I am so sorry about the flooding. You have a great attitude though and I am inspired by your train of thought. A clean slate indeed!

One thing I love in our learning room is a big comfy chair. I think it is a chair and a half. It is a cozy spot to sit and read and several of us can pile on.

I know you will get some lovely ideas here and I am eager to see how the rooms turn out.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

LeeAnn,
What kind of budget do you have to work with as you rebuild and restock?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I am not very constrained by budget. We have lived in this house for 11 years and have a lot of equity built up that we are going to tap into. My DH said to do whatever I want/need.

There are 3 spaces down there. I measured last night: 12 X 36, 16 X 20 and 14 X 40.

I also need a sewing area for myself incorporated.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Is a sump pump a possible addition to the basement?

I say a comfy couch for snuggling together when you are doing read alouds.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We have a sump pump, and a back up. It just rained that much. The window wells filled with water and their seals broke, the sump backed up and the septic backed up.

Ick!

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

LeeAnn, I am so sorry. Our septic tank backed up this weekend as well, but it only flooded the area of the basement that we don't use, so there wasn't any carpet or furniture to deal with. I would have had a big cry as well if I lost all that you had.

If I was able to design a learning space and had no financial restrictions, I would definitely put in a couch and a reading area, lots of shelves and a big table so everyone could work there instead of separate desks (I don't know whether that would work for you or not, though.) I would also have an area for the 3 yr. old to play in, so that he doesn't distract (too much, anyway) the older children.

I also wouldn't put carpet in this room, just in case :)

I'm sorry that your decorating adventure had to come at such a cost.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(8,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

We have friends who had flooding three feet into the second floor. Even though she lost everthing she said that in hindsight it was the best thing that had happened to them. She started a "blessing book" to record everything good that happened so she would remember to be grateful and thank the Lord for it all.

You could have one of the rooms be a schoolroom/library with a desk or two (not necessarily a school desk but maybe a writing desk), several bookcases, the couch that Rachel suggested and maps of the US, the world and IL on the wall. You could do things that make it cozy but a learning atmosphere at the same time.

Your son is old enough that he might be able to give suggestions based on his interests. For example, if he is interested in science he could have corner where there is a mini biology and chemistry lab, if he plays an instrument his own practice area, or an arts and crafts nook if that is what he likes.

--Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I am sorry to hear this - when son nuner four was a baby, we flooded out four rooms in our house!! So we got to completely start again in the kitchen/family room/learning area...

I think I'd start with your son's interests, as Christina said what would he like to have? Then it'd be fun to think in terms of nooks - a reading nook, a journalling nook, an art/Science area....

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

So how do I make nooks? They are big rectangles.

We finished ripping out today. A family from my hs group came over and helped. The dad helped me start a fort under the stairwell for the 3 year old, complete with a door, a little window and a big window. he is going to love it!

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

sewcrazy wrote:
The dad helped me start a fort under the stairwell for the 3 year old, complete with a door, a little window and a big window. he is going to love it!

You are such a fun mom!!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

sewcrazy wrote:
So how do I make nooks? They are big rectangles.

I love the idea of the fort!

I creat nooks in our rentals homes by use of furntitre - right now, I have a coffee table on an angle, as a book display area, I have a low shelving unit on one wall as a journalling nook, with space on top for the geoboard, etc.

Look at the furniture you have, new furniture to buy
( I love office/school furniture stores and some bright coloured sofas and cushions!), and at using your space a little differently...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version