Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: 11 ds has been wanting to start business Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Our 11 ds has been telling me since he was 8 that he would like to start his own business in game programing. I have spent hours in libraries, book stores looking for something age appropriate. He is sincere in this effort.

I talked to friend and he recommended my son learning computer basics first before game programming. I am looking at a Seton course that teaching basic programming. He has read the book required for the class.

Could anyone steer me in the right direction? I want to help him but don't know how outside of finding books for him.

Can anyone direct me how to set up a blog so at least he could start putting his thoughts out there? Would you recommend that or something else other than the class mentioned above?
Back to Top View cfa83's Profile Search for other posts by cfa83

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

If you want him to start a blog, you could try homeschoolblogger.com. It is fairly simple, my 11 yr dd started one there. Sorry I am not much help otherwise
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote tracym

My 10 yr. old ds is the same way. He has been talking for a few years about the same thing- he wants to create video games. I am also having a hard time finding anything for him. I told him the same thing about learning about the computer first. I did find a free tutorial online for making your own video game. I can post the link later if you like. And we checked a few books out of the library on video game art and a book on careers about computer and video game design.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I have a irl friend whose son who is planning on going into the computer world. He is using the Mother Board Books she is very happy with them, their books are aimed from 8up and written by a homeschooloing mum designed for the child to really understand the computer.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

I was at Hastings yesterday and I saw a book specifically for teens to learn to do game programming. I don't remember the title exactly but it was something with the words teen, game, and programming, I think.    How is that for vague?

I remember because I pointed it out to my daughter. It was in the computer book section, I was looking for a book on PHP. If I get a chance to go back this weekend I will write it down and post it here.

Blessings,
Krisann

ETA: I did a search for "teen game programming" on Amazon and a couple books that might fit what you are looking for popped up. hth

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

How does Mother Board Books compare to Seton's highschool course on Computer Basics? I was just about to order Seton's course. My son was excited about Seton's course but even moreso with MBB.

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Thank you for responding to our question. We will be ordering from Mother Board Books instead of the Seton course. My son is looking forward to this program.

God Bless,
Linda

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Linda

Glad to hear you've made your decision, it is so hard at times isn't it? My apologies to you, I emailed my friend for you and she responded I forgot to post her response I'll include it here for you so that you;ll feel strengthened in your decision

I've never seen the Seton course....but I think the fact that it is called computer basics that it may just teach how to use the computer efficiently. The motherboard course teachers computer language, how to write programs and web page building/design. Perhaps if she knew that she may be better able to compare with Seton???

Hope that helps

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

It does! Thank you Erin. Michael is eagerly awaiting for the program.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Linda
Let me know what you, and Michael think of it when it arrives. So pleased to see your new signature. I was wanting to know how many dc you had So can I ask their ages?

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 06 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Thanks for asking Erin. Grace (14), Michael (11), John (10), Faith (7), Hope (5) and Andrew (2). They are sweet children thanks to God.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version