Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: religion choices- help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

hi everyone,
we have a decision to make. Kiean our 15-16 yr old has been homeschooled just over a year.
we had him in a non catholic program- taking him of gradually as i discovered the content was not kind to our faith- to use a nice word.
he has been going through the catechism- and he has quite got into it.
our decision is what now. i will eventually give him 'following Christ in the world but need something in between- book on saints,another text. help- need ideas. god bless.
leanne
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We are using books from the local Catholic bookstore rather than a text, and I am *thrilled* with the response, so far. There are so many wonderful apologetics oriented books out there. Envoy Magazine has recentl begun publishing again and it would make a great resource for narrations. St. Joseph Communications has some fabulous tape sets, too, that would be inspiring. This is where I'd start.

We are using a Peter Kreeft book for Introduction to the Scriptures (requiring narrations/summaries) along with copywork from every book of the bible. I'm impressed with the results so far, and its as rigorous a course as any textbook course, imho.

If I couldn't find what I was looking for, I might try the Didache series. I hear they are ok.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I like the Didache series if you are looking for a text.

However, as I am not a big "text book" person, I will add that my daughter loves to just read about our faith. The Prove It! series of books by Amy Welborn are great. So are books by Scott Hahn (my dd17 is reading "A Father Who Keeps His Promises" right now - and every few pages or so she says something like, "Wow, listen to this..." or something similar.

Also, the tapes at the Bible Christian Societyare really, really good, easy to listen to, and FREE, too . They are mainly apologetics, and are just good.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

hi
thanks for youe respones. i feel like we are on the right track.
he has 2 years further at home officially, so i can see we cam fit as much as like into it.
leanne
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Leanne

I asked a similar question before and got some great answers including a thumbs up for the didache series. The Louis de Wohl saints books are nice for his age. Here is a nice list of spiritual books for a teen and here is a discussion on 9th graders that includes religion ideas. I particularly was interested in what Macmom had to say
Macmom wrote:
We do a lot of reading in theology and morality. My dd reads Amy Welborn, as well as Scott Hahn and GK Chesterton, so all of the Fr. Laux information in the books was old hat to her.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

It's Macmom again. Don't neglect CATHOLIC study of Scripture (esp. the Gospels) as your "primary source documents" for high school. We have LOVED the Ignatius study Bible series, they focus on one book of the NT each, cost about $9.95, come with COPIOUS notes and maps and explanations AND a set of "understanding" questions" for each chapter, as well as "application" questions to apply this part of Scripture to your life. We either write out the answers to questions, or just sit and discuss them. (I give the kids the option of discussing the "application" questions with me, if their answers are too personal!) Also, much commentary from the CCC and saints of the Church. I especially like the "application" questions and the chance to show where, in Scripture, Catholics base many of their beliefs. Can't beat the price.

Much of the notes, questions, etc. were written by Scott Hahn. We have used the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke... the Book of Acts... Romans... my 8th grade son is doing 1 and 2 Timothy right now. Check them out.

Instead of reading ABOUT Scripture, read Scripture... the Catholic way!

Peace,
Macmom

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I'm excited about the advice for the Didache series and the Prove It! books as we will be using those this year for our 10th grader. I am not a big fan of textbooks either. Is the student book sufficient in the Didache series or do you really need the answers in the teachers manuals?

We used the Fr. Laux books last year and I really liked them but I think I enjoyed them much more than my son did. So I will keep reading them and try Didache for my two older ones. The Didache looks wonderful!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I didn't find I used the TM from Didache very much. However, if you want to test, they do have tests already done up in the book.

It is VERY text-booky in that respect. At the end of each chapter, there is Vocab, and questions drawn right from the readings. I didn't really have my dd do that. Then they had a few "practical applications" questions - I would have her do some of those, as it wasn't just a direct repeating back of material.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

cactus mouse wrote:
I didn't find I used the TM from Didache very much. However, if you want to test, they do have tests already done up in the book.

I mean in the TM book. Re-reading it I am not sure I was very clear.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version