Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: When to start the college process? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am wondering when to start the whole process of contacting colleges for information and starting to visit those of particular interest. My son will be a junior this year. Dh says we need to start now.

Some advice from you seasoned moms?
Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I am not an experienced mom, but I say start now. Here's why:

1. My (excellent) Catholic girls' high school in Calif. got parents thinking about college in our (high school) freshman year. It was not too soon.

2. There are a lot of scholarships out there. My dd's "godbubba" Chris got a couple of military family member scholarships and two Eagle Scout scholarships. It takes a lot of time to research the opportunities you're qualified for.

3. No matter what, you will end up in an application crunch at the final hour. That is because your teen has to write his own essays. Best to have all other groundwork taken care of prior to those stressful deadlines.

4. Everyone I've talked to has likened the senior year college application process to other incredible stressful life events...and said it was worse. Best to have all other groundwork taken care of...(you get my drift)

5. Teens change their minds. Today's wonderful school may not be tomorrow's, and you may need to jump through unexpected hoops.

6. Retaking the SAT's is a good idea. Most people's scores go up 20 points or so just on one retake. Time is needed to determine if a review course would be helpful.

7. Visiting schools really, really helps. I chose my school based on a campus tour, after I'd ruled out my "real first choice school" because $40K of student loan debt just didn't make sense. (I picked school #1 after a tour, too.)

8. You have a family to think about. Why compress all this stressful stuff into a few months if you don't have to? Why not read those "how to find scholarship" books from the library while nursing the new baby?

9. Things change. You can't prevent last-minute crises. What you can do ahead of time is research potential schools (yes, I did this when my son, now 15, was in 8th grade), check out scholarship and grant opportunities, visit campuses, make sure all those standardized tests are taken care of...essential things, one and all.

If I haven't convinced you, PM me and I will add to this lengthy list!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We started collecting materials from college at the end of 10th and into 11th. During 11th year, I looked into what types of scholarships were available and read a lot as to which school seem better suited to dc needs/wants. There is a good Catholic college yahoo group. (sorry I don't have the addy at my finger tips)This year (her senior) we will be visiting the 2 or 3 we have narrowed it down to. Also, she took the SAT her junior year (in the spring) and will re-take it this fall at least once, maybe twice. She got a good enough score to get in but we are looking for excellent scores for a scholarship. Now all of this may change if she decides she wants to go straight into the convent and skip the whole college thing.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

You want to start now -- especially if you're not enrolled in an accredited program ...

You want to make sure that everything your son has done will work for the colleges he'd like to attend. You want to make sure you know exactly what they require for the applications process -- some require only SAT scores and "formal" transcripts, others want to see the work, still others (Notre Dame, for instance) insist on seeing scores from the SAT Subject tests.

The earlier you start the process the more the schools understand your son's interest ... and the better chance for aid and acceptance even if the school "doesn't usually accept homeschoolers".

The good news is that more and more homeschoolers are going beyond TAC, FUS, or local community colleges and getting accepted to the Military Academies, major universities and small colleges.

The bad news is that some schools will say "we don't want homeschoolers" -- than you have a choice: either know that your son wouldn't be happy there, or push them on the issue and TALK to the admissions director (even if it means a trip to the school).

I don't think you need to do the "college trips" that alot of folks do ... I think you can get a great feel for the different schools by reading their web sites, talking to admissions and specific faculty, etc. Once he's narrowed it down to one or two, than a visit might be in order ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

Mary G-
HUMPF!
"..going beyond TAC and FUS..."

Nothing compares to a solid, Catholic university experience. FUS changed my life! My 4 years there was worth the cost, even if I had to pay double the tuition! And my friends who went to Ave Maria, TAC, and UD will say the same! Those places made us the shave-your-head-and-drink-the-koolaid Catholics we are today!JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')

(I'm not really huffy- it's just how you stated it. As if it was the lowered bar, the "easy-to-get-into choice!)

Peace,
Shannon

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Often you'll find, when you talk with the admissions folks at smaller schools, that they will work with you as best they can on the financial end. The young man I mentioned above is heading off to Seton Hill...they gave him $1K for being an Eagle Scout, and they worked with his parents to construct a package that would pretty much equate to a Virginia state university (not that they're cheap ).

UCLA, my alma mater, is still pretty homeschool-unfriendly. I'm hoping that will change in the next few years...

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Macmom wrote:
Mary G-
HUMPF!
"..going beyond TAC and FUS..."

Nothing compares to a solid, Catholic university experience. FUS changed my life! My 4 years there was worth the cost, even if I had to pay double the tuition! And my friends who went to Ave Maria, TAC, and UD will say the same! Those places made us the shave-your-head-and-drink-the-koolaid Catholics we are today!JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')

(I'm not really huffy- it's just how you stated it. As if it was the lowered bar, the "easy-to-get-into choice!)

Peace,
Shannon

Shannon, believe me some of my best friends (and family -- my favorite god son will be a sophmore there this year) went to FUS and TAC and Ave Maria ... I'm just saying it's nice that Catholic homeschoolers are leavening the loaf in the secular schools too. For instance, my niece is a very active member of FOCUS up at Univ Northern Colorado so she's getting a wonderful chance to evangelize lots of Catholics and non-Catholics....

SORRY!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My son is in school, so I don't have to worry about transcripts and such.

He is not a kid who would pick a Catholic college. He does have friends at CUA, which from what I have heard is really cleaning up its image.

Ds is looking at being a Marine and is also a competitive baseball player. So we will focus on schools that have NROTC and/or sports programs. I am praying to find a Catholic school that can fit the bill.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

Our oldest son is heading to Walsh Univ in Ohio in 3 weeks! yikes. He went to PS his last two years so the transcript making thing wasn't a issue. We really should have started some of it sooner but it was fine. He took the ACT the end of his Jr year and again in the fall of his senior year. He took the SAT his senior year too. He really was too busy having fun to think/act too much on this college thing -although he wanted to and planned to go. His freshman and sophmore year he was set on FSU. But he changed ALOT over those 2 years and FSU was wayyyy to catholic for him. But I told him that I would help him in any way I could int getting into a solidly catholic school but he'd be on his own if he wanted to go to Akron univ or OSU because they sounded more fun. So I've worked long and hard this past year on getting him to Walsh. I wish the Catholic part permeated dorm life more but....

As an aside though, at orientation an elderly brother gave the intro to us. He was wonderful. He casually mentioned that a couple of his first professors at oxford were CS Lewis and Tolkein!! My ds was VERY impressed and really liked him. And this from the kid that 15 mins earlier told me he isn't taking any Catholic classes. by the time the brother had finished his second talk of the weekend, Matthew had signed up for the Brother's class on CAtholicism-a class based on Tolkein and the Lord of the Rings. Cool!! Another reminder to me why he's going to be $10k in debt just for this year. That son of mine needs to hear some truth! It can't hurt him to be on a campus that has daily rosary, adoration, crucifixes in every classroom,a beautiful church andmost importantly Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament right there.

Who ever said the senior year is stressful is so right - especially the first time around. So much to learn. Believe me though, a 14yo freshman might be VERY different than the 18yo graduating senior. I wouldn't put much time and effort into the college thing that early - only having a plan for his credits throughout the four years.

I have my ups and downs about this college and debt thing. Not sure what the answer is. I know for this son that living at home was NOT an option. Getting an apt somewhere would be wayyyy worse and he didn't need to be in a purely secular atmosphere a day longer.

I was so filled with peace to see the new church/chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Seh's been hearing my prayers and petitions a lot these past couple of years!!

Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks Theresia! I really don't want this child at a secular school! And any truth would have to probably sneak in such as a class on Tolkein.

It will be a challenge to find the right place. Starting today!

Remembering Today

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Molly, since your son is interested in the marines, I'd go on-line and look at or print out the requirements for the military academies, some schools that are easier to get in and within budget and some "dream" schools that would be a good fit if they gave enough money. Then you glance at the requirements for admission and plan curriculum accordingly. Then be sure to take the proper tests early enough to allow for retakes - and don't worry about narrowing down till summer after sophmore year and visit a top contender or two sometime early enough in junior year. Be sure to have all the paperwork ready to go early in Senior year as most financial aid and scholarships are awarded early and the money runs out if you miss any scholarship priority deadlines.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I feel like I'm going to throw up!    

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

My kids aren't anywhere near this level yet (oldest is just kind of starting kindergarten work), but for what it's worth, my high school guidance counselor always insisted that we have all of our college applications finished by Thanksgiving. Then it was onto scholarship applications. So since your child is in school, you might want to make an appointment with the guidance counselor at his school because you will want their cooperation and maybe their resources, too.

We started hitting college fairs my sophomore year, and then weeding them out slowly through junior year and including some campus visits, which I would recommend. Things aren't always how they appear on brochures.

Try to stay calm, though. My parents were the sort that didn't pay much attention to when or how I did my homework. They knew I was the sort of kid who would do their best and not get in trouble. Then when it came time for SAT's, ACT's, and college applications they started freaking out and imposing strange curfews and threats and pressuring me. It still gives me a sick and angry feeling in my stomach just thinking about it. Not that I'm saying anyone on here would be like that, it's just I know stress can make us all do crazy things.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Molly,
My oldest dd has to apply for college like RIGHT NOW! and most of the scholarship applications are due no later than this December. Some were due this summer.

[Edited: oops! she's a senior this year ]

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version