Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: kids online... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

I have been thinking a little bit about teaching my older kids computer and Internet literacy. I'm of the mind that they already have plenty of unexplored resources to learn from, and I really don't want to do anything to encourage tech dependency yet. (I already spend too much time on the computer, dh uses it for work, and there's currently only one in the house...) Things like Webkins, surfing--they just don't do it right now. I totally intend to teach them, just taking my time about it.

Well. I just read this article about cyber-bullying and my instinct right now is to treat any Internet presence in my dcs' lives like the plague. I need a reality check--I mean, there's no sense in me running scared for years about this. An e-mail address so they can send messages to their grandmother would be okay, right? Some computer privileges might be good motivators.... What are some of your policies or practices? Ages, allowed activities, etc.

I'm so glad I homeschool...

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We allow our 16-yo 1 hour a day, after all lessons are done. This is done in our study where I occasionally pop in, actually look at the screen, ask who she's chatting with, sometimes chat with the person myself, etc. She's allowed to chat with 99% people we know, 1% people that she's "met online" through people we know (usually friends of 4real kids or IRL friends). I have a file of all her passwords and sites, so I can check up anytime I want, which I do every once in a while. I am also on all online communities she's in save for one (a Catholic teen forum put together by 4real kids), and I comment every now and then on her posts and correspondence, for fun, but also to maintain my "presence" and discourage any would-be stalkers.

Our 11-yo is allowed 20 minutes a day, after all lessons and chores are done, playing a game that I approve (usually pbskids or lego). He has an e-mail address but he has to ask permission before sending e-mail or checking e-mail, which he does about once every couple of weeks. Only family knows about this e-mail address. No chatting.

Our 8-yo is allowed 15 minutes a day, after all lessons and chores are done, playing a game that I approve. No e-mail.

Our 5-yo is allowed 10 minutes a day, playing a game that I approve. No e-mail.

They also blog a few times a week, usually about lessons, or things that happened to them; on Fridays I allow free-blogging (anything and everything).

hth,

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Nicole I'm so glad you asked this question, and Stef, I LOVE your parameters. They are so realistic and respectful of the dc. Appreciate your sharing this!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

What about family filters. DOes anyone have a good recommendation? We have one through our ISP that I don't like and we are looking for a new one.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Extra computer time in our house is earned by reading aloud to a younger sibling. My older son read through all the chronicles of Narnia, the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Series of Unfortunate Events (and more) with his younger brother over the past few years while earning computer time. No one can be on for more than 1 hour a day and they may only go to bookmarked sites. As I have gotten older and the family has gotten larger this has been a precious motivating resource. I cannot read as many read-alouds as I'd like to with everyone and this helps fill in the gaps.

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote helene

P.S. Computer time can also be docked as punishment! Although doing extra needed chores around the house is usually a more useful chastizing tool. If someone took away some family peace by starting a wrestling fight, they can put it back by cleaning up the livingroom they were in!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Nicole
How old are your dc?

My dc are allowed to use the computer, but not encouraged at younger age and the internet is not for the younger ones and not unsupervised for the older ones.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

I do allow my children on the computer. I have found several bookmarked sites. Usually it is an afternoon activity. I have realized lately I need to put some limit on time b/c it tends to get LONG. I'm liking putting a time limit on it.

Stacy
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version