Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Speaking of learning styles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

Has anyone here used the learning styles evaluation offered by Mercy Academy? Was it helpful and were the curriculum suggestions on target? I've been thinking of having my 10 yr old dd take it.

Thanks,
Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Yes! I used it about 2 years ago for my ds and it pegged him so perfectly and was the best $20 I spent on homeschooling. I had been doing some things right and the suggestions it made changed things for the better.    
Ds had fun doing it, too!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I just used it with both my dc in May and am now looking at how to implement the findings. I think it was well worth it, too!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My 9 and 11 yr olds took it this morning. I was rather disappointed. Both kids felt that many of the questions didn't provide an answer that fit them at all. I think that caused the results to be somewhat skewed.

There were some really good points, and I need to read through both evaluations again more thoroughly. But for the most part there wasn't anything new to me.

I think it is similar to many personality tests in that you end up picking answers that are closer than the others in describing you, but by picking that answer you end up giving a different perception of who you are than what is real.

I think it is a good tool, especially if you haven't studied learning styles at all, or you are really perplexed with a certain child. And at $20/child, it is probably worth doing even if it doesn't give you a "perfect" evaluation.

Hope that helps!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

I've been planning on using this evaluation, but I'm also about to go for STAA's program which includes a learning style evaluation. What kind of information is included in the results?

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

Thanks for the replies. You would think after 12 years of homeschooling I'd have some idea as to my children's learning styles, but I'm feeling more and more clueless. What worked one year doesn't seem to click the next year. $20. is cheap comapred to the money I've spent on curriculum though. I think I will try it with my 10 yr old dd. I was under the impression that they make suggestions for curriculum. Is this true?

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version