Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Sonlight PreK Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 05 2005 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I just received a new Sonlight catalog, and I was considering purchasing the PreK curriculum for next year. I didn't consider Sonlight before because I want to choose what topics we study and when, but I like the PreK booklist and I think it might be easier to follow the breakdown of stories than to plan it out myself. I'm thinking that it might help me to focus more on my younger two instead of having them tag along with my oldest. But maybe I just need to be more disciplined about that. What do you think? Have you used the Sonlight PreK? What did you think of it? Do you create a plan for your preschool aged children?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Cheryl, I just received my Sonlight order and I have the PreK, Core K and Core 3 for this year to use with my children. We just had a baby in April and I wanted to have the majority of my school scheduled for me so I could focus on the new baby and specifically my newly turned 3 yo. That said he is so excited about his very own school books and I have to say that I am very pleased as well. For this year we are probably going to just read all of the great books, but let me tell you about a yahoo group specifically geared towards SL's PreK. It's called SLPreschool@yahoogroups.com and the list owner Janet Fitts has put together a schedule with lots of extra's added in to use the PreK program over a number of years. It's a wonderful list and schedule. Let me know by PM email if you can't find it. If you want to chat about other Sonlight cores or have any other questions, I'd love to share ideas and info back and forth. Take care.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2005 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Meredith,

Congratulations on your new baby.

Are you going to use the PreK for your 3 yr old? My dd will be 3 at the end of this month and I thought she would enjoy the books, but maybe not the workbooks. I was thinking of buying the curriculum for my ds who will be 5 in December. Thanks for the yahoo group info. I will check that out.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Cheryl, thanks so much, and yes I have loosely started the PreK with him and just kind of looked at the workbooks. He actually did the first couple of pages in the DEL workbook #1 and did great, but I'll stretch those out for 2 years most likely. I like all the PreK selections with the exception of a few missionary stories and the Fmily Time bible is fairly graphic for a three yo IMHO. I have two other preschool type Catholic bibles that we will be using as well as The Beginner's Bible that my 1st grade son just finished with this past year. Let me know what you decide to do and if you have any more questions, it has been very enjoyable for him so far, especially to have his *own* books, just for him. God Bless.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2005 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I used PreK when my boys were 5 and newly turned 3. (I used the LAK and K math for the oldest). I didn't plan on using the workbooks for the 3year old, but he really wanted to do them as well, so I went back and got them. He did finish them all, although I did have to modify the later DEL books at bit. As to your original question - at the time, it was their first IG.   It jumped from book to book. If it's as it was then (and I have heard it is the same), then I would not bother with it. If I had it to do over again, I would have put the kids' books in a basket and let them pick out what they wanted to do.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version