Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Packaged curriculum with NO money Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BlessedWith3SNP
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 27 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote BlessedWith3SNP

I've used an Old Fashioned Education myself and we always had great success with it! Great site and everything is done for you.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I've challenged myself this year to build curriculum (ie reading lists, really, but for the younger kids I schedule the readings) exclusively around what we already have at home, plus the Baldwin Project. Every year I look at their lists of books and think, wow, what a treasure mine, and then I forget about them. So this summer I've made time to skim ones that look particularly good and add them to my lists for grades 2, 3, and 8.

So far I've found stories to buddy-read with my 2nd grader, stories to keep my 3rd grader busy while I work with the 2nd grader, no end of poems for copywork, good things to read for seasons/liturgical seasons, and a number of world-history/geography books (China, Japan, Russia, Mexico) for my 8th grader. The youngers are doing MEP for math, and I'm going to use Head of the Class (thanks to whoever posted that link in this thread!) for extra math plus spelling, writing, Spanish and fun stuff for the youngers. Then what budget I do have will go for resources, chiefly for math, for the 8th grader, who's been the kid "on hold" while my oldest did high school.

It's been easy to schedule the reading part -- each child just has a weekly list, and we'll see how quickly or slowly we move through it. I can print out chapters from Baldwin each week and put them in the children's binders for "weekly readers." What I really like about Head of the Class, as I've played around with it, is that it will schedule lessons, give us printable worksheets and flashcards as we want them, and offer interactive online things -- and I don't have to come up with ideas. I've thought we might do simple lapbooks on themes that HOC's science and geography offerings suggest, since the curriculum by itself is a little thin. We've done a couple of their art projects, too, which were fun (and the kind of thing I never get around to doing).

Even this might seem like too much work for someone in Joann's position right now, but I wanted to share, because this thread has inspired me in a big way. Having just graduated one child, I was feeling very burned out on the whole lesson-planning thing, but this free-resources idea has me going again.

So, thanks to everyone!

Sally

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but have you considered making a request of Book Samaritan?

http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/p/how-does-it-work.html

I would make a list of either programs or plans that are very open and go.

If most of the materials are "do the next page" type of stuff, that alone greatly reduces planning needs.

Sonlight and a few other popular planned out programs that have been around a while might come in used or donated.

It can't hurt to ask and might be a great help.   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Bumping as everyone is planning!

Please add any new FREE resources if you know of any!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

There's a newer thread about Easy Peasy Homeschool

found here: http://allinonehomeschool.com/

and not a curriculum but free math website https://www.xtramath.org

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

Easy Peasy is 100% free. All you need is a computer and printer. It's all there for you-and it's Easy Peasy for MOM, not the kids :). I am using Getting Ready 1 right now, my oldest dd has used Science-Zoology, and I will be using a lot more next year.

You would need to supplement Catechism/Religion, though, because it is Christian but not Catholic. Seton's religion books are fairly inexpensive and there's no need for a teacher's manual.

ETA: I see someone beat me to it .
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version