Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Order of science classes for high school Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Amy, I had a reply all written and then my toddler deleted half of it. Now I think what I really need is a cup of coffee. (That kind of morning. )

But have you contacted any of the admissions departments at colleges your dd might be interested in to ask about their services for learning disabled students and what they want to see on their transcripts, if non-traditional classes are a liability? I wouldn't rule out smaller, non-selective liberal arts colleges (of which there are many). I think it's easy to keep spinning our wheels, trying to figure out what colleges want, but I think the admissions departments would probably be happy to answer your questions, especially in the next month or so after admissions season is over.

Also, have you used Teaching Company courses yet? We're just starting to get into them, but I think they'd be a great resource for a dyslexic student.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

amyable wrote:
I need to *really* facilitate her chances to get into college, BUT at the same time I need to teach her in a way that sticks (which is non traditional). These things contradict and oppose each other!    I also think the schools she could probably get into more easily (CC, lesser state schools) don't "get" homeschoolers, creative transcripts, etc and just want to see the plug and chug of traditonal PS.

Actually, I think these smaller schools do look more at homeschool transcripts. Smaller state schools definitely look at PSAT/SAT scores based on the FLOOD of emails and correspondence we've received after my dd took the PSAT this past year and just did moderately well.

Non-traditional high school science packaged by year
I do think that your non-traditional route can continue in a way that fits with your and your dd's needs, Amy!! Take heart! You can build some great booklists and plan out a fantastic Biology course for her - your parameter is just that you're going to fit it in a package that is a school-year long. That's TOTALLY do-able! And you can do that again and again, each year. CHOOSE the overall science theme/course name: ie....Biology, Chemistry, Physics. Then, let the year unfold in the same way that your dd learns best, planning out plenty for her that fits under the wide umbrella of that science heading you chose. Move onto the next science theme the next year.

And this doesn't mean your dd can't come back to a passion/interest in a science topic later.....you can call that an elective, OR....if it's enough to qualify for an additional credit, you might call it BIOLOGY II.

Make sense?

Non-traditional science packaged after 4 years
I really want you to feel like you have options because in a non-traditional learning setting, and with a child with a learning challenge like dyslexia, I think options help us feel like we have room and space to breathe. YOU CAN do a completely non-traditional science route, covering topics across the spectrum of the 4 years of high school, and make it fly. Your only challenge there is going to be your umbrella school, because your transcript is going to look the same with neat little course labels under the science heading with a little 1 CREDIT mark out to the side. SO.....for the umbrella school, come up with a big picture high school plan to help give them a warm fuzzy. You don't have to be nailed to that plan, it's just a general idea that you'd like to cover BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, etc. Then, when you have to wrap things up for the year, just list what has been done, with an "I" beside a course name if your dd is still working on it. You might even list a percentage complete toward a credit for that end of year review. I'm not sure if this would work for you, or you'd be comfortable with it, but it is a legitimate option and I wanted to put it out there for you.

Packaging a transcript
A home educating family is free to embellish or be as creative with a transcript as they like in order to reflect the very rich and diverse learning that has taken place for a child. We have chosen to continue with our rich and diverse learning, which is mostly CM based, and to "package" it in a very traditional looking transcript. Frankly, I couldn't care less about a transcript. If my dd wants a creative looking transcript, she can write it herself. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't allowed public school/traditional school requirements to intrude on our learning at home. I'm just going to package our learning in a "language" and format that walks and talks like a traditional school transcript. Does that make sense? What I hope I'm communicating is that you can do this both for your umbrella school and her transcript. You package it with "traditional school" labels, and back that up with booklists and good records of what she's done for that course.

Does this make any sense, Amy? I know this seems daunting, but it's really very doable once you get your hands in it. Just because your dd reaches high school doesn't mean you've suddenly lost the very real gift of being the best person in the world to understand and walk alongside her education!!! Go with your gut, and trust your instincts on how she learns, how that looks, how it most intuitively plays out in a day, term, year. Let that continue joyfully, peacefully!!! The ONLY difference now is that you will "label" it so that it has a traditional school name.

I wish I could give this in person!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 23 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Cross-posting with Angela. And off to get a cup of coffee, too!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Amy, I have a dyslexic (and Irlen) child who wants to go into the sciences. We have done a number of things in highschool which seem to be working well:

~Khan academy: We look through her text, see where there is cross-over, and my dd watches these either as enrichment to the text or instead of (which we both prefer). She takes some notes if she thinks she needs them, pauses to work out the problems. He is a PERFECT fit for my dd (and me!) as far as teaching style.

~Getting a CD with a text: We have used a 'spine' text each year and have specifically chosen on that you can order audio cds with. My dd follows along while listening to the Cds (even for chem.)

~Audiobooks for the Natural History and living books portion of her courses: She has listened to Fabre books, The Disappearing Spoon, Rachel Carson books etc.

~Videos for Biology: We learned so much with the David Attenborough specials. Using our text as a spine, when we came to say Birds etc. we watched all of the Life of Birds specials.

~Mom reading: I would sometimes scan the section in our spine and teach from it for her. This got rid of the excess yammering and for a dyslexic slow reader really helped her access the information more quickly and in her preferred style (audio).

~Kobo: For this year, as we discovered that our dd has Irlen as well, we have science books for her KOBO! The grey screen happened to be her 'happy colour backgound' so the Kobo has been an instant success .

After going through biology with highschool kids already I now feel much more comfortable to bring in all these different and interesting resources (we have an awesome course that a blogger shared for next year planned) for my next in line. Biology is an ENORMOUS subject and there is so much room for diversity. I have different thoughts about Chemistry- at least for the child who might want to be a chemist (I have two of those at present). There seems to be so much knowledge that has to be more sequential- formulas and such. So this year we have followed a text and lab-manual. We have supplemented with the Khan videos and living books though to make it come more alive (although dd pretty much breathes math- so the more math in the chem the better!).

Phew....sorry about the tome! Hope there was something helpful there.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Amy, this is also a fabulous link to a course using Exploring the Way Life Works:

Biology

We are going to go with this one (but probably not quite so quickly!) The labs are all ones that can be done at home without a ton of money (or at least that is what I have seen so far). We used Froguts (the free version) for my son's dissections, as well as you tube- he is not a dissection person. Dd is a different case!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version