Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: How many library books at a time? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How many library books do you have out at a time?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
3 [5.45%]
7 [12.73%]
7 [12.73%]
18 [32.73%]
14 [25.45%]
3 [5.45%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged  

about the only thing I get anymore is "fun" books.. there is just so little I use from the library.. inter-library loan is impossible (well ok.. you can do it as long as you don't have any sort of time-line) I can take in a list of good books for a particular subject from here and find.. 1 or 2 if I'm lucky.

And I don't think the head librarian is all that fond of large families.. I've found that we tend to get blamed for anything that has happened to a book.. if the binding is already falling apart and a page comes out while we have it.. it's our fault.. if there's any scribbles or stuff on the book.. it's our fault (they blamed us for cereal one time and we so rarely have it that I KNEW that it wasn't from here) I just get the feeling that if we check out the book then it gets gone over with a fine tooth comb. I mean.. I can understand to them it feels like we never learn how to care for books I suppose.. because most families "outgrow" the toddler mishaps.. rather than STILL having toddlers 9 years and counting.

I just feel like I have to go through any book we get before we can check it out and if there's any damage at all, we can't get it or we'll be blamed for it.. not that it happens every time but all too often. - my oldest has come to me with a book upset because there's a spot in it that she didn't put there.. she knows she'll be blamed too.

So anyway.. when we get books.. we get 6-12 books.. but we also spend a lot of time without library books.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged  

Kathryn wrote:
Gosh...may be I should be embarassed that I answered 6-10

Nope! I voted for GOOSE EGG . Since August, we haven't borrowed one * single * book. Here's what happened...our schedule got filled up with driving hither thither and NONE of our outings are anywhere near the library (excuse 1). My advid reader no longer lives under our roof as she is at college (excuse 2.) My 15yo is reading many of the books available at home that we purchased/collected for his older sister (excuse 3.) My two youngest are also reading from the shelves and shelves of books at home that they haven't visited before (5yo) or in awhile, like old friends (11yo) (excuse 4.) I'm ALSO reading books that I've purchased over the years, favorites and books that I never got around to reading (excuse 5.) We have no time for DVDs other than the ones we own or are coming from Netflix (excuse 6.)

Shockingly, I'm not going through withdrawal . I wonder if the library staff will call soon to see if we're OK . I don't see us getting back to the library until January or until I become tempted to place a book order at Amazon or Dover .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged  

I voted for 51+

We have an amazing library system and I use it to its full capabilities. All of my "browsing" is done online and we rarely go to the library as a family. There are too many adults in the kids section during the day using computers and such so I don't feel comfortable leaving the kids to go search for books and the kids section has a lot of hidden places.

I'll give you an example of how we use the library. We are currently studying China as our first country in Asia in our continent study. I got our spine book and searched blogs and here for great titles both fiction and non fiction and then with both windows opened, I request books and have them sent to our library. Just to tell you how awesome our library system is in 6 years of living here we have only not had one series of books available and maybe 10 books total!!!!!

If the book is at another library it will take maybe 5 days to get to our library. When it gets to our library I get text messages on my phone and then I go by the library (when dh is home) and pick them up. (BTW we have our own shelf )

Each person gets a limit of 50 books so we usually have around 90-120 books out. Each book, audio book and cd's have 30 days and videos have 7 days. We can renew 6 times. (I've been known to keep history books for the whole semester) Fines for kids books are $0.05 a day and videos are 0.50 a day.

Oh and I check the website daily, the link is right next to all of you Ladies on my toolbar that way I can renew if needed or run to the library too.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged  

I usually have 75-100 at a time. A few times more than 100 -- that's only on my card. Just too addicted to books, and can't resist! And my boys are constantly on my case to pre-read books for them! ARGH. But hey, I *love* books. So not really complaining here.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged  

I can't believe how many you are allowed on one card! Where I am in Western Australia 15 is the limit per card and they only just increased that from 10. I'm wondering too, those of you who get 100, how do you manage to get them back to the car?

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged  

Sharyn wrote:
I'm wondering too, those of you who get 100, how do you manage to get them back to the car?

We have a couple of rolling backpacks that are only library book bags. When the kids finish with a book it goes into this bag and as I finish covering a subject the books go in there. When I go to the library for pick ups I take whatever is in there and fill it back up

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged  

I love the rolling backpack idea, Mimi!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged  

I voted other, since I have no idea! We use four differant library systems...our local library, one in the next largest city, our state capital library (where dh works), and our state library interloan. Dh and 19yo ds are the main ones to pick up holds, since I seldom leave the house except for Mass and groceries once a month. I pick out most of the materials via online catalogues, except the local libary, which isn't that computer savvy (yet). The family members who do library pick ups, also keep track of everything that's checked out and when things need to be returned. Only one library has a print-out, so it can be challenging...this year we've been able to keep library fines in check, only $2.00 in fines for videos, which is utterly amazing! I think we must have a guardian angel just for library books in our house! We use plastic tote baskets to keep things organized and tote bags for transporting. We also use a rolling cart, intended for suitcases...especially when we visit the library used book store.

One suggestion...ask your library if they have different limits on number of items checked out by homeschoolers...many do! Some libraries will limit how many books on the same subject can be checked out at the same time, however.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged  

Yes, we have a rolling backpack, but also, I check out about 30 at a time. We're allowed to renew up to 5 times and can keep books 3 weeks unless someone else requests it.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged  

Sharyn wrote:
I'm wondering too, those of you who get 100, how do you manage to get them back to the car?

I never get a 100 at a time. It's 10-20 per time and just collects. We live pretty close to the library so are there several times each week.

And the rolling back pack is a good idea. Especially for times when we have a large number due at the same time. we've done the "several laundry baskets full" deal many times.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 1:54am | IP Logged  

Mary

I love the ticker tape pic

I chose 51+ we may not always have that many out, but often do. In our family of ten we each have a card, which technically could allow us 600 books at 60 books a card!

Actually the librarians have never told me that they had increased the limit to 60, they told my ds13 when he asked one day but told him, "don't tell your mum."

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged  

I picked 51+, but frankly I don't know how many we have at a time. I never counted, and as far as I know, there is no limit. I don't have the same amount as Mary, but at different seasons of the year we go often, and there's a lot of flux and flo.

And if we get interested in a subject, I like to pull out related books and go on a reading frenzy. We had a visit to the beach for a week this month, and so we read and read about the seashore and such.

I've kept my fines pretty low. I've made one big mistake by returning my personal copy of "The Baker's Dozen" and not the library's, and couldn't understand how I was racking up the fines. By then my copy was gone.

Yesterday was interesting. Our library sells used books at the entrance, and on one cart I found a book that looked so much like ours...even the inscription (I had bought it used). Turns out it was ours; we had accidentally returned it. Now this I know has happened twice. I don't know if we've done it other times. Little people do strange things with books. I've got to be more vigilant about what goes in that bin.

Our library now charges 25 cents to reserve books online. It's still cheaper than buying a book, so I do it for convenience. So many of the books are at different branches or checked out. So I was paying my fines yesterday and the librarian said "Oh, so you're Jennifer Miller." I wasn't sure what she meant, did she know anyone in my family. "No, I just was putting all the books you had on reserve and pictured you differently. You're a homeschooler, right?"

Whatever gave that away?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged  

I like the rolling backpack idea, too. My little one I still keep in the stroller because he gets a little wild in the library...but it's also convenient to help carry my books to and from the car. I've been wondering what to do when we're not using the stroller. I'm really too little to carry these heavy bags.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged  

i use a folding crate with a handle to carry our library stuff. our holds are .50 each so i will use them only if a library is over 30 minutes away and not available at a nearby library (i have 4 nearby).
mary-ny
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged  

JennGM wrote:

Our library now charges 25 cents to reserve books online.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged  

I think 11-20 at a time.

I love that I can log on to my library account from home to request, reserve and renew books. It really simplifies things and helps me keep track of how many books we have out at any given moment. We are lucky that fines are still low. Overdue books are 10 cents a day, DVDs are $2.

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 31 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged  

I said other.

Books or me usually number in the 20+ out at a time but I read usually a book every day or day and a half.

For dd we usually do around 5-10.

Though we go to the library more than once per week so we have a constant rotation of return, pick up. Our library lets us check out as much as we want too so we are very blessed in that regard.
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged  

We usually have 50 or more out. We have three cards, and each card can have 45 items checked out on it.

I try to do my big book order (from inter-library loan) at the beginning of the month. I just did my November one yesterday (online). So, on the first Friday of the month I pick up a bigger amount of books. I have a collapsible shopping cart in my car I can use if they are too heavy to carry.

We return the books we are done with as we go along. Friday is Library Day this school year, so every Friday morning I log on and see my return list. I then renew any that are due but still needed here. Then I gather up everything else due plus any we are done with but aren't due yet. This makes the weekly loads going back a bit lighter.

Fortunately for me I am not very far from the library. I drive near or past it almost every day anyway.

I only paid one fine once. I completely forgot we had a video out, and I was late returning it by a day. The availability of online access and having a set weekday for Library Day are the two keys to me avoiding fines.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version