Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: POLL: summer home education (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Do you consider your family as home educating throughout the summer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [50.00%]
17 [22.37%]
11 [14.47%]
10 [13.16%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged  

dakotamidnight wrote:
Does anyone school during the summer and take their break during the fall/spring?

YES!!! We enjoy this! We take long breaks during the fall and spring, and also a long break over Christmas. For the heat of the summer, we do formal work.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged  

We take breaks as we need them (determined by my "work" schedule and family events) - and have some formal and lots of informal learning year-round. At some point, we'll start taking what looks like more of "formal" breaks just so it feels like a real break....

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged  

guitarnan wrote:
Theresa, is Sam going to Philmont?

Yep!!!! He is super excited about it, too!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged  

dakotamidnight wrote:
Does anyone school during the summer and take their break during the fall/spring?

If we lived in Texas I would definitely do this. I think it would be great to do school during the "Ordinary Time" on our Church calendar. My kids would find the days of celebration even more special if they didn't have specific school work to do.
Buuuutttt, we live in Michigan and the summer is just so nice we really take advantage of it. It would be really hard to call the kids in for school in July - especially since we don't have air conditioning! They'd much rather be down by the river doing nature study!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged  

I picked other... I have given the boys a break every summer, in the past, but... for some reason, this year hasn't been the most fruitful and we are in dire need of knuckling down and giving a few subjects (which fall in the category of English! ) some greater focus.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged  

We have always gone through the summer but I am finding it harder as everyone we know takes the summer off. We take so many breaks during the year--many extended breaks while my parents visit-we really need to go through the summer. But we just want to enjoy the 2 1/2 months of nice weather we get. It is hard...
This year I tried to count days and stopped in November because my parents came for 3 weeks, and then we recovered with no schoolwork and then Thanksgiving and Christmas. Two months off when all said and done. Yup, we really need to go through the summer...and I stopped counting my days..

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged  

Good question!

No - I consider us as summer vacationing and I can't wait!!!   

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged  

I put other because the learning never stops! With that said, am I ruining my kids if we don't do much formal stuff outside of Saxon Math and the necessary standardized test? (I always consider us officially done when I get the test scores back and they're in the 50+ percentile.) I still find myself on the fence between 'unschooling' ( I use that term loosely) and classical....

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged  

I have to school...otherwise, chaos ensues.

It's better for my littles in terms of maintaining a rhythm for the day.

And they like it. ;)

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged  

We'll be doing Math (teaching textbooks), Explode the Code, speaking spanish, and reading, reading, reading... as per usual. Informal nature study too.

We have lots of events and camping and have no qualms about ditching school altogether for a week or two... but we maintain a light, formal summer... only takes about an hour each day anyway.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged  

Crash course - Trier!
We will be learning about the city of Trier, Germany and it's roman history... My dh studied there and loves history and he will be our guide. Opa will be travelling with us a lot this summer, too, and he always has stories.

I would like to spend more time preparing our family for Sunday Mass each week. I need to make a new schedule that it has it's own specified time and place.

Perhaps, my oldest dd will take a homeschool connections course online. I believe it is from Maureen Whitmann. We have never done something like this before, so if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear about it.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged  

We enjoy the nice days when they come (fewer of them this year than some!) but we plan to keep schooling through summer.

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:06pm | IP Logged  

We really have to keep up with Math, or I find it's just too hard to get started again in the Fall. Also, we take so many breaks during the year, we really have to school over the summer

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 27 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged  

I checked "formal planned studies" because we school year round and I *do* plan...sort of. We just rarely follow the plan and end up tweaking and making things up as we go along. So "formal" doesn't really apply!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 28 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged  

Two more days to vote! Thanks for participating .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2010 at 10:09am | IP Logged  

We do a modified/less version of "formal studies" once the public schools are out (end of June), as our neighborhood kids all play together.

And, July and August are our GORGEOUS months and usually when we have lots of family visiting, so we're out as much as we can be!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 28 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged  

Becky asked a great spin-off question...

How would you approach year round school?

Join us over there if you have some thoughts on this!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged  

Poll closes today. Thanks for participating!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged  

We will probably have a couple of weeks off over the summer - probably one week before the schools break up and one week later when they are on holiday to facilitate some great days out with schooled friends.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged  

We generally take at least a few month of traditional time off in summer - continuing some unit study type activities. This year unfortunately we are pretty behind as March and May were lost, so will need to do more through the summer this year.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version