Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: I'm Maryan and you are? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Maryan wrote:

And Molly... I didn't know that you knew Monica or that your folks had Father for a pastor. But I knew the history of the house starting with Jenn's aunt!

Monica is one of my favorite people in the world! I haven't seen her in years, but she always inspired me to try harder to become holier. And she is so much fun!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, my turn to join the fun:
I am Theresa and my 5 things are:
1. I have 5 kids and 2 grandkids, none of which are completely biologically related to each other. (I'll let you figure that one out, but it is a combination of his, hers, ours, and adopted.)BUT we absolutely do not make any distinctions. There are no "steps" or "halves" in our family.
2. I have been married for 15 years to the love of my life, a Cuban-American who is the first in his family born in the US.
3.As both an undergrad and a graduate student I switched majors and concentrations and research projects so many times that I think I have studied a little bit of everything--a great preparation for homeschooling!LOL!
4.Dh and I have been dreaming and scheming about moving to Alaska ever since 6 years ago when we first went there on a whim.
5.I used to be a public school teacher but quit because (among other things) due to NCLB I was going to have to go back to school and get my license and I couldn't bear the thought of having to take those mind-numbing education classes.

And I have actually met Maryan, only once, and found her to be utterly charming!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

teachingmyown wrote:
Monica is one of my favorite people in the world! I haven't seen her in years, but she always inspired me to try harder to become holier. And she is so much fun!

Agreed!

lapazfarm wrote:
And I have actually met Maryan, only once, and found her to be utterly charming!

Aww...thank you! And I sat next to Theresa at Mass at the 4Real conference because 1) well, she's Theresa and I was so excited to meet her and 2) she kept one of my boys distracted from noticing that their dad was an the altar boy with Christian Foss. If he noticed, I would have had a little boy trying to run up to the altar to see his favorite parent.

And I wondered how you had so much background in so many different subjects!! I'm always amazed at your expertise in a VARIETY of subjects.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Hmm, it just occurred to me that I could probably do six degrees of separation with Jenn (and other FUS people) since I know bunches of people who graduated there and used to go up there several times a year.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Lisbet wrote:
His parents are pullin' for Dh and I to catch up to them!

I bet you will! My m-i-l got married at 19 like you and she's not 50 yet. Her youngest is not quite 3 yet. The insane thing is that she's had two miscarriages since the youngest so she COULD still have more . How weird if I was ever pregnant with my m-i-l!!

Maria (msclavel), I'm glad you are shy too! Cuz I am too, WAY better than I used to be now, but my heart goes out to you in this and the other thread where you talk about high school and being "uncool" That is so me too!!! I want you to know I TOTALLY think you are cool and I always love to hear what you have to say!

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

St. Ann wrote:

2. I hitchhiked through Israel with a girlfriend when I was 20 years old. (when I think back to this I think I must have been mentally ill!)

Now that is REALLY awesome! And mentally ill, , but awesome nonetheless!

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Oh, and Molly, how's Lost comin'? I am SO hooked too!! My husband grumbled and griped about me wanting to watch it and guess what?? He likes it too!
And we can do 4 episodes/per night. How many can you do?

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Maryan wrote:

Oh Anne, you're so funny! And truly your dh was very good.... until he threw a stink bomb in the bathroom at the end of the year. And then I thought (at first) the smell was due to natural causes, then I thought the old building had a gas leak (and yes, the gas company was called)... and then my guardian angel figure out the source! Your dh. It's one of my favorite memories teaching. I never would have guessed it of him.   

So Jon just told me more about his exploits in your science class (I got that wrong earlier!)-- do you know how much of your frustration he was responsible for??

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

1. My first two dc are the same age for 6 weeks every year, fun for her, terrible for him!   

2. My dh is 2.5 years younger than I am! I often fudge his age, as it bugs me to say he's now 30 and I am 33!!!!!

3. I love to camp, we own a terrible old tent-trailer, it is so ugly it is almost laughable, but what fun we have.

4. I love having 8 children and being a SAHM, most days I am very tired by the end of the day, but I wouldn't trade it for all of the gold in Northern Ontario!

5. I come from a family of cops and nurses, but I married a tradesman, because I wanted to have him come home to me every evening, and have every Sunday off. And I would have the priviledge of kissing his dirty, hard working hands everyday. P.S. Most days I feel like a cop and a nurse!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Maria, Marisa, msclavel

I have sort of the same problem with my nickname. I'm Kacky, but my real name is Kathryn. I never correct doctors or dentists or the like. So whenever I've given birth, the doctors and nurses all call me Kathryn...it kind of weirds me out (and my dh) because I really don't think of myself as a Kathryn.

Anyways...this thread is way too fun and a challenge to keep up with

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Wendy wrote:
2. I inherited my mom's deep voice and have occasionally been called "sir" on the phone. Dh likes it, though.

Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

This thread has been so much fun to read, that I hold it solely accountable for the 4 loads of unfolded laundry piled on my bed and the sinkful of dishes. Thanks a lot Maryan. Nothing like a good thread to wreck my housekeeping discipline for the day.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I just emailed my sister, who is a member here, and told her that if she doesn't post 5 things about herself at this topic, I will do it for her . Am I a generous sister or what? She should be scared .

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Sarah M wrote:
the sinkful of dishes.

Oh wow! I have one of those too! And all b/c of this thread too (of course! who else is to blame?)

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

Oh...I wish I hadn't put this off...I got nothin', but it's been so fun to read everyone's.

1. My dh and I were set up on a blind date for a function held at my church (since birth). He later proposed there, we were married there and all the kids have recieved their sacraments there.

2. I am the middle girl of three girls - and apparently have brough the middle-child syndrome with me into adulthood.

3. My first 2 dc are girls...we just added ds #4...I am still trying to figure little boys out...but LOVING it.

4. I could eat Tex-Mex every night.

5. I have recently broken an addiction to nightly root beer floats - must be made with A&W and Blue Bell's Dutch Chocolate. hmmm maybe I haven't quite broken the addiction.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

AngieMc wrote:
just emailed my sister, who is a member here, and told her that if she doesn't post 5 things about herself at this topic, I will do it for her . Am I a generous sister or what? She should be scared .

And... I don't think I knew that you had a sister here!

And Uh-oh... AnneMcD... Do I want to know?

And Rebecca I love seeing you growing baby timeline!!    Mom of 8 in 10!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I do not know Maryan but after reading through this, I feel like I do.

1) Dh and I met on a blind date which was so blind that I didn't know it was a date.

2) My vices - Guinness beer, click-a-linkitis (that's when you click links like this and this), Thursday night television (CSI, Without a Trace, Survivor and The Office), Christian rock and U2.

3)My joys - adoration, laughing, weekend getaways with my husband, laughing, read alouds with my girls, laughing, a cup of Earl Grey on a rainy November day, walks on the beach in the winter, laughing, reading Brit. lit., Jane Austen, genealogy and .

4) In my former life, I was a preschool teacher and asst. director of a preschool.

5) I'm a very quiet person who prefers to blend in the background in large settings.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I'm loving all the posts! This is an awesome thread. Thanks for starting it, Maryan.

The closest I can get to Maryan is that we were once stationed at Quantico for a school and we lived in Northern Virginia for a year.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Angie Mc wrote:
I just emailed my sister, who is a member here, and told her that if she doesn't post 5 things about herself at this topic, I will do it for her . Am I a generous sister or what? She should be scared .

Love,   

Angie.....I got paranoid and had to stop folding to quickly do this before you did!!!

Since you know I don't like talking about myself, here I go.

1. I was born and raised in West Scranton, PA and married my husband 10 years ago who is from South Scranton.....a big no, no. Think West Side Story. I'm Irish and he's Slovack.
2. I met my husband at a bar (It's a Chinese Resturaunt now). I gave him a really hard time, so I don't mind admitting it!
3. Way back I looked like a cheerleader, but refused to be one, then I married one.
4. I love fashion, but hate the industry.
5. I love my sister more than words can say!!!! But, you all knew that didn't you?    

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Mare wrote:
5) I'm a very quiet person who prefers to blend in the background in large settings.

1. Me too, but look out if you get me one-on-one.   

2. I was an exchange student in Sweden when I was in high school. It was an eight week trip in the summer, and we spent most of the time on an island off the coast. I learned how to windsurf and had my first sauna there. I was told several times people thought I was Swedish until I opened my mouth and gave myself away.

3. I read Happy Are You Poor and decided I needed to stop spending a fortune having my hair wrapped in foil. My hair is now horizontally striped instead of vertically striped. My mother is appalled.

4. My husband and I attended one of the 2000 presidential inaugural balls. We rode around DC in a limo and flew in and out of town on a private yet for the festivities. I learned very quickly that a limo rider does not open her own door. The events would have been very exciting, but at the time I was six weeks pregnant with my daughter. All I wanted to do was take a nap or throw up.

5. I'm 5'8" tall. Maryan cannot be 5'8" tall because she is taller than I am. I stood next to her at the conference and it is so. One of us must be delusional. Psst. I don't think it's me.

Come on Paula you can do it!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version