Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: A New Springtime Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

saintanneshs wrote:
With only two weeks to go to our due date, I'm just trying to keep busy, wondering if this baby will EVER get here...I'd already had all of my others by this time (in the pregnancy)!!

The most beautiful springtime of all!!! What joy!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

saintanneshs wrote:

With only two weeks to go to our due date, I'm just trying to keep busy, wondering if this baby will EVER get here...I'd already had all of my others by this time (in the pregnancy)!!

Kristine!

We can be each other's pep squad! I'm due in 9 days!

I am very impressed with all you are doing! I am just getting math done and assigning independent reading to the two older kids--with my beginning reader--it's reading lesson and math--with a read aloud if I don't fall asleep!

Alice and all,
I think you and everyone is right--cheerful attitude and smiles go a long way to adding fun and a spring to our steps--also, decluttering makes me able to smile more!

Time to get off the computer and tackle the laundry basket full of stuff that needs a home...

Oh and my dd, 11, has been ordering seed and flower catalogues online (with my permission) and wants to plant our first real garden this spring--I think this will be our fun nature/unit study to work on after the baby arrives--with math and reading--it should make the first month or two postpartum quite busy BUT fun!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

Hmmm considering our due dates maybe we were all celebrating to0 hard last spring?

My due date is in about 2.5 weeks!

I definetly have had burn out the last few weeks but today was lovely!

We opened all the doors and windows- it didnt rain all day! The sun even peeked out for about 10 minutes.

The kids spent over 2 hours poking around with shovels in the dirt and I cleaned the whole back porch that was covered with now ruined boxes of stuff left over from our move.

I cleaned out all of my flower pots and dd organized all the shells and pebbles in her little Mary garden.

When it was time for lunch we went in - they were pleasant to each other and me and actually ate!

Then i contracted for an hour and we watched pbs (a little too much spring nesting )

We actually spent the rest of the afternoon snuggled on the couch and reading! Real books! I have been wanting to for a while but have been so tired that I have been neglecting everything. It was wonderful. We even got out the "school" stuff for this month organized and put in a special spot so dh or my mom can grab books/projects when the baby comes.

(we are reading "arctic" stuff including the fiar 1 book very last first time- not springy but the kids are excited)

It is amazing what a little bit of spring thinking can do!

I know the clouds and rain will be back soon so I will have to stock up on gardening catalogs to look at while nursing the new one.

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Jennifer and Maggie, springtime is indeed at hand! A whole flower bed of beauties on the way, it seems.

CathinCoffeland wrote:
We actually spent the rest of the afternoon snuggled on the couch and reading! Real books! I have been wanting to for a while but have been so tired that I have been neglecting everything. It was wonderful. We even got out the "school" stuff for this month organized and put in a special spot so dh or my mom can grab books/projects when the baby comes.

Maggie, to me, this is the perfect recipe for homeschooling with a new baby. Keep reading those great books, and you will never feel guilty or overwhelmed.

Oh, and I thought of one other way to fight burnout: Keep the children away from the TV! It is so tempting to let them watch just one more video (I do it all too often), but letting the kids watch too much tv brings out feelings of guilt and depression for mom and is not worth the momentary peace it may bring.

Speaking of Springtime, on the way home from violin lessons, we saw an entire bed of daffodils at the end of our street in full bloom! It was lovely to look at, but I'm thinking the real spring may suffer for it.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

For olders, the midyear blahs are a great time to look at what you have accomplished - and refuse to dwell on what has not been done until you get the first part. I usually have an informal review of what is working, what the child finds discouraging, etc. My teens are usually looking at - oh my, I hope I'm not doing (insert least favorite subject) all summer.

The best thing I do at this time is elicit suggestions from the teen on any subjects which are being neglected, or in which we are seemingly behind. The teens have a wonderful capacity for solutions to these kinds of things - and find amazing ways to accomplish what needs to be done in a more palatable way - or at least a way that guarantees a free summer. The more I listen, the better things begin to look. But solutions tend to be unique to each teen so I cannot use the idea of teen 1 for teen 2, etc.

We never get really cold, though, that we cannot get out so cabin fever doesn't happen here until the heat of summer (we just tend to engage in the mid-year temptation to panic - when you can either focus on what has been accomplished or all that is left to be done).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

The key for me is respit. When I am struggling, be it from burnout, lack of sleep, or anything else, a little extra time for respit makes all the difference -- some time in Adoration, quiet prayer time in my room when dh gets home, a quick walk around the block -- alone -- to reflect on God's creation and my many blessings. It helps me put it all back in perspective.

Other great aids: music; those "love of learning," mommy-nourishing books (like Elizabeth's); a phone conversation with a good friend; a look back at last year's pictures (we looked through some 2001 family pics yesterday and had such fun).

Another idea that occured to me today is to open a window. I realize that it is cold up north (even if it's not as cold as it could be), but those "outdoor" sounds are a breath of fresh air for me.    I must frequently crack open a schoolroom or living area window in order to keep an ear on my little ones. Even if it's 45 and humid outside, I open it just enough to hear (now maybe I wouldn't if it were 30...). Last winter we often did this in the middle of the night (can't remember why) and heard the barred owls calling in the woods behind our house. I so wished that we could go owling at those moments! It was certainly inspiring.

And what about tea (or some other special drink)? On bleak or cold days my cup is almost always full! I go from coffee and tea to herbal teas. I splurged this year on flavored creamer and a larger variety of holiday teas (inspired by Dawn's blog). If that's not enough, a lone trip to Starbuck's or Barnes and Noble or even the library would do wonders for me.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

alicegunther wrote:
Speaking of Springtime, on the way home from violin lessons, we saw an entire bed of daffodils at the end of our street in full bloom! It was lovely to look at, but I'm thinking the real spring may suffer for it.

How did I miss this? What sort of crazy winter are you having? First MacBeth writes about hawk nestlings and now you find daffodils? It's January, not June!

Though this would make your production of A Midsummer Night's Dream even more surreal to hold it at Midwinter with spring flourishes!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Janet, I really like the idea of consulting the teens for suggestions. It sounds like a good way to keep spirits high.

Janette wrote:

Another idea that occured to me today is to open a window. I realize that it is cold up north (even if it's not as cold as it could be), but those "outdoor" sounds are a breath of fresh air for me.   

So simple, and yet so marvelous, Janette! I will remember to do this tomorrow!

marihalojen wrote:

alicegunther wrote:

How did I miss this? What sort of crazy winter are you having? First MacBeth writes about hawk nestlings and now you find daffodils? It's January, not June!

A row of cherry trees is in full bloom near the seashore and our rhododendrons are swelling (much to my dismay). At ten o'clock this morning we saw a big red fox on our tennis court. It's like something out of the Chronicles of Narnia.

BTW, it's been a real bummer trying to drive my sledge in the mud.

Cottage Blessings

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Here it's always winter, and not Christmas anymore C'mon, bring your sledge...we may need it.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

!!!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I felt the warm spell as well. What's left of our snow is sludgy (if that's even a word). Is it global warming?

Oh, and Jennifer, the daffodils in England are the second flowers to appear, right after the wild crocuses. They start arriving in January or February. But England has relatively mild winters. One in three winters we were there did we have enough snow to build snowmen.

Kristine, I'm jealous. My babies generally come two weeks LATE, by which time I'm exhausted from carrying the extra weight around. They're just happy as can be to stay safely inside their chrysalis.

When we get tired of *flying by the seats of our pants* (as I am now), I run frantically back to FIAR. I'm gently guided, but not told exactly what to do. Also, I'm making a point of studying with my LITTLE (preschool and kindergarten) children. They so desperately need the attention. And I need the break from the older kids. The littlies and I are actually rowing My Blue Boat. My middlies and I are studying Stopping by the Woods. And the eldest and I are doing History Links. My plan is to supplement History Links every so often with BYFIAR or even just FIAR to do something different.

God bless,

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Great thread! Thanks for starting it. Winter is very hard for me. I start to feel very trapped.

For us winter is a time for. . .

baking
paper snowflakes
birdfeeders
garden plans
letting the kids circle things in seed catalogues
learning to knit (new this year for me)
read alouds-digging old favorites!
puzzles

SNOW adds its own fun. . when we get it.

We're going to try a new noon Mass that is starting at our parish .

Thanks so much for the above suggestions because I find it very difficult to keep plugging away. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Sarah wrote:

We're going to try a new noon Mass that is starting at our parish .

All great suggestions, especially this one!

Cottage Blessings

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Alice, I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion to turn off the T.V. Over the Christmas holidays, I became very slack in the T.V habit. I was starting to feel very guilty that I wasn't instilling good habits in my children. I felt like their creativity was being stifled. So this week, with going back to school, we have turned off the television. I thought I would have a mutiny on my hands, but no one said a word. It was as if they were relieved that they could actually play now. We have had three great days so far. I am so enjoying listening to my children as they put on plays set in the medieval age. This is my springtime.

Blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

alicegunther wrote:
Oh, and I thought of one other way to fight burnout: Keep the children away from the TV! It is so tempting to let them watch just one more video (I do it all too often), but letting the kids watch too much tv brings out feelings of guilt and depression for mom and is not worth the momentary peace it may bring. .

I find it not only brings out feelings of guilt and depression for me, but anxiety, clinginess, and neediness in my children. The TV is rarely on here (although Friday nights are turning into movie night here) and when the tube is on, it is limited to 1/2 to 1 hour - but my children awake from the TV induced stupor only to be cranky, and needy, and clingy, and obstinate. In the end, the little bit of "stuff" that had to get done during that time is negated by the things still left to do because my children need me even more.

alicegunther wrote:

Oh, I hope not. I just noticed this morning that our own daffodils are standing high - about eight inches - not in bloom but certainly ready. Alas, its in the twenties tonight and I would hate to leave those poor fairies homeless in the spring!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

alicegunther wrote:

BTW, it's been a real bummer trying to drive my sledge in the mud.

I can't think of anyone less White Witch-like than you, Alice!

Things I do to battle burn-out this time of year (most of these have been mentioned, but I'll chime in anyway):

Ease back into "real life" slowly. After our leisurely pace during Advent and Christmas, it's tempting to crack the whip and get into a routine NOW. I find that I'm happier when I set more realistic expectations, and get us back up to speed over a week or two, rather than in one day.

Take a short coffee break in the middle of the day. I don't do this often enough, but lately have been aware of the need to stop and recharge during the day.

I would love a noon Mass! Our parish offers that only during Lent, but it's such a great time for families.

Re-read favorite "Mother Culture" books as time allows, or reread an alltime favorite novel.

Like Sarah, I'm teaching myself to knit, and I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying it. It's rejuvenating to learn something new, and now my 10 yo can't wait to get her hands off of her Knifty Knitter and onto some knitting needles!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We are going to attempt noon Daily Mass as well. We used to go at 5:30(pm), but since my youngest quit napping in August, 5:30 is NOT a good time! He is either cranky or falls asleep on the way.

Karen E. wrote:
Ease back into "real life" slowly. After our leisurely pace during Advent and Christmas, it's tempting to crack the whip and get into a routine NOW. I find that I'm happier when I set more realistic expectations, and get us back up to speed over a week or two, rather than in one day.

I second this wholeheartedly! I used to put such pressure on myself to "get back to business" both after Christmas and in September. This year, we've added things slowly, and it has made all the difference.

Another thought that came to me this morning: Do something fun and different. I love crafting, but never do it unless it's a project with the kids or a Christmas present for someone. This year, I didn't make any Christmas presents, so I had missed that creative outlet. This week I painted butterflies on a glass votive holder as part of a group gift to a lady who is ill. It only took little bits of time here and there, but was so refreshing!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Janette,
Don't worry if it's not comfortable, but if you want to post a picture I'd love to see it.

I love decorating candle holders.

Maybe I need some Craft Time!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Gwen, I don't mind at all! I'm afraid that you might be a little disappointed, though. It was rather simple and quick, but still VERY fun and relaxing for me.      I just love crafting!

I got the idea from a magazine clipping, though this Springtime thread certainly influenced the choice! There are 3 large and 3 small butterflies. I should have put white paper inside the candle holder before taking the picture.   

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Oh no...not disappointed at all! It's so cute and well done. Thanks for the photo.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version