Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Vitamins and other supplements? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2006 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

deleting for privacy reasons
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote KASB

I used to buy Rainbow Lights through our co-op in Kentucky, then found them in the natural food section at Fred Meyer's in Alaska, so I don't think they're regional Here in lower Alabama, where you can only find peanuts and fire ants I order them on-line through either Vitacost or Drugstore.com

Rebecca, I have several bottles that I ordered last year when Drugstore.com had a buy 1/get 1 free sale, and would love to send you one. That way you could try them out and see if they work for you. PM me with your address and I will pop them in the mail.

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 (8 boys-23,13,10,8,7,4,2,10 mos. and 1 girl-22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I am anemic and have some arthritis. Years ago, I used to take GNC's multivitamin and supplement with extra magnesium and C. Then GNC started affecting my stomach. I switched to Shaklee and then to Optivite. Both ruined my stomach for the day. I tried taking fewer vitamins (just 2 optivite and nothing else) on a full stomach. It didn't help. Finally I quit taking vitamins. Now I am at a point where I don't have a choice. I need to supplement again. In the Brewer's yeast thread I posted what I'm taking now and how it's making me feel. I have no clue what to try next. Is Rainbow Lights easier on the stomach? Is anything out there easy on the stomach?? I'm wondering if it's all in my brain and just the *idea* of vitamins will make me nauseous no matter what brand I try after all the real nausea I've gone through.   

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

KASB wrote:
Rebecca, I have several bottles that I ordered last year when Drugstore.com had a buy 1/get 1 free sale, and would love to send you one. That way you could try them out and see if they work for you. PM me with your address and I will pop them in the mail.
)

Thanks so much Kym! I will pm you now.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I'm in the same boat as Janette! Help, it's so over-whelming!

I'm horridly anemic and have been for a good 15 years. Even with the rx iron supplements - I've never gotten above a 6 iron level. After the birth of little Bridget last month, they checked me at the hosptial and it was a 3!    They were/are VERY concerned. And I'm so tired and cranky and constipated!

I saw Shaklee's VitaLea is only $24.75 for 2 months worth - that's not a bad price at all! I'm going to the organic grocery store to see about Rainbow Lights tonight.

I'm also interested in the oils, but against lost at sea as to what to get... ARGH! It's like the first day I decided to look into hs-ing!

I'd like to find a vit/min suppliment that's no more than 1 or 2 a day + an oil suppliment that's 1 a day. So you ladies have given me some hope in that area. It's so expensive to buy any suppliments and in the past I received so little results, that I stopped.

But something has to be done, so I'm going to try some of the recommendations. If they work out for me, I'll buy them for the kids/dh too.

Thanks!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

My husband heard salmon oil is a wonder-worker so we started that! (I just wanted to further confuse everyone.)

He really feels a difference (who cares if it's a panacea effect!)---and they are relatively inexpensive. Let's face it: I don't think we can go wrong with these healthy Omega 3 fish oils or any good supplements in this Pop Tart World. Sigh.....my f-i-l just bought my children a huge box at Costco....

God bless,
Nina and Fam
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm going to through a suggestion, but to let you know that I have not used this suggestion myself. A friend of mind is a doula and recommends
Hal Ewing in Dallas, Texas, for a vitamin source. Here is a link to some articles he has written. He does not have a computer, or answering machine (or other modern fineries for that mater ). But a friend of Hal's has posted Hal's articles on his web site. That friend also sells the GNLD vitamins. So you could go to the home page and check out the different products and get an idea for the prices. They are not cheap! However, they are not like vitamins you buy over the counter! They are from whole food sources and the way they process them is really unique too.

Read one of Hal's articles on Vit E. It may be very eye opening. Talking to Hal is like talking to a talking encyclopedia on health and the Bible. It is worth it to call Hal instead of just ordering from a web site because Hal gives wonderful honest advice and doesn't charge for the phone call. He is truly amazing! Here's the link; Regarding Me.

PM if you want his phone number to call him for advice and an order.

My mother did try out these vitamins. She couldn't swallow or keep down any vitamins at one time, having a bad hiatal hernia, heartburn and nausea. She couldn't eat even regular food. She did have great success with these vitamins, and talking with Hal he gave her recommendations.

Why haven't I tried it? My budget...I have vitamins in the cabinet, and I can't go off trying new ones until these are all gone.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Have any of you used the Shaklee's Vita-Lee w/ iron during pregnancy? I've taken Professional Prenatal for the last 2 pregnancies, but I still struggle w/ fatigue.

If I decide to try Shaklee's, do I need to find a consultant or what?

Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Dawnie wrote:
Have any of you used the Shaklee's Vita-Lee w/ iron during pregnancy? I've taken Professional Prenatal for the last 2 pregnancies, but I still struggle w/ fatigue.

Dawn

Dawn,

I have taken Vita-Lea with iron during pregnancy since baby #4 (he'll be 14 in a week!). My doctor approved them and they are the only kind I take . . . ever. Anything else makes me sick. You do need to buy them through a distributor but just look in the phone book and you should be able to find one.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Dawnie wrote:

Hi Dawn,
I have also taken Shaklee's Vita-Lea w/iron (plus others) through pregnancies - the last four, to be exact! I switched over for many reasons, but one was that I'd had terrible leg cramps during my first pregnancy and I noticed after I was most of the way through the second pregnancy - No Cramps!! I also took/take Shaklee's calcium and I think that was the key!

You can also go to shaklee.com and at the top there is a link to find a distributor. It's not necessary to have one locally anymore, but it's a place to start.

God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2006 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I have not tried these vitamins, but I remembered someone (it turned out to be Mary) had recommended a vitamin that got rid of morning sickness. Well, I finally found the post and hope that some of you find it useful :-)

from this post...

mary wrote:
Congratulations Alice! I hope you are feeling well - i have discovered a prenatal that gets rid of morning sickness (duet/dha) if you are plagued as i am. i grew up in a family of 7 girls. we always said if there had been a boy he would have been spoiled rotten.     

i listed the name of them earlier (duet/dha), but here is a blurb about them. they are small, contain omega 3 fatty acids, contain a stool softener, and ferrochell iron, which apparently reduces nausea. all i know is that if i take the pill, no nausea. if i miss it, i am throwing up. they are like magic.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Martha

jen -
I see from the blurb you sent that it is by dispensed as an rx... are they beneficial to take while nursing/not pregnant? I have horrible HMG sickies when pregnant, I wonder if this would head the wosrt of that off if taken before pregnancy?

I have a post-partum check up in August and could ask for an rx then...

thanks!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote mary

martha, i'm still taking them and i'm nursing. i never had such an easy pregnancy and recovery and i turn 41 next week.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Are they the only suppliments you take, or should I still consider getting that PLUS shaklee or whatever?

Also about the Rainbow Lights... our local organic store only carries the 1 a day stuff, I couldn't find the prenatal ones?? or is that the same thing? Heaven help me, I had all 8 kids with me so my brain was a bit fried trying to sort through the labels with 1 eye on them.

Thanks for this thread ladies!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote mary

i have used the rainbow prenatal in the past and prefer the duet vitamin. the duet is the only thing i take and there are 2 pills - the vitamin and the omega-3-FA. i don't know anything about the shaklee vitamins. you might print out the ingredients of each and compare them to decide which vitamin is better.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2006 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathhomeschool wrote:
I am anemic and have some arthritis. Years ago, I used to take GNC's multivitamin and supplement with extra magnesium and C. Then GNC started affecting my stomach. I switched to Shaklee and then to Optivite. Both ruined my stomach for the day. I tried taking fewer vitamins (just 2 optivite and nothing else) on a full stomach. It didn't help. Finally I quit taking vitamins. Now I am at a point where I don't have a choice. I need to supplement again. In the Brewer's yeast thread I posted what I'm taking now and how it's making me feel. I have no clue what to try next. Is Rainbow Lights easier on the stomach? Is anything out there easy on the stomach?? I'm wondering if it's all in my brain and just the *idea* of vitamins will make me nauseous no matter what brand I try after all the real nausea I've gone through.   

I've used a nutritionist up in Altoona, PA a few times and she uses Nature's Sunshine products. I've had great success with them, little nausea. I'm not saying you should try all their products, but I did notice this one Menstrual Reg which on the label says helps for heavy periods. You can see the herbs it has. Just thought that might help a little.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lora
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 10 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lora

If you want a great place to buy vitmains check out vitacost.com. They carry Rainbow Light and a bunch of other brands and for a very good price. I've been ordering from them for a couple of years and have been very pleased.
Lora
Back to Top View Lora's Profile Search for other posts by Lora

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Thanks for the suggestion, Jenn! I'm not taking any herbs at all, so I'll check those out.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I know I'm a bit late on this thread, but as my Professional Pre-Natal Formula ran out and I have to mail order it at about $20 per bottle, I thought I'd check out some of these recommendations. I found Rainbow Light prenatals at our Target for $7.99 per bottle - lots cheaper by far. It looked fairly comparable to my other ones except in 2 areas. It had 30 mg of iron where my vitamin had 18 mg. My vitamins had no vitamin K. I am very nervous about the 65 mcg of vitamin K as this is produced in our own intestines and too much can cause blood clotting problems. Since my grandfather and my sis (and probably my mom) all had some degree of blood clot problems (my sis's being the worst after she was on Shaklee vitamins - she is the one that made me check my other vitamins. She cannot eat foods which promote vitamin K without problems so any vitamins with K are out for her for sure). Anyways, I am very nervous about the vitamin K. I also typically don't need much iron at all - just loads of B vitamins and I don't want to overdose on iron.

Does anyone have a good alternative vitamin without the vitamin K and with small iron quantities.

I have an iron stomach so am not worried on that count and really don't have a problem taking multi pills. Professional Prenatal required two with each meal so it was spread throughout the day and I kind of like that because I can slightly adjust my dose when I'm not pregnant or nursing (say taking 4 instead of 6 per day). If it was available locally where I could buy one bottle at a time, I'd probably just take a deep breath and pay the price - but I also have to order, and wait for delivery of the vitamins. These really make a difference in my energy level. What about optivite - how does it compare to what I have. Do you have to take extra B with it. I know I was told to take more Folic acid - 1000 or something like that so I'll have to get extra of that anyways - either vitamin.

Anyways, sorry to bring up old information. Also is there an easy place to find Cormega that would be down south. I have a harder time finding this kind of thing. In the meantime I just bought some Flax seed capsules - don't know anything about the brand but I've got to do something as I see myself slipping. I'm gaining weight with more exercise and better diet - maybe I should just go back on the natural thyroid but I don't even know if I have a problem. My hair is falling out and I am back to feeling pretty distracted and hard to concentrate. I still have not been able to shake the fluid retention from my last preg. (and this guy is almost 4 yo now so something is definitely wrong).

Thanks. I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Hi Janet,
Have you checked with your doctor on the thyroid issue? Did I miss something from an earlier post? If so, I apologize!! Also, it may not be right for you, but I have read recently that Shaklee came out with a new multi that has no vitamin K and no iron in it. Now, they bill it for people over 50, which you may or may not be ... but I wanted to let you know. I can get info from my upline (and friend...) Let me know if I can help.
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version