Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: What are you trying new this year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Loving, loving Visual Latin here! We liked Prima Latina but it felt mildly tedious moving into Lingua Latina 1. Visual Latin is such a relief... and so awesome that by the end of the First Lesson, full sentences can be said! With Prima Latina it seemed like mostly vocabulary memorization and the occasional prayer. Visual Latin jumps right in and my 10 and 8 year olds are excited to be able to translate very, very basic Latin sentences already.

Love the method. Love how mom-friendly it is. Visual Latin is to Latin what Teaching Textbooks is to Math. Takes the agony and burden off the mother...

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I've read great reviews of Visual Latin too.

This year we are trying Logic of English all together for review and reinforcement.

Switching math programs for the 4th time to Teaching Textbooks

Transitioning into Connecting With History for 7th grader.

Older three kids are in lessons for one instrument instead of two

I'm going to use more audio books for read aloud time so I can work on little sewing/hand crafts.

Once or twice a week when my oldest has ballet from 6:15 - 7:45 I am going to park myself at a coffee shop and read!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ok so I had to go and check out Visual Latin.. very cool looking.. and not horribly expensive.. especially when you consider I could use it for all the kids.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Having our five oldest, 17yrs - 10yrs come together for 'English lessons'. Spelling, Poetry Analysis and Essay Writing, the children are really loving the synergy, and we have seen some go from disliking English to enjoying it.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 04 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

Let's see - Winston Grammar for the 5th grader (great program, thanks for the recommendation Jenmack!) lots of ebooks (Heritage History and Yesterday's classics - bought collectins of each this summer!    ) and while the books are great I am still working out the kinks in trying to mark how far my daughter should read. It is a lot harder to use post-its effectively on a Kindle! I am also trying to do more Montessori activities with my 1st grader and 4 yo. I recently read Montessori in the Classroom and am inspired to try some of the things she mentions for skill building in these two boys. I also completed gutted the school room over the summer and am being very fierce about what gets put back in there! it is such a better environment now. I wish the kids could better understand, but they seem to lack the ability to analyze the situation and compare. Just too young, I suppose. But I am glad I am making a hard line and not giving in!!

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 04 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

Oh, and how could I forget - my husband is doing a programming class for our 5th grader! Am I the only CM'er who has programming as a required subject in her homeschool?      That is what I get for marrying a techie I guess!!

Amber

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Amber-v wrote:
Oh, and how could I forget - my husband is doing a programming class for our 5th grader! Am I the only CM'er who has programming as a required subject in her homeschool?      That is what I get for marrying a techie I guess!!

I'm also married to a techie and I also have programming as a required course for my 10YO. LOL.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

margarita
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 04 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote margarita

[QUOTE=Amber-v] Oh, and how could I forget - my husband is doing a programming class for our 5th grader! Am I the only CM'er who has programming as a required subject in her homeschool?      That is what I get for marrying a techie I guess!!

Same here, too! But.... only for the boy child.    Okay really it's due to personality and aptitude and interest, not gender.

One arriving February 2013
Back to Top View margarita's Profile Search for other posts by margarita

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version