Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Fabulous Videos on CM Education Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
keac
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote keac

What a TREAT!

We had our first snow yesterday; only 2 inches, so nothing really to get excited about except that's it been unseasonably warm all winter. So in the spirit of truly enjoying, I put on headphones, sat by the roaring fire and treated myself to the first 10 chapters last night.

The timing is just right; I need these reminders every so often to elevate my sights from the routine of it all to the Why and How.

Had me thinking throughout it all of the areas that perhaps are needing more order, and others that are calling out for some simplicity, and all the ways I could bring more Beauty and *sigh* much, much more Joy.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

16 12 10 5 3
Back to Top View keac's Profile Search for other posts by keac

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Becky Parker wrote:
I just watched video 6 about atmosphere. Sigh. After teaching in schools for 10 years and mostly having "kiddie art" on my walls there, I wish I would have seen this and read about CM a lot sooner. If I ever went back to classroom teaching it would certainly look a lot different.
Now I'm looking at my home and trying to decide how I can make it more aesthetic for learning! Alot of that "kiddie art" transferred to my home when we started homeschooling. We have a school room in our basement that has lots of cutesy borders and things hanging up. But, the kids really don't like to be down there. They prefer learning in our sunroom so that is where we've been lately. The view of the forest and river and the natural light win out over neon and primary colored stuff on the walls!

This reminds me of what I'm reading in The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder.

I'm not all the way through, but he mentioned how longer the attention spans, longer the retention rate if just viewing nature from the classroom windows.

I hear you on the classroom decorations. The atrium my son attends does little elegant inexpensive touches like adding paper around matchboxes, like Florentine -- my absolute favorite! I would decorate in early medieval manuscript and Florentine scrolls all the time!

I'm making all my own personal connections, but in reading Louv I just keep nodding that Charlotte Mason already practices all his newfound conclusion. She saw it all before he was born.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

FWI,
For anyone that didn't realize it, like me, there are a whole slew of videos, not just the first 3 on the page linked.

If you look under the main tabs, there are the links to the other chapters.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Well....as you can imagine, I am delighting in these!

I finished up my morning work and we made it to an early lunch break so I rewarded myself with the first 6 videos. I'm way behind all of you, but truly enjoying the presentations! Goodness, but they echo what I believe and have sought to put in place for so long --

Joy (and in particular, supernatural joy) that imbues an atmosphere of learning.

The atmosphere as beautiful; a space which invites learning, invites connections, conveys beauty and order. Atmosphere which is not artificial, contrived, out of a box, but rather is.....organic, an ordered and beautiful reflection of the home, the family, the domestic church. This removes such a burden really! There is no need to step outside of ourselves as family when we consider the atmosphere of our home. In fact, it is almost counter to the purpose if we do so. Atmosphere in our learning spaces should be a natural extension of who we are as family. Their structure and layout should be pleasing and inviting as well as genuine, real, substantial. This is why a bookshelf or a table and chair near a window is never a decorating no-no!

Well, you know I'm figuratively jumping up and down here! Windows. Sunshine. Books pleasantly arranged. Tools attractively provided. Atmosphere which communicates invitation and exploration. Wonder.

Yes, Jenn, I do see the many, many similarities and parallels to Montessori education in these ideas!

And further, I again see the importance to continue cultivating an atmosphere which breathes truth, order, beauty, simplicity because of how formative these are for a child. What lofty, yet delightful marching orders.

Haven't gotten to masterly inactivity yet so I'll wait to share my thoughts until after I see the presentations. I'm eager to finish up my afternoon work so I can reward myself with a few more presentations!

Jenn,
What would you think of breaking our discussions here up into threads which reflects the chapter groupings of videos so that folks that may be behind in watching can still add their thoughts in pertinent places?

What a delight! I'm so glad you shared the link to these, Jenn!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Jenn,
What would you think of breaking our discussions here up into threads which reflects the chapter groupings of videos so that folks that may be behind in watching can still add their thoughts in pertinent places?

Let's go for it, Jen! these are great little videos, not too long, and definitely meaty enough to break down into more directed discussions. It's easy to go back and relisten without too much of a commitment, either. I'd love it further discussions.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying them! Betsy, I couldn't find a way to link to an overview page of the videos, so sorry for the confusion!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Betsy wrote:
FWI,
For anyone that didn't realize it, like me, there are a whole slew of videos, not just the first 3 on the page linked.

If you look under the main tabs, there are the links to the other chapters.

Yes and they're all listed on their YouTube Channel too which you can subscribe to.

Great find Jenn!!!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Jenn, these are wonderful. I was just considering indulging a mini-retreat before beginning planning on the new school year. These are exactly what I need!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JennGM wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
Jenn,

Let's go for it, Jen! these are great little videos, not too long, and definitely meaty enough to break down into more directed discussions. It's easy to go back and relisten without too much of a commitment, either. I'd love it further discussions.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying them! Betsy, I couldn't find a way to link to an overview page of the videos, so sorry for the confusion!

This is SOOOO what I need! What a wonderful idea!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

One phrase that the speaker repeats through various videos is, "What you draw the child with is what you draw them to." It strikes me every time he says it. I think I need to put it on a sign somewhere.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
   Betsy, I couldn't find a way to link to an overview page of the videos, so sorry for the confusion!

Oh Jen, please don't take it in a negative way. I just totally missed that there were a ton of chapter, I though it was only those three videos!

I was just trying to console my ego with my oversite and try to *help* others and post about it.

I look forward to listening to all of these and reinvigorating myself in my last 12 weeks of school!!!!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I had a few minutes this afternoon and was eager to make some spaces for our conversations and thoughts to land.

***** THESE ARE THE FOLLOW UP THREADS DISCUSSING THE INDIVIDUAL VIDEO SECTIONS *****

Introduction
Chapters 1 - 3
Chapters 4 - 6
Chapters 7 - 9
Chapters 10 - 12
Chapters 13 - 15
Chapters 16 - 18

All of these links can also be found on the first post on page 1 of this thread. This thread can be for general observations from the videos. Happy discussing!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this so we can continue some of the discussions. I find I get distracted over the weekends and forgot my focus during the week.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I have been watching them the last few days and they are so richthat I feel like I need to watch one or one group and digest for awhile. I love the ones on habits. I would love to discuss more ideas for building the habit of focused attention.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

JennGM wrote:
Starting a monologue, but wow! This is like getting a free homeschool conference! What a shot in the arm!

Currently I'm taking formation classes in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS). I'm finishing auditing for the second time Level I, and currently in the middle of Level II. The course is held at a parish that has a full-time Montessori parish school, which means a full-time atrium. It is very unique because it is a parochial school, but yet Montessori.

Because of the atmosphere and the basis of the CGS being in Montessori, I am also immersed in much of Montessori philosophy while taking these formation courses.

While I know there are differences, I am encouraged by the similarities. It speaks of Universal Truths that Charlotte Mason espoused to find such similarities in philosophy in Maria Montessori. I'm listening to these videos (I am not watching but listening, because it's mainly talking) and nodding my head in agreement. It echoes what I've read and do in my home following Charlotte Mason, but it also echoes what I am seeing and learning in the Montessori school and the CGS atrium.

Science of relations, I guess.

Funnily enough, Jenn, one of by best friends/roomie at FUS/bridesmaid in my wedding works at tht school.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I have been trying to implement more of their ideas. I have to say though. It really makes me aware of all the things I do that really aren't helpful to my children.

Jenn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 19 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn

Thank so much for posting these! I've watched a few of them so far. They are good reminders of what I want to be doing. Very encouraging, for the most part!
Jen
Back to Top View Jenn's Profile Search for other posts by Jenn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BUMP! for Bump a Favorite Thread Thursdays

Great summer refreshers for moms!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

YES, and I have to thank you, Jennifer, for posting these originally. It was this post that got me connected with Ambleside International, and I have had such a great year with them. I have learned so much and can't recommend their Institute trainings highly enough. The week long annual training was also fantastic, I wish I could do it every year! But it's expensive! Honestly, I wish I had done it years ago. Thank you again!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Oh, thank you, Jennifer, for bumping this! When this thread originally was posted, we still had caveman dial-up and I couldn't access the videos but we have now arrived in the 21st century and I can now watch these. I am so excited!

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I bumped this a few months ago, but now that the school year is beginning or about to begin for many, I thought I would bump this thread again!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version