Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: creative thinkers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Angie Mc wrote:

Are you a creative thinker? Do you have a child who is a creative thinker? What are your favorite activities, outlets,...anything...that feeds and encourages this gift?

My ds loves legos, keva blocks, drawing, doodling, poetry writing, cooking, etc. He also loves baseball, building stuff, working with his hands.

This post came at a perfect time for me - I had just spent a day being frustrated with my 8 year old son for doing his art work his way, rather than the way I thought was right ... not my finest of moments (can I blame recent sleepless nights and too much on my plate right now?! ).

The next day, the Holy Spirit came to the rescue and to set me straight.   A mother in our little Friday co-op, gushed to me about how impressed with my son she was. How much natural creativity he has and how he is self motivated and doesn't need to have someone hold his hand through a process (they were working on an art project). He fills in the "blanks" and makes the connections himself.   

Ok, so I was totally hit. She was right. I had been seeing his gifts as faults. sigh. I am completely floored at just how different these little people are in my home!! And I thank God for that - how boring would it be if they all did things my way? THIS IS NOT A CLASSROOM!!!   ha ha!

So now I need to remember to pray to see what each of my children needs from me - how I can adapt things to each of them to help them flourish and continue to love learning - oh, and how and when I need to stay out of their way.   

So, now that I have gotten that out of my system....

Some things my creative guy enjoys-
-lapbooking (his valentines ended up looking like lapbooks - little funky folds an flaps all over the place)
-the recycling bin (for building materials)
-hours outside
-cooking: he uses a Star Wars cookbook, Tin Cups and Tinders (from CHC), and Spattulata (great website with video tutorials of children cooking)
-Our local classical station (great background music for on the spot plays, interpretive dancing, and dramatic sword wielding battle scenes)
- an instrument to play
- endless supply of library books on various topics

ok, simple stuff really, but these are the things he gravitates to.   

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version