Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Parental Locks/Controls on E-Readers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

JennGM wrote:
What I want to know, if you have no wireless, will there be screens or something to keep nagging you to turn it on for the ads?

no, I don't think so. I have the connection turned off on my Kindle 99 percent of the time, and it only asks me to turn it back on if I've selected something that requires connection (downloading a book or looking at a book description, for example). in those cases it's still up to me to agree. and even then, it just connects and does the job; it doesn't direct me to the Amazon site (it only does that if you select "shop in Kindle store.")

at the bottom of the screensaver ad (in very tiny print), it says "Hold (icon for the 5-way controller button) for details and legal terms. Turns on wireless." I obviously missed that last line the first time I used it. when you do that, it opens a page with the details. from there, you would have to select the "buy" button to take advantage of it, or it offers to email you more info (in the case of this ATT one I am checking right now so I can file an honest report with you ).

hope this helps!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

ctrivette
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote ctrivette

My big kids (14 and 12) have kindles with ads. Honestly, I think they completely ignore them trying to get to the books or games (jigsaw words, mine sweeper...) that they have. And we have the Internet on most of the time in the house, but I just shut the wifi connection on the kindle and didn't give the kids my wireless password. The kindle asks every time they try to turn it on. If I want them downloading or updating or whatever, I type it in and then shut it down when they are done. So far it has worked well.
On a side note, I like their kindles so much that I have been jumping to take it up whenever they are trying to read before chores and things get done...I think they are planning to get me my own for my birthday since I have tons of books on an itouch kindle app but really like reading on the kindle it's self much better!
Back to Top View ctrivette's Profile Search for other posts by ctrivette

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

ctrivette wrote:
My big kids (14 and 12) have kindles with ads. Honestly, I think they completely ignore them trying to get to the books or games (jigsaw words, mine sweeper...) that they have. And we have the Internet on most of the time in the house, but I just shut the wifi connection on the kindle and didn't give the kids my wireless password. The kindle asks every time they try to turn it on. If I want them downloading or updating or whatever, I type it in and then shut it down when they are done. So far it has worked well.
On a side note, I like their kindles so much that I have been jumping to take it up whenever they are trying to read before chores and things get done...I think they are planning to get me my own for my birthday since I have tons of books on an itouch kindle app but really like reading on the kindle it's self much better!

Ah I totally forgot about that (because it's been so long since I used wireless here)! Without the password (because y'all DO secure your wireless networks right?) they couldn't access it anyway.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

MicheleQ wrote:

Ah I totally forgot about that (because it's been so long since I used wireless here)! Without the password (because y'all DO secure your wireless networks right?) they couldn't access it anyway.

Duh, I forgot about that, too. OF COURSE our wireless network is secure! Thanks for the reminder...

God bless,
Christine

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

So I guess I took too long to decide...Grandma just called and said that she bought Nooks for my oldest 2 since my sister really likes hers...
Looks like we're getting Nooks
(and it looks like I'm not paying for them)

Thanks for all the help and advice!

God bless,
Christine

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version