Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: What book collections do you have? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Maybe that is too much of an open-ended question around here...
I think my house is a living book collection.

I have all my mother's vintage Nancy Drew books. All my sisters read them, and then they went through all my nieces. A couple of years ago a big box arrived at my house, and there they were for my daughter.

While I like to collect books from certain authors, the Nancy Drew books are the probably the only real "collection" I have. My dd likes me to read them out loud to her. After all these years I was startled to realize I remembered
"the man with the crinkled ear"

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I bet you've got more collections than you realize, Melinda! Ok...so these are author collections, right?

Series and Author collections

~ Boxcar Children
~ The Martha Years & The Charlotte Years (I feel so lucky to have collected ALL hardbacks on these!!!)
~ Little House on the Praire
~ The Mary Frances books
~ Anne of Green Gables and almost all LMM books besides Anne (dd loves the Emily series)
~ Swallows and Amazons
~ Nancy Drew (we have Mom's vintage Nancy Drew's, too, Mel! They're treasures!)
~ Emilie Loring (like Nancy Drews....mysteries...pretty clothes...for a bit older girls...these were Mom's, then mine, then my sister, and now my oldest dd loves them!)
~ Almost all the Jim Kjelgaard dog books (Big Red, etc.)
~ Scott O'Dell books
~ Kate Douglas Wiggin books
~ Have almost every (possibly all) Bethlehem book ever reprinted - does that count?
~ The Thornton Burgess collection (Sammy Jay, Reddy Fox, Bobby Raccoon, etc)
~ Hilda van Stockum books
~ Smithsonian's Backyard series
~ Lets Read and Find Out science series (esp older oop jewels)
~ Edwin Way Teale
~ Edith Holden
~ Beatrix Potter (picture books and books on natural history)
~ Discover Nature...(...close to home, in the rocks, in the winter, etc.) series
~ Carol Lerner picture books on natural history topics
~ John McPhee
~ Jean Henri Fabre

ACTUAL COLLECTIONS:

~ Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great (1928) compiled by Elbert Hubbard
~ Famous Paintings Selected from the World's Great Galleries (circa 1900) with descriptive notes on each painting by GK Chesteron
~ Helen Kauffman books on music and music appreciation (gems!!)
~ Gateway to the Great Books (Mortimer Adler)
~ 54 Great Books of the Western World (Mortimer Adler)

I'm pretty sure I have more, but this is getting embarrassing! And...I'm not quite sure I'm listing what you had in mind ????

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just interested in what books people love enough to collect and what collections might be passed down in families.

My BIL recently passed on a small collection of vintage Boys Life magazines to my ds. Those have been fun- especially the ads. Not really books, though.

I think I have a Helen Kauffman music book- off to check!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Good question, Melinda. I haven't physically gone through my shelves in a while. It's easier to categorize my chapter books than my picture books.

Without looking

Really older series
::Pollyanna series
::Beverly Gray
::Frank Baum Oz books

Then there's the series, none of them complete, but working on:
::Hardy Boy (we've started our collection, making sure that all are not revised after 1970s)
::Hank the Cow Dog
::Vision
::Encounter series by DSP
::Landmark
::World Landmark
::Signature
::Patron Saint books
::Holy Cross Press
and more than I want to think about.

Picture Books, we choose by author and illustrator:
::Little Golden Books, only special ones with favorite illustrators, like Eloise Wilkin
::Tomie DePaola, not all
::Tasha Tudor
::Pauline Baynes
::Elizabeth Orton Jones
::Jim Arnosky
::Brian Wildsmith (some)
::Genady Spirin
::Rumer Godden
::Leo Politi
::Robert McCloskey
::Clement Hurd

That's all that immediately comes to mind. I'm drawing a blank.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, just remembered a few

::Beginner Books
::I Can Read Books. We have a whole shelf of those only pick the ones I think are less twaddly. There are some really good old ones, like Johnny Lion.

::Step-Up by Random House, older series. I collected almost of all of them, and my son has read them cover to cover over and over again.

::Stories from series by Edward Dolch. These were absolute favorites when I was growing up. Checked them out over and over again, and one of my first purchases when I moved out, even before kids.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I have some books in several collections, but nothing that would actually classify as a collection, I fear...I'm off to the confessions thread again...

Do the collections have to match and look pretty....?

We do have collections that are shorter - the obvious ones: Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Redwall, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and I do have lots of Nancy Drew.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

We have these series, which haven't been mentioned yet......

RedWall
Rangers Apprentice
Mary Fabyan Windeatt's Books

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ah, and

TinTin
Asterix and Obelix
And I *confess* to having a Peanuts collection.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

If this discussion is broad, as in, those we really love and when we do find would collect, then I can add.

I do collect old Vision books (and have quite a few new ones) whenever I find them without having to order - which is rare. Can I say I am green with envy at the fact that Jen has almost all of them (and don't you, too, Jenn?). There is a woman in our local group who has a MASSIVE home library - she has almost all the Vision books as well - if is hard to set foot in her house without covetous thoughts entering my mind (ooops, confession time) .

So I think I'll go with teh books I "wish" I were collecting. Books that to me a collection worthy and that I do have a bit of a start to (I think I could take Jenn's author lists...)
Leo Politi
Virginia Lee Burton
Robert McCloskey
Clement Hurd
Rumer Godden
Eloise Wilkin
Mary Azarian

First Book for Little Catholics series
Landmark books
Weekly Reader Book Club (from the 60s and early 70s) - we have several from my childhood and I pick them up when I find them.

Okay and here is a probably weird to most of you collection - though very understandable on other support group/forums I've been a member of:
~breastfeeding depicted in picture books - particularly ones where it is not the focus, but rather just something casually happening in the context of the story. (oh, and for the record I collect Maria lactans art )

And of course another thematic one would be owl books - does that count as a collection type?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, confession time again. I'm not really into collections. I tend to buy one book from this series, another from that series, in a scatterbrained sort of way. We do have a few Little House books, and several Bill Bryson books, but certainly not enough of either to call them a collection.
The only *true* collection we own is...
every single Calvin and Hobbes book ever published.
I guess that says a lot right there.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Wait! I figured one out! Jan Brett! I definitely have enough of those to call it a collection!
Yay me!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
Do the collections have to match and look pretty....?

No!!! No way! (Of course, it IS Melinda's thread -- Melinda, wasn't it nice of me to declare non-matching collections ok?? ) I was just thinking we were talking about an author that we enjoyed so we collected several of their books.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I do collect old Vision books (and have quite a few new ones) whenever I find them without having to order - which is rare. Can I say I am green with envy at the fact that Jen has almost all of them (and don't you, too, Jenn?).

Yes. I do collect these and have several. I'm pretty sure Jenn would have me beat though!

And Jenn reminded me that there are a few oop series I'm collecting - Landmark is a biggie and I'm very pleased with that growing collection!!! I just love those books!

And I like Signature books too and have several, just not as many as the Landmarks. Another oop series I'm collecting are the Credo books which also go by the name Catholic Digest Jr. Bookshelf - another fantastic series!

I didn't even go to my picture book shelf when I listed earlier - so favorite picture book authors I collect:

Alois Carigiet
Robert McCloskey
Virginia Lee Burton (think I have all of hers!!)
Eloise Wilkin
Lois Lenski
Tasha Tudor
Lynd Ward (this author has my when it comes to writing for boys!)
Munro Leaf
Margaret Wise Brown
Maj Lindman
Holling C. Holling
D'Aulaire
Marguerite de'Angeli

Religion/Catholic:

Along the Paths of the Gospel series (Pauline)
Vision books, esp the older oop
Dujarie Press books (I've got a really nice little collection of these growing)
Father Gerald Brennan/Angel Food books (only one oop book left to finish our collection)

Now - for context. I don't go to the library. Ever anymore. I'm going to give Mary a minute to recover.....smelling salts, Mary?? >>FANNING<< >>FANNING<<    Mary....you with me again?    I know - CONFESSION TIME for me!!!! That's a good one too!

Our library system is not nearly as nice as some of yours! First, the selection is pitiful. There are a few good picture books, but most of them are just awful. Jr fiction was terrible and there would only ever be one copy of the book we needed and it was always gone. I could NEVER, EVER hope to build even a basic booklist using books from our library system, and I've tried. ILL cost $$ here. AND....to top it all off....we live in an area that's pretty heavily Protestant (it's like that here in the south), which isn't meant to be derogatory AT ALL! We have wonderful neighbors, and actually a really wonderful Catholic homeschooling group, but it does mean there is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOTHING Catholic in our library. Nothing.

I spent a year really trying to make it work. Our juvenile non-fiction is pretty nice and quite large, but that's the only section I could make work, and it just wasn't worth my time and gas (we do live pretty rurally, so a trip into town to the library has to be intentional...it's not just down the road and around the corner). So....packing up everyone, shlepping all into the library, for 5 Arnosky books just doesn't work well for the exchange of my time.

SO.....I collect and we have built our own nice little home library! I've learned to be extremely frugal and find really good deals on used books. I learn sources and prices and I'm picky. If the Picture Book Apocalypse ever takes place ( ), you can all just come hang out on our land and use our books cuz we'll be doin' fine!    I've become friends with authors that write exceptionally well and series that I trust. I'm picky about authors and books to a ridiculous degree because if it comes in this house it's got to take up valuable real estate - so it better be REALLY GOOD!

Another confession - I didn't buy but half of my collection, I inherited the other half from my mom when she finished homeschooling! What a treasure! I'll pass the "family collection" on to my sister if there is ever a need one day, or to my kids. So, I won't always be storing these books. The home ed books will move along to be used by someone else in our family. The picture books will stay though!

So, I suppose I totally skew the responses to this question way out of the park?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

....thought of another one I just finished collecting for my newest reader....

The Cowboy Sam readers by Edna Walker Chandler, pictures by Jack Merryweather. My little cowboy loves them!!!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Mackfam wrote:
....thought of another one I just finished collecting for my newest reader....

The Cowboy Sam readers by Edna Walker Chandler, pictures by Jack Merryweather. My little cowboy loves them!!!

::Threadjack::

Jen, are these all OOP? I have a young reader that IS a cowboy (as opposed to pretending to be a cowboy!).   I am sure he would love these.

::end Threadjack::

I also have the Billy and Blaze series. My new readers have really like these books.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

More collections:
Magic Tree House (way too many-found at a yard sale for 25 cents apiece!)
"Ology" books (Egyptology, Piratology,Dragonology, etc etc)
David Macauley book (Pyramid, Mosque, Castle, Ship, City, Mill...I know there's more...)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Betsy wrote:
::Threadjack::

Jen, are these all OOP? I have a young reader that IS a cowboy (as opposed to pretending to be a cowboy!).   I am sure he would love these.

::end Threadjack::

Yes, they are, Betsy, but they aren't too difficult to find affordably. They were originally done in 1951, and they each build on the other, so if you're using them just as early readers with a pretty good reader it's no big deal, but if you're using them with an emerging reader you might want to know the order. I'll share a list of the series, and if I have the book, I'll list the grade level that the back of the book lists it as appropriate for.

1) Cowboy Sam and Big Bill
2) Cowboy Sam ~ 1st/2nd grade (this book does include a few of what it calls pre-primer words)
3) Cowboy Sam and Freddy - 1st/2nd grade
4) Cowboy Sam and the Rodeo - 2nd grade
4) Cowboy Sam and the Rustlers
5) Cowboy Sam and Porky
6) Cowboy Sam and Shorty
7) Cowboy Sam and the Fair
8) Cowboy Sam and the Indians
9) Cowboy Sam and Dandy
10) Cowboy Sam and Miss Lily
11) Cowboy Sam and Flop
12) Cowboy Sam and Sally
13) Cowboy Sam and the Airplane - 3rd grade+

Each book gives a list of new vocabulary in the back of the book with a little index as to the grade level of that word. Listed next to each word is the page number the word is first introduced in the story. Words come from Gates' Word List for Primary Grades (this word list is referred to here in Dolch's word list.)

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Beatrix Potter
Asterix
Redwall
Narnia
Tolkien (have almost all of em!)
And some random series books (like The Dark is Rising, A Wrinkle in Time etc.)- those books where you need the next one on hand in a hurry!!

Most of these are because my kids love them and we have gathered them as we wanted them!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I have been very blessed to inherit my family library, so many of the following are from my childhood, or begun then and added to since, plus my own children have started collections. We're very BIG on collections and authors here.
I know we have other collections particularly in the history/faith/family series and I haven't even begun with Aust. series/authors or picture books but I'm sure you'll be glazing before the end.

Girl Series

- The Martha Years, Charlotte and Caroline Years (Missing a couple)
- Little House on the Praire
- Anne of Green Gables and lots of other LMM
- Nancy Drew
- Dana girls
- Trixie Belden
- Pollyanna series
- Abbey Girls, Elsie J Oxenham
- Louisa May Alcott
- heidi series
- Chalet School

Boy Series
Girls do read the following too.

- Swallows and Amazons
- Hardy Boy
- RedWall
- Rangers Apprentice
- Cowboy Sam
- Ken Holt
- Biggles
- Father Finn
- Encyclopaedia Brown
- Christopher Paolini
- Dragons in Our Midst, Bryan Davis
- Percy Jackson
- Battle Boy
- Three Investigators
- Alex Rider

Mixed
- Edith Nesbitt
- Hugh Lofting (Dr Dolittle series)
- Many of the Bethlehem books
- Mary Poppins
- Royal Diaries
- Beatrix Potter
- Indian in the cupboard etc
- Rats if Nihm etc
- astrid Lindgren
- Meindert deJong
- DK REaders
- lassie
- Noel Stretfeild
- Ramona
- Narnia
- Books of Ember
- Dr Suess

Family Series
We are really big on family series and lots of our read alouds tend to be these books.

- Moffats
- Melondy's (Elizabeth Enright)
- Bantry Bay
- Mitchells
- Penderwicks, Jeanne Birdsall

History
Rosemary Sutcliff
Henry Treece
Geofrrey trease

Faith
- Vision
- Encounter series by DSP
- Mary Fabyan Windeatt

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Enjoying this list, adding from our collection:

- Laurence Anholt
- Poetry for Young People
- Discover America State by State Alphabet books
- Opal Wheeler (composers)
- Anna H. Celenza
- Inos Biffi
- Geneive Foster
- Kate DiCamillo
- A.A. Milne
- Arnold Lobel
- Esther Averill
- Cynthia Rylant
- Howard Pyle (King Arthur series)
- Margaret Waring Buck
- Tillie S. Pine & Joseph Levine
- William J. Long
- Edith M. Patch
- Clara D. Pierson

and many others already mentioned or on shelves I didn't look

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version