Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: You've given me the confidence..... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Mackfam wrote:

We begin lessons spending about 5-10 minutes working from a catechism.

K - 1 - Illustrated Catechism for Children (Neumann Press)

From there....we delight in reading. These are all books we enjoy using at the 1st/3rd grade age:

For the Preschool to First Communion crowd:
** Illustrated Catechism for Little Children (Neumann Press)

Are there actually two books? One titled Illlustrated Catechism for Children and the other Illustrated Catechism for Little Children ?

I've only been able to find the Illustrated Catechism for Little Children .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Sorry Chris! That's a type-o on my part! It's one and the same book - Illustrated Catechism for Little Children.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

BlessedWith3SNP
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote BlessedWith3SNP

Mackfam, thank you so much for the invaluable book list!

Wow! There are many books that I haven't even heard about.       

I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas for myself.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Mackfam wrote:
Sorry Chris! That's a type-o on my part! It's one and the same book - Illustrated Catechism for Little Children.

Thanks for the clarification! I was endlessly searching for two books to buy .

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

BlessedWith3SNP wrote:

Yes, thank you!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Chris V wrote:
BlessedWith3SNP wrote:

Yes, thank you!

You are so welcome! I delight in all the wonderful books about our faith to read for this age group - I didn't even post all the picture books and saint books!!!

And, I should have added more about Bible reading, which we do every year in addition to our Catechism studies. In the early years, we make use of good children's Bibles, but I am particular (to a ridiculous extent) about which children's Bible we use. I'm pretty sure I listed one that I really like in my list above - Msgr. Del Fiorntino's The Catholic Bible in Pictures. I also like:

** Bible For Young Catholics (Pauline Books, I think this may be oop) - great for 3rd/4th grade readers.

** The Children's Illustrated Bible (Selina Hastings - Dorling Kindersley Publishing) **IMPORTANT NOTE ** This is NOT a Catholic Bible, but I prefer it for the writing style, illustrations (which I prefer so much because they are not cartoony), length of story (one 2 page spread per story), and historical notes and photographs. This is the Children's Bible I prefer, after exhaustive searching, for reading aloud to my young children from 1st - 2nd grade. I can't list it here in good conscience WITHOUT explaining very clearly that are at least 4 areas that need to be corrected to be in line with Catholic teaching. (There may be more, these are just the ones I've found in reading to my kids over the years...please be responsible for finding others corrections if you choose to use this Bible.) The following corrections would have to be made, and these are my notes, not necessarily what I would read word-for-word to my little people.
    1) Page 8, Column 1 - There are 73 books in the Catholic Bible.

2) Page 11 - The sentence that reads, "As the Christian church spread..." could also read, "As the Catholic Church spread..."

3) Page 11 - The New Testament was translated into Latin by St. Jerome. It was called the Vulgate. This translation was commissioned by Pope Damasus I in 382. This was the same translation printed by Gutenberg in 1456. The first Catholic English translation was the Douay Bible. The English translation of the New Testament was finished in 1582, and the Old Testament was finished in 1609.

4) Page 264 - Margin note on "Bread and Wine". Christ's words (John 6:47-59) to his disciples are that we must eat His flesh and drink His blood - this was well before the Last Supper. While the apostles probably did not understand how Jesus would make this possible, I doubt they were "surprised" at the blessing of the bread and wine at the Last Supper. Also, Catholics don't just "picture" Jesus' body and blood; after the Consecration the bread and wine undergo a complete change of substance (Transubstantiation) into the substance of Christ's body and blood.
Our early years Faith and Religion -- every year -- every term -- consists of:
Bible reading
Catechism studies
Living books (Ours are usually chosen based on the Liturgical year or a Sacrament a child may be preparing for.)

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Jen, thank you so much for your lists, and the clarity in this last post! I have been wanting to develop exactly what you have given us here as an outline for what you do (catechism, Bible, and living books), this is just what I've been trying to put together, and now here you've given me/us a perfect list to draw from with just what I've been looking for! Thank you!!!!!

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

BlessedWith3SNP
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 15 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote BlessedWith3SNP

Thank you for the clarification. Also, all the ideas!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version