Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: School Book Storage? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

We use something similar to these tote bins which is sort of like the milk crate. I like that they can be lugged to different areas of the home.

Caddy totes

You'd really be surprised at the amount of books they hold. I think I bought mine at Walmart or Target even. I think a local teacher store had them in different colors which would have been nice but I had already purchased these.

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

jawgee wrote:
containerstore.com is a dangerous, dangerous place for me to browse.

I agree!!!

Thanks again for all the ideas!
God bless.
~Jennifer

all=
Catholic Inspired ~Arts, crafts & more
Back to Top View all for God's Profile Search for other posts by all for God Visit all for God's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

We use a drawer system.

This is dd7's drawers. they are 2 of the 15x15 3 drawer cubes. It sits on the shelf perfectly. A binder fits along with any texts. It's always sorted. Shared books do sit on a high shelf.

DD12 has a drawer cart similar to this:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid= 772648&affixedcode=WW

Again, it holds many things, manipulatives, books, binders and always grouped as needed.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Mimip wrote:
Jennifer,

These are the ones we use. Multi purpose binsThey don't have lids but for us that is perfect. Highly recommended and they have lasted forever.

WE use the smaller ones for sorting paperback children's books that get used a lot more than a simple magazine holder. The bigger ones are used to store the kids books and my curriculum.

I believe they go on sale often so just keep checking back but the $6.99 x-large one is a great value for your buck!

OH my, I didnt' see those... those are fabulous....
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I just have to share! Taking a tip from Jen Mack's idea of magazine holders, I ordered six of them while purchasing part of this year's materials. I'm so very thankful for amazon's free shipping ~ it sure saves on gas or trips to town for various incidentals. The ones I ordered are not the super-dooper wide ones Jen linked to, but they're definitely adequate. The greatest part of all is that they fit perfectly, with room to spare, in the bottom open cubby of an old china cabinet, right next to the antique school desks dc still love to use! All our books for this year's studies fit inside the 36 in. wide space, with extra space in between for binders. We already had a curtain in front of the cubby (from days gone by, when we kept an extra computer there) ~ all we have to do is close the curtain ~ Voila! ~ everything is "out of sight, out of mind" when studies are done!

In the past we've always used baskets or totes underneath the desks, but they were usually all a-jumble and tended to look messy, with papers and books put in all this way and that. I'm still anticipating our usual state of mild disarray inside the magazine holders, but at least I can close the curtain if there's no time to do a "quick tidy"!

Thanks to all you brilliant ladies and your wonderful discussions things feel more organized this year than ever before, with hardly any effort on my part at all! I never would have imagined that magazine holders would be such a perfect fit for our household, but even dc are excited over this new option!

I also happened to order multi-colored poly folders and pocket dividers for binders. They coordinate quite well with the various materials we're using this year. With the addition of inexpensive label tape (for the poor label maker which has sat forlorn and empty for several years) we now have neat, orderly, well-labeled, color-coordinated study storage in the space of one yard. Of course, we still have shelves and shelves and shelves of supplemental books in an entirely different area of the house, which I am conveniently ignoring for now, except to pull this and that book to enhance the main resources for our upcoming 22nd year of homeschooling!

It feels so nice to have the main materials all contained in one organized little spot! The greatest part of all is that I was able to sort, organize, label and store all in one day! Whew!!!! In the past, I   often spent days on end re-organzing ALL our books in order to add new materials each year. Lacking both time OR energy this year, I am infinitely grateful for a much quicker, even better, solution. I'm just going to pretend I'm Scarlett O'Hara with the REST of our books and "think about that tomorrow"!!! (Although at the rate things are going, tomorrow may never come ~ oh well!!!) I'm overjoyed with the way things are here and now!

You ladies are such a wonderful source of inspiration and encouragement for this Menopausal Mama with very Minimal Memory, Muster or Motivation!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, it does sound lovely, Servant! I'm so glad that the idea of a magazine holder inspired you to consider its possibilities! It IS a delight when it all comes together, and goodness there is such joyful potential in a new school year.      

You know, this year I wasn't able to give the time or energy to a real *guts and glory* overhaul of our learning spaces; some years are just like that! I did find it quite spirit-lifting to do just a few simple things to freshen spaces though, and like you, I found refreshment in the simplest additions - a few new, pretty folders for my desk basket, a new home education notebook (which deliciously matches the folders!! ), a couple of new notebook journals, pretty new pens, and a face-lift for my storage cabinet which involved contact paper chalkboard paper which I LOVE!!!!

Happy book-storing to you all as you consider your spaces and seek creative ways to order within them!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Jen, your "freshening" sounds so lovely, as always! Pretty touches like that can be truly uplifting to a mother's heart and soul! Your folders, notebook, journals and pens all sound so wonderful! The chalkboard paper looks intriguing! Have loads of fun with that!

I just finished laying out new gold and silver pens, which we're going to use on black pages of a Church History timeline presentation book ~ they're resting on a quaint handmade pottery spoonrest ~ brown, painted with rosy terra cotta hearts & golden flowers ~ 59 cents at the thrift store!

It's the little things that can make our hearts sing!

I'm off to type up the last new subject for lesson plans (Yeah!) ~ God has been SO good to us this year, making things that normally feel SO overwhelming seem almost effortless! Perhaps it's because the older and frailer I get, the less I can afford to stress over such things ~ perhaps, in His mercy, God has truly extended extra help, because He knows how MUCH I need it!

Nevertheless, I am profoundly grateful that God has overseen so many details of our lives lately and pray He does the same for each and every one of you!!!! Those of you with little ones may not be at the stage of life where storing books is possible or manageable ~ you may just be thinking "How will we all survive from day to day?" Take it from one who has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, God truly cares about every little detail of your life and by His Grace, you can, and will, make it!!!!

all for God
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote all for God

Servant2theKing wrote:
Nevertheless, I am profoundly grateful that God has overseen so many details of our lives lately and pray He does the same for each and every one of you!!!! Those of you with little ones may not be at the stage of life where storing books is possible or manageable ~ you may just be thinking "How will we all survive from day to day?" Take it from one who has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other, God truly cares about every little detail of your life and by His Grace, you can, and will, make it!!!!

AMEN!!!!! I've seen this myself. God's ways and timing are always perfict, even in the little things. It's just hard to see that when things are not going the way you want. But I often see it afterwards.
Our God is a wonderous God!!

all=
Catholic Inspired ~Arts, crafts & more
Back to Top View all for God's Profile Search for other posts by all for God Visit all for God's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version