Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Kindle Nook Kobo Sony Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 17 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

sunny wrote:
Well here it is almost the eleventh hour for ordering things online and i still havent placed my order. I have decided on the kindle over the nook or any other. I am convinced not only from reading reviews but also because of the parental controls and settings for time limitations. My problem now is the option of purchasing 2 lesser models so that each child can have their own or buying one HD model that must be shared. hmmmm.... Any thoughts?

Sunny,
I could have written this post!
I waffled over this decision for.ev.er.

Finally, this weekend, I sat down with dh and made the decision. I wound up going with the Kindle for my dc. I chose the more basic e-reader (not the Fire) but went with the touch screen and light, which was a step above the basic model.

My reasons:
I like the touchscreen and the light for reading in bed... my ds can take his camping if he wants, plus it is just a cool feature that I know my kids will like

My dc are 8 and 10. They don't need internet capability on their own e-readers at this point... at least that is how I feel. Even with parental controls, I know that if they have something that can play games and do different things like that, then they are going to want to use those features all the time.

My dh thought the parental control ability on the Fire would solve that problem, but I could just hear my ds saying," But I could play XYZ on it if you'd let me!".   I felt it would add one more battle to our days and a bit more peace would fly out the window at my house. The main purpose of our e-readers is, well, reading!

Having said that, these e-readers are a gift from my parents. I am not ruling out the possibility of getting a Kindle Fire in the near future for general family use. That way we could still take advantage of the some of the neat educational apps out there, but there would not be the issue of "this is my own device, and since it can play games you should let me!"

Can you tell I am not a fan at all of video games?

Anyway, that is how it went down here....

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Coming back to add that we went with the Kindle because we have an Amazon Prime account, and there are a lot of ebooks to download for free with Prime.

Also, dh researched the Nook and found that many people were having some screen issues with the newer ones. We didn't want to have to deal with returns for a faulty screen.

Also, the Kindle is easy to use with our library system. The library here really is pushing ebooks, and so I felt like we had to step up to ereading.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We just allowed our 14 yr old son to get a kindle fire (with his own money). Lots of talking beforehand. Basically, he knows that I can (and will) confiscate it. That he does need to share (a reasonable amount with the older kids, it is his but..) and that when electronics are off, it is as well (or see confiscation above). So far he's been real good with it. He even let me play with it some and last night I used it to finish my book in bed. Nice not to need a light And really he's been quite generous with it. He even had me check out the amazon little kids program (name is escaping me) on it.. but it's a free month and then you have to pay every month.. we thought it sounded like a lower level of use without paying and you pay to upgrade. Oh well. But he was asking so that the little kids could "get a turn" so I thought that was real nice of him.

It is heavier than my kindle touch though (no light). And I really noticed that when reading in bed.. oh yea.. it's also a pain that the screen realines itself with the horizon.. when I'm laying down I don't want that But it was also kinda cool to lay in bed this morning and check the weather to see what it's been doing overnight.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Jodie-

I can totally see that approach working for a 14 yo- and we may get to that some day. By then, though, there will probably be some new gee whiz version

Or should I say- I have earnest hopes that when my ds is 14 he will be as thoughtful and giving as yours!

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

Ok shopping is complete. Hope I don't regret this! But i got them each there own! My dh and I really don't like video games either!! However dh and I have been very preoccupied lately with our business so dc have been allowed a lot more games on my iPhone than I think ideal. Hoping this purchase will provide more options not more battles!
I really enjoyed this thread!
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version