Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Kindle Nook Kobo Sony Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

So whats the Kobo touch like Erin???/
I can see us needing another sooner than later.

Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I have a Kobo touch and I am VERY happy with it. I love that it easily loads epubs and I love reading on it. I basically commandeered it to read my Overdrive books.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I don't why I'm dragging my feet on this decision . (I think I'm just tired of making decisions in general, especially when a decent cost is involved .)

It looks like I'm going with the Kindle Touch. I want the audio, don't need 3G, and don't mind the advertisements. Any other considerations?

I love my iphone and would love an ipad but don't see it worth saving/waiting for...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

we're enjoying the kindle touch.. the ads are very unobtrusive.. and the only problem we've had with the sound not working was fixed by doing the restart from the menu (not just using the power button).

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are really happy with the Kindle Touch (no ads) for the family - well I have no idea, really, as I don't use it personally. But everyone else is happy. My college son got the Touch with ads - and they don't bother him at all.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well, yeah me too Mary, but kids are reading books, good books, and that makes me happy to see them in so much use.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Kindle Fire on sale today only.

I'm SO ready to have a Kindle! Thanks for all your help.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angie Mc wrote:
Kindle Fire on sale today only.

I'm SO ready to have a Kindle! Thanks for all your help.

Love,

Oh, that's so great, Angie! I still don't have mine...one of these days.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up...

Barnes and Noble came out with the Nook HD 7" media tablet last month
that is in color and does have parental screening available.

It runs from $199-224 and does not have the the e-ink.

The Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light has e-ink but no parental control and not in color . It runs around $119

Several family members have Nooks now and swear by them.

I want that parental control and the color but can't think of spending upwards of $400 to buy one for each kid. Argh

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Melinda, I STILL don't have an e-reader, so I appreciate you bumping.

Which ones DO have parental controls? Ipad?

I'll have share this, when I was thinking about purchasing or requesting one, I read this on how we don't even own the files?

How can that be? Especially when some e-books cost the same as a print book?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Is the Nook compatible with the books you buy on Amazon? How does that work?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

No, not out of the box anyway. Nook is a different format than Kindle although apparently there's a hack to make it work. Personally I would go with the Kindle Fire HD it has color and parental controls.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I thought there was a Kindle app for the Nook. I know that I would be able to use a Nook with my library system.

The price tag of $200 is what's holding me back from something like the Kindle Fire or the new Nook. My kids could share- we could all share one- but it's hard to share a book you are reading with someone else while you are still reading, YK?   Every time you feel like reading someone else has the book. Would be a good thing to offer up, though...

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

If you are mainly wanting it for e-reading but a few other things as well, and you don't mind not having e-ink, I would recommend getting last year's Nook tablets. They are much reduced now b/c of the new ones coming out, and the only real difference AFAIK is the "HD". Mark had a Nook 16 gb tablet for awhile and liked it. However, with Nook, just like Kindles, you are somewhat limited to their site - it will read epub books you buy from other places like Kobo, but if you buy a B&N book or app, it's only for the Nooks - can't be read on another epub reader like Sony or Kobo. However, what we did with Mark's was root it to run Android OS - you can download the stuff free and easy or buy an SD card which is already formatted with it (called N2A). The nice thing is with this, you put the card in while the Nook is turned off, turn it on and it boots into Android, where you can download all the thousands of free or cheap apps that work on Android, including a Kindle app, a Nook app, etc. But it's not permanently rooted and all you have to do to switch back the Nook interface is turn it off, remove the card and reboot - poof, goes right back to Nook.

Now, the Nook itself has some parental controls, whereas the Android doesn't on its own. But there are several Android apps (search parental controls) which you can download to function that way.

The main drawback of these color tablets as e-readers is the screen is harder on your eyes if you read a lot (doesn't bother some people but it does me after awhile). Also e-ink is visible outdoors easily. I love my Sony PRS 650 for reading, but would still love a tablet for things like color magazines and knitting patterns. Ds recently sold his on ebay b/c he wanted an expensive metal detector. I came very close to just buying it from him but I didn't want to pay as much as he was hoping to get for it (and did - I think it sold for $115)
But anyway, B&N still has the older tablets and are selling them much cheaper. Also check out refurbs.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

One thing I like about the Kindle is that it syncs with all my devices. I can read on my Kindle, switch to my iphone or computer and it remembers where I left off on the other device. Very handy.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

JennGM wrote:
Melinda, I STILL don't have an e-reader, so I appreciate you bumping.

Right there with ya... too many choices, too confusing and too much $$

ETA: Although I know DD 13 would love to have one.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am getting the feeling that I am just going to have to get one- any one- and see how I like it. My library is moving towards ebooks, and sometimes I can't get the books I want without an eReader, so I guess I am being forced to move with the times.

I wonder f I would have resisted the telephone or horseless carriage, too?
Ah, but back then there was only one model to choose from (for the most part) and so there was no Choice Paralysis. i suffer heavily from that.

Anyway, talking to dh... he recommended the Kindle Fire for me. It works well with our library system, and we have Amazon Prime and so could stream right to the KF from their growing free books and movies selection.

My parents are itching to buy nooks for the kids for Christmas. My dc are all for this, thinking they will be getting tablet nooks with all kinds of games like they play with in Barnes and Noble whenever we go in.
NOT!! For them dh recommended the basic kindle e-ink reader (I think around $50-70? It pretty much only does books- no motion. So they could not download games to it, etc.

The Fire would have parental control, and we could use that for a book with color pictures, etc. If the kids just wanted to read another Box Car Children book, the basic e-reader would work, and they could each have their own.

So, mulling this all over. Kids have been warned that e-readers would be readers only, not full color with games. We'll see if their enthusiasm stays high.

One mom I know said that getting a e-reader really helped her son grow to love reading books. Turns out thick or long looking books intimidated him. With the e-reader, he can't see if it's a long or short book and is much more willing to read. Plus some kids just like to read on a Nook or Kindle because it just is cool to them. So those are some big pluses.

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

SeaStar wrote:

I wonder if I would have resisted the telephone or horseless carriage, too?
Ah, but back then there was only one model to choose from (for the most part) and so there was no Choice Paralysis. i suffer heavily from that.

I am **SOOO*** this way too!! My grandmother used to say (in the 80s) that she wouldn't leave a message on one of those "new-fangled answering machine thingies".    I kind of think I would be/am the same way.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Melinda,
I was also going to suggest going with the low end e-ink readers for the kids. Even though I have and love my Sony, last year Kobo was having a deal on refurbished basic models for $39 so I picked one up as a backup for me if mine broke. I ended up letting the kids use it quite a bit for reading.

In addition to the idea of not seeing "long" books, they can adjust the font size, shading, etc. For kids with any kind of reading disability like my ds's dyslexia, it's wonderful.

The Kindle Fire or other similar color tablet would be great in the car for trips, etc. One thing that irritates me, though, is that to get movies on a tablet (or laptop) you have to purchase a digital copy (or use Amazon prime or Netflix). We have so many DVDs and blu-rays, it seems unfair that we'd have to repurchase just to have the digital copies. I'd love to load up a tablet with 10 movies we own, for a trip or something.
Even when you specifically buy one of those movies with blu-ray, dvd AND digital included, the link is only good for a short time, so download it right away before it expires. And most of our collection predates this option, not to mention the expense of those triple sets.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

Well here it is almost the eleventh hour for ordering things online and i still havent placed my order. I have decided on the kindle over the nook or any other. I am convinced not only from reading reviews but also because of the parental controls and settings for time limitations. My problem now is the option of purchasing 2 lesser models so that each child can have their own or buying one HD model that must be shared. hmmmm.... Any thoughts?
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version