Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Kindle Nook Kobo Sony Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mwittlans
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote mwittlans

How will the Kobo be affected by Border's bankruptcy?

On another note, our library announced this week that book lending for Kindle is around the corner.

Blessings,
Maureen :)
Back to Top View mwittlans's Profile Search for other posts by mwittlans

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We have Kindle book lending at our tiny little library now. I'm pretty excited about that.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Although Kobo was associated with Borders, it is a separate company, still alive and well in Canada. I order most of the books I purchase from them; even with the dollar exchange it's usually cheaper than other online e-book sources for me (I have a Sony). They also send me email coupons for 20% off frequently.

www.kobobooks.com I think.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ShannonJ wrote:
Well, looks like the new Kindle Fire and a smaller cheaper version of the Kindle is also now available. Just to add some more indecision!

This is what we had been waiting for! Thanks for the heads up the latest editions are available for pre-order. My daughter has been on the alert list, but hadn't yet gotten an email. I want to know it is all you ladies' fault - the recent threads on all the wonders of e-readers finally convinced me. My children are very grateful to you...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this up because dh is asking which one I want!

This parental control thread has been helpful, and I wanted to link to the discussion.

I just watched the Simply Charlotte Mason comparison on e-readers and it's quite excellent for a newbie who is CLUELESS!!!! But it doesn't cover Kindle's Touch, so I am wondering how that compares without the keyboard.

Looking over all the Kindles, it seems like I'd have to pay close to $200 if I wanted one without ads, either Touch or Keyboard.

Questions: If any of you travel, do you find it hard to use Wifi and not the 3G?

I keep saying, just go to an iPad if I'm spending that much! Which brings me to another question:

Question: I have heard there is a Kindle app for the iPad. Does that turn off the backlight and run e-Ink for the iPad? That's my key area I'm concerned...I get serious eyestrain reading on computer screens, and I don't want to duplicate that on an e-reader.

Any help there will really hone my decision process!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

No, Jenn, the Kindle app for iPad is just like the Kindle app for PC AFAIK. I don't think there are any current product on the market which have both backlit color screens, and e-ink for reading. If you get eyestrain reading on a computer, you'll be better off getting true e-ink.

I'll have to let someone else answer about the wifi vs 3G b/c I don't have a Kindle. I have a Sony 650 touch, from last year, and it has no wifi at all. I have never once missed it. I get a lot of my books from the library, or free ones from various places online, and buy some from either Sony or Kobo, and then transfer to my reader by computer. It only takes a few minutes. When I went on vacation this summer, a week-long trip with no chance of getting online, I still had plenty of books to read and never felt the need to connect.

I love the touch screen on my Sony so my opinion is definitely go for the touch. Sony's newest product does have wifi but I don't have any need to upgrade so I haven't seen it. At the time I got mine, Kindle didn't do library books, which was a big factor for me, along with the touch, which came out after on the Kindle.

Karen

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Looking over all the Kindles, it seems like I'd have to pay close to $200 if I wanted one without ads, either Touch or Keyboard.

We ordered the Touch. It will be waiting for us when we get home, so we haven't used it yet to say how we like it. The price without ads was $139 which doesn't seem bad. We didn't get the Fire (touch with color - that is where is gets to be around $200).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Does the Touch have ways to sync with your computer? Plug ins? Or does it operate only wireless.

That option seems about what I was picking, Mary. Without 3G it is the price you mentioned. Guess it costs $40 more for 3G.

Thanks, Karen. I think e-ink is probably the way I need to go.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

Hi
I just purchased the new sony 650 touch with e ink. We got it pre purchase.
we use it in our school day often.
It has wifi, but it needs to be configured in a format that we don't want to use- we have all our computers configured and it would be a nightmare to change it for dh so I have opted not to use the wifi feature.
I just load everything to my computer and load as I need to. We haven't got many books on it as yet, but that will change.
I don't find that a real problem, but I can see in the furture we may need another ereader, but I mght choose another brand.

I like all sonys other features, it quick and easy to change pages
my dd scrolls on the screen.
my only hestitation is that there are various books I don't think can be read by it, because kindle seems to have the monopoly on this. If I am wrong there, please show we how to convert it to our use.
Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Erin

leanne maree wrote:

my only hestitation is that there are various books I don't think can be read by it, because kindle seems to have the monopoly on this. If I am wrong there, please show we how to convert it to our use.
Leanne

Leanne
Just asked Chiara(dd) what you should do. Go to Online ePub converter and it will convert most formats to an ebook format.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2011 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

We were just gifted with a Kobo my mom got for a good deal with Border's was closing. Since it's a Canadian company it's still alive and kicking up here, both in the large chain bookstore (Indigo/Chapters) and online.

We have been very happy with it so far.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Erin wrote:

Just asked Chiara(dd) what you should do. Go to Online ePub converter and it will convert most formats to an ebook format.

I use Calibre, another free converter and a great piece of software for cataloging your books.   Very easy to use. However, be aware that most purchased books come with DRM (digital rights management) encryption, to keep you from copying the book and distributing unlawfully. You will not be able to convert books with DRM on them, unless you strip the DRM. That can be done; however, it is not legal in the US at this time. Many people (including me)believe that once you pay for a book it should be yours to do what you will with it, but for now at least it's against the law.

Keep in mind, though, that you are NOT limited to whatever bookstore your reader comes from. Although Amazon's only format is for the Kindle, and the Kindle cannot read other formats, most of the other readers use the epub format. I have a Sony but buy more books from Kobo b/c they are sometimes cheaper than Sony and they frequently send out coupons for 20% off a book. I think Barnes and Noble's books also come with their own proprietary DRM which cannot be read by other readers; however, their Nook can read epubs from other stores if I"m not mistaken.

www.mobileread.com is a great forum for all kinds of readers, and they also have a large number of public domain e-books in various formats for downloading.

karen

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Karen T wrote:
Keep in mind, though, that you are NOT limited to whatever bookstore your reader comes from. Although Amazon's only format is for the Kindle, and the Kindle cannot read other formats, most of the other readers use the epub format.

Kindle supports TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

A seminarian friend of mine just told me that he downloaded a bunch of encyclicals from the Vatican site converted them into PDF and uploaded them onto his Kindle. I have to do that.

I have the Kindle keyboard and I love it but I am not fond of touch things anyway. (I am always wanting to wipe the screen ) My desktop computer is even a touchscreen but I never use it that way.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Right, but what I meant was that most books that are for sale are either protected Kindle format (from Amazon), which can't be converted without DRM stripping, or they are protected epub, which can't be converted without stripping either.

I think all the readers can read txt and pdfs and you can usually find free converting software to change docs and html to whatever format you need.

Karen

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Does the Touch have ways to sync with your computer? Plug ins? Or does it operate only wireless.

That option seems about what I was picking, Mary. Without 3G it is the price you mentioned. Guess it costs $40 more for 3G.

Thanks, Karen. I think e-ink is probably the way I need to go.

Yes, the Touch can be connected to your computer via USB (the cord comes with it) to charge and to download books. You can connect wirelessly to download books but you have to plug it into your computer to charge it.

3G vs. wi-fi - You really don't lose much by buying the wi-fi only instead of the one with 3G. How often are you really going to want to buy a book while you're out and about? Also, with the wi-fi you can connect to any AT&T wi-fi hotspots for free (they have these at most Starbucks). So, really, there are still a lot of places you can connect and download even without 3G.

Our Domestic Church

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

So has anyone actually bought a Kindle Fire????

We were all ready to buy the Nook color for our daughter and my sister threw this option into the mix. I would love to ask opinions of someone who actually has it in their hands.

ANYONE?????

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Courtney G
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney G

I never post, but I'll jump in!

I have a Kindle Fire. TBH, I bought it primarily for the media. I have a 1st edition Nook that I use for reading (though I'm considering a Kindle Touch). I did read a book on the Fire, but I not think I could handle the screen long-term. As a vehicle for Amaon-delivered media, Netflix, the web, etc., it's a great little tablet!

I had a Nook Color that I sold when I learned but the Kindle Fire, and I'm glad I did.
Back to Top View Courtney G's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney G

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

Mimi, we have the Kindle Fire and love it. but I was already a committed Kindle fan. any specific questions I can answer?

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2011 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dd just bought a Kobo touch today

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 20 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Okay...now that I've watched the SCM e-reader you tube video and read a few of these forms, what's the main difference b/t ipad and Sony?
Back to Top View amy_payson's Profile Search for other posts by amy_payson

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version