Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Kindle Nook Kobo Sony Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2011 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think any of them will do that Mimi, which might be why you feel confused. The wifi on the Kindle I know is through AT&T so if you don't have service for them in your area then it's pointless to get one with the wifi.

My mom got a Kindle so I'm really tempted to get a Kindle just because then we could share

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

mamaslearning wrote:
My main reason for getting an e-reader is for OOP books.

Kobo -- Borders went bankrupt so not sure it's a good idea to purchase a Kobo.

Lara

Dd17 has a Kobo but as she only uses it for OOP books it hasn't been a problem.
The places for OOP books are
Gutenberg
Internet Archives
free books spot

Some books may not be in epub format go to epub bud select convert ebooks you can upload documents to epub from nearly any format.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

JodieLyn wrote:
I think any of them will do that Mimi, which might be why you feel confused. The wifi on the Kindle I know is through AT&T so if you don't have service for them in your area then it's pointless to get one with the wifi.

My mom got a Kindle so I'm really tempted to get a Kindle just because then we could share

I think you mean the 3G network is through AT&T. Wifi just means going through your own home network, or at a place that has free Wifi, like Starbucks, MacDonalds etc.
3G, if I understand it correctly, is like satellite internet, available any place, like riding on the bus, etc but as you say, if AT&T doesn't service in your area, no good.

As far as Borders' bankruptcy, the Kobo can read regular epub files (and I think pdf but I don't have one) - I buy a lot of my books (well, the ones I buy, I use the library more) from Kobo, which is a Canadian company and only used Borders for its e-books originally. Kobobooks.com usually has the best prices on books and they often have sale coupons by email.

As for audiobooks, several of the readers play mp3 files. AFAIK, only the Kindle will play Audible format. BUT, audiobooks take up much more MB of space than epubs or other e-books. And I don't think any of the readers have bookmarking capability for the audiobooks. I love audiobooks as well, but carrying my reader when i want to listen - it's like carrying an old Walkman. I use a Sansa Clip for audiobooks; it's tiny (about 1x2 inches), holds lots of books, and will keep track of where you stop even if you skip around to different books or podcasts. Yes, two gadgets, but for me much better.

I'm going on a 23 hour train ride this weekend to visit relatives. My e-reader is loaded with books and my Sansa is loaded with audiobooks.   

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Quote:
I think you mean the 3G network is through AT&T. Wifi just means going through your own home network, or at a place that has free Wifi, like Starbucks, MacDonalds etc.
3G, if I understand it correctly, is like satellite internet, available any place, like riding on the bus, etc but as you say, if AT&T doesn't service in your area, no good.

umm yeah that's what I mean

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm leaning towards Nook Color -- my brother has one and I got to use it, *love* it for portability (I still prefer real books, but for traveling it would be awesome).

The only thing is I'm still torn between that and Kindle b/c Kindle has the wi-fi.

And then I think, should I just save up more for an iPad???

sigh. decisions, decisions... though i really don't have to pick one for a while, my brother said to wait until the next generation of Kindle.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

stefoodie wrote:
I'm leaning towards Nook Color -- my brother has one and I got to use it, *love* it for portability (I still prefer real books, but for traveling it would be awesome).

The only thing is I'm still torn between that and Kindle b/c Kindle has the wi-fi.

And then I think, should I just save up more for an iPad???

sigh. decisions, decisions... though i really don't have to pick one for a while, my brother said to wait until the next generation of Kindle.

I had to quote you Stef because that is my EXACT thought process. My daughter has saved the money for a Nook Color (I thought it had wi-fi????) but I keep thinking what if I just give her my itouch and take that money ($300) and put it towards and ipad (we would get the 3G one)

AUGH!!!!!!! I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION!!!!!!! Money is so tight around here that a nook where I can download from the library would be sooo great. Then I think the ipad would be great too but I would need to invest further for apps and such !!!! AUGH!!!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

While I have enviously looked at the iPad and other tablets, if your primary desire is for an e-reader, I think you'll be happier with a dedicated reader. Reading on a tablet is just like reading on a computer screen - it's backlit and after awhile, it bothers most people's eyes. Reading on an e-ink device such as Kobo, Sony or Kindle is different; there is no backlight and it's just like reading paper.

If you have an iPod Touch already, have you used the Kindle or Nook reading apps on it? Lots of people read on them, but again, it's just like the computer screen. If that doesn't bother you that's great.

The other reason I'd lean towards a dedicated reader is size/weight. I forget the specs by my sony feels just like a large paperback book; the tablets are much heavier, not something I'd feel like tossing in my purse all the time, or holding for long periods of time either.

But they do seem cool for all the extra things they'll do; I'll grant that!

Karen

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

If you are thinking of an ipad, Apple is supposedly going to release a new version this fall with screen resolution that is "incredible" (quoting dh on that ).

He said the resolution they are talking about is better than the most advanced desk top monitors. He is curious to see how they will look. Might be worth waiting for

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Didn't I see somewhere that there's a free converter for the Kindle so that you can use the free library downloads and such with them?

-Sir Walter Scott

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Calibre is free software that will convert all the various formats. However, it does not work on DRM-protected files, as library files are. At the moment I don't think there is any way to get library epubs or pdfs onto a Kindle if they have DRM, which most do. But Amazon announced that by Christmas the Kindle will be able to read the library e-book files through Overdrive.

Karen

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

correct me if i'm wrong, Mimi -- i thought the Nook can do wi-fi but only if there's service available, vs. the Kindle that has 3G attached but is limited to just the Kindle application? i'm still trying to understand the differences.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Hi! Chiming in here as I just got a Kindle for my birthday (LOVE IT!).

Steph, the Kindle comes in two options:3 G + WiFi which means you have access anywhere in the world (theoretically --not everywhere has coverage)even when there isn't a WiFi connection OR you can get a Kindle with just the WiFi which can connect via your home network or anyplace (Starbucks, McD's etc.) that has free WiFi.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Chiming in a little late here. This may have already been mentioned, but the Nook Color has web access that you cannot parental control or turn off. My ds was saving money towards one until I discovered that detail. I wish they had a way to disable the internet function or at least password protect it.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Courtney wrote:
Chiming in a little late here. This may have already been mentioned, but the Nook Color has web access that you cannot parental control or turn off. My ds was saving money towards one until I discovered that detail. I wish they had a way to disable the internet function or at least password protect it.

That's a big concern. Wow.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

caallas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 27 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote caallas

I got my Kobo during Borders clearance sale at 50% off. Got another for a Christmas present for my parents. The necessary feature for me was it had to be public library compatible which this was.
Back to Top View caallas's Profile Search for other posts by caallas

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I am watching this thread with great interest,
WE are in the matket for an ebook reader but as everyone, we are a little confused as to which one to purchase.
leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

leanne maree wrote:
I am watching this thread with great interest,
WE are in the matket for an ebook reader but as everyone, we are a little confused as to which one to purchase.
leanne

Did you see the comparison video from the people at Simply Charlotte Mason?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimplyCharlotteMason#p/u/10/FUlV FruTfVs

I really love my Kindle, and I think it's a steal to get the version with ads for $114, but obviously some people prefer other readers.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

I love my Kindle. I was gifted the one with 3G but I have yet to use it. I'm not really sure why I would unless I was on vacation. Of course, if I was on vacation I probably wouldn't be downloading books.

My brother has a Sony and also loves it. It has a touch screen as well as the e-ink background (which I really consider to be essential to creating a "relaxing" reading environment). The touch screen was fine, but I love how the Kindle page turning buttons on the side easily fade into the background while turning pages.

I have been looking at getting a nook at some point. Although not any time soon. The price for the color Nook is quite a bit higher, and my main draw is that I could flip through books with color illustrations. Its a trade off though. Either you have the e-ink (which is wonderful!) or the color with a normal LCD screen. I do think a Nook or would be wonderful for picture books, but I'm not sure that I could justify the price just for that option.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Shannon, I'm in the same boat. I love my e-ink touchscreen Sony but would love color also, for picture books, magazines, knitting patterns, etc. Color e-ink is already out in Japan and will be here soon. I'm waiting to update until it's here and hopefully in several readers to bring the prices down. Sony just released their newest update but the only advantage over my model is it has the Wifi now, which I really have no need for - I don't mind side-loading my books and it keeps me from overbuying on impulse. But I think in another year they will have the color e-ink everywhere.

Karen

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Well, looks like the new Kindle Fire and a smaller cheaper version of the Kindle is also now available. Just to add some more indecision!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version