Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: What Catholic Curriculums do you love? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Dove

mommy4ever wrote:

I totally fail at unit studies. I just can't do it. I can follow a curricula from beginning to end but not a unit study or lapbook

About Seton curricula:

How is there English laid out? Is it an all inclusive? Or are there various separate books to use?

Science - is there lots of hands on opportunity? At a grade 3 level, is it each to find items? (I'm having trouble finding samples).

I don't think I have ever followed a unit study in my life but I love them. We choose a topic and see how many subject areas can be exercised in relationship to that topic. We write up what we did after the fact.

Seton English is pretty complete in itself. The top of the page has the basics of the skill being practiced. We'd do a bit of learning on the skill with a chalk board if it was needed but often my kids could understand the explanation and would have no difficulty doing the page.

Each book was a different grade. I kept them in a file at the end of the year as the record of the materials covered.

I remember liking the science books but we did so much of our science in open exploration, they were mostly so I had a record of their work without having to write up our explorations in detail.

I love exploring and hate paperwork. The workbooks were useful and I enjoyed grading them and my kids didn't hate them so they did their work quickly and we were free to go explore or do enrichment.

Some kids hate workbooks. I was one of those kids whose parents purchased them workbooks for Christmas and we'd "play school" and do the workbooks--for fun.

I hope I answered your question...I've been trying to learn wordpress and it is giving me fits.
Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote drmommy

We use a combination of everything.

For my Eighth Grader, we use CLE (Math), CHC/Language of God (English), CHC/Life Science, Kolbe Literature, Latina Christiana, Memoria Press Greek and Roman series, Rev. Furlong Old World History, Seton Thinking Skills, and Faith through our Confirmation program at our parish.

My Fifth Grader, we use CLE for math, Voyages in English, Seton Thinking Skills, Seton Reading Skills, Reading Seton, Literature Kolbe Academy, Latina Christiana, Science Seton, History is Rev Furlong's Old World History, and Religion through our parish's CCD.

My Second/Third grader (special ed), is pretty much all CHC materials for Spelling, English, Reading. Math is CLE, Social Studies CHC, and Literature is Memoria Press Second Grade program. CCD through our parish.
Handwriting through CHC.

Then, at night, I read to the girls different literature books (The Black Arrow, the Little House series, and now The Bronze Bow).

I found out that each daughter is different and at differnt levels and learning styles. However, I am happy with all the curriculum choices at each company, but some work with their needs, and others don't. I do know that my girls have really succeeded in the CLE math, even though it isn't Catholic in nature.

God bless you on your search. Bridget

Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote drmommy

OOPS! I forgot to add Science for my little one. She just struggles in the concepts, so I have been using some books by Fulcrum Press that have worked out so nicely. Her little brain just cannot wrap around some of the harder concepts. Bridget
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2011 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Can anyone comment on the difficulty levels of Seton and CHC?
Ds was in first this year and we tried Seton, but it seemed too difficult for him. Now I'm considering CHC but I'm afraid they will be too difficult too. He's a bright kid, but his reading isn't quite up to where these programs think it should be. I'm thinking of the spelling and english workbooks, so his ability to read will be important.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2011 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Regarding history, I would like to put in a vote for MODG. I think the texts and supplemental reading that MODG recommends are a great way to infuse this subject with the Catholic faith. When following the MODG syllabi, writing is also addressed so it's a nice way to combine the two subjects.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2011 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Becky Parker wrote:
Ds was in first this year and we tried Seton, but it seemed too difficult for him. Now I'm considering CHC but I'm afraid they will be too difficult too. He's a bright kid, but his reading isn't quite up to where these programs think it should be. I'm thinking of the spelling and english workbooks, so his ability to read will be important.

I have found CHC to be on the easy side; I could often have my kids one or two grades ahead of their typical grade. I have no experience with Seton, however.

If you go to the CHC website they have video tours of their materials for every grade. You can get a very good idea of what it's all about.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Becky Parker wrote:
Regarding history, I would like to put in a vote for MODG. I think the texts and supplemental reading that MODG recommends are a great way to infuse this subject with the Catholic faith. When following the MODG syllabi, writing is also addressed so it's a nice way to combine the two subjects.

I think I would call CHC "gentle" vs easy for the younger grades. It is not an overwhelming amount of work or discouragingly difficult. But it is solid in what it teaches. There was another discussion not too long ago about 2nd grade reading for CHC seeming above what a second grader normally reads.

I have found it is a very flexible, manageable and doable program for my ds, who is wiggly and 8.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky Parker wrote:
Can anyone comment on the difficulty levels of Seton and CHC

The CHC workbooks will be easier to read than the Seton ones. Personally, I find the 1st and 2nd Grade Seton English books to be a bit difficult not only reading level wise, but also content wise.   Even Seton will tell you to that if the books are too much, to put them aside and try them later to see if the dc can grasp the concepts. But even then, you may still have to help them read the book in order to complete the exercise. My current 2nd grader is completing the Seton English workbook and is able to read it fairly easily, but she is an older 2nd grader (8,5 yrs old, will turn 9 in the fall), and is one of my strongest readers.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

time4tea wrote:
Becky Parker wrote:
Can anyone comment on the difficulty levels of Seton and CHC

The CHC workbooks will be easier to read than the Seton ones. Personally, I find the 1st and 2nd Grade Seton English books to be a bit difficult not only reading level wise, but also content wise.   Even Seton will tell you to that if the books are too much, to put them aside and try them later to see if the dc can grasp the concepts. But even then, you may still have to help them read the book in order to complete the exercise. My current 2nd grader is completing the Seton English workbook and is able to read it fairly easily, but she is an older 2nd grader (8,5 yrs old, will turn 9 in the fall), and is one of my strongest readers.

I agree with Tea on this completely. I first looked at the Seton workbooks, as a friend of mine uses them, and I thought they were way beyond what a first or second grader could understand and do on a daily basis. That led me to CHC, which seemed more geared to grade level.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

We like the CHC workbooks, too, and I think that "gentle" is a very apt word, rather than "too easy." For years I didn't use them because I thought they wouldn't be rigorous, but this year I broke down and got their handwriting series plus Language of God and have been impressed by their thoroughness, not to mention their user-friendliness. The lessons are short and manageable, which I like -- we don't want to spend all day doing workbooks. I use them as warm-ups for copywork, which I mostly pull from Laura Berquist's The Harp and the Laurel Wreath, another must-have at my house.

Though it's pricey, you might look at CHC's A Year With God to help you in finding ways to live the liturgical year. Women For Faith and Family also puts out very helpful booklets on observing Advent and Christmas and Lent and Easter. We're converts, and in the beginning I could not have lived without these resources. I don't do every single saint's day as a major holiday, but we have picked some days to focus on with serious festivities: on Holy Thursday, for example, we do a family seder using a rite from the Women For Faith and Family booklet.

We have also used a lot of Mater Amabilis. When we were in the very slow process of coming into the Catholic Church, books from their lists were hugely instrumental in winning my children's hearts. We also used the reading lists from Reading Your Way Through History for our history -- we did, and still do, lots and lots of read-alouds.

My favorite catalog, though we haven't really ever used MODG, is Emmanuel Books. I've pulled most of our favorite religion and history titles from their offerings.

Happy bookshopping!

Sally

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

By easy I meant ease of use! The material is solid- it presents it in a very attractive, straightforward manner that is not overwhelming. Because of this, my children flourished with some of them and were able to move ahead quickly and be a few grades ahead.

Not 'too easy' as in not worth it. They are excellent materials.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I placed an order from CHC last week. I have a grade 2 lesson plan for the lessons on the First Communion. I have heard it is fantastic :) A Year with God, and Handwriting.

I figured we'd work through over summer and be relaxed into it for grade 3 in the fall!

Thanks
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

BlessedWith3SNP
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 26 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote BlessedWith3SNP

I use the entire CHC curriculum. It works for us and I just add electives from other sources to it. I also use all of their electives as well. It's just so thorough and sound, I love it!

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 10 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

Becky Parker wrote:

Becky, I am enrolled with Seton, and all my kids are young. I sit and read through the English with my kids, and we do most of the exercises verbally. They do get it, but some of the concepts take more time. They use CHC workbooks (+1 or 2 grades ahead) for independent homework in the afternoon, and they find it to be much,much easier.

However, I think that the CHC lesson plans expect reading fluency much younger than I have pushed with my oldest two, or Seton expects. My just finished-first grader (boy) is still in the 2nd phase of CHC phonics, which is supposed to be kindergarten level. My second grader (girl) struggeled through both Seton and CHC phonics programs for two years and just became fluent in reading in the past 6 months... but using Petty School from the CLAA helped her a TON.

Each program has it's own strengths and weaknesses ... as with all HS programs, right? You tailor it to the child, do what works, shelf the rest and try it out on the next one Good Luck!

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

How would the Language of God compare to First Language Lessons?

I'm looking at them thinking they might be too easy.

We've used First Language lessons and Christian Light Publishing grade 2, and it seems she may have learned most of what is there, now it is spiral, so it may be at a different level, I'm not sure.

I don't mind having to get something easier if the one we get is too hard, but it's a pity to get something too easy, as returning it is costly and at loss, and reselling it is at a huge loss for something that would be new. (yes I'm a penny pincher).

Also the comment about reading fluency, Stacy, could you elaborate?
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I wanted to make a quick comment regarding CHC and reading fluency. When I first was introduced to CHC, back in 2003, Little Stories for Little Folks used to be used as a multi-level program from K-2nd grades. The K's used it for letter/sound recognition, 1st grade began blending and reading the first levels of books, and the final level was not completed until 2nd grade.

A couple years later, Little Stories for Little Folks changed to be basically only a K-1st grade reading program, and 2nd graders went straight to Devotional Stories for Little Folks, a pretty demanding reader for that age group, imho. I'm not sure why the change, but I can say that around that same time, many states were making the switch to all day Kindergarten, with the more rigorous academic expectations that that would imply. While not a Catholic provider, I know that the Calvert School homeschool program, for example, also toughened up its K program (and thereby also 1st/2nd grades) at this same time. Maybe this is what made CHC up it's reading fluency expectations for the younger grades, too, I don't know.

I can say that in the past year or so, CHC has introduced several "bridge" readers for those dc who are not ready to go right to Devotional Stories in 2nd grade. Bigger Stories for Little Folks is one of the new titles, and it looks much more age appropriate. Bottom line, if your dc does not complete Level 1 of LSLF in K, I wouldn't worry about it. Just stretch it out through 1st, and even in to 2nd. Do it at your dc's own pace. I did this with at least one of mine, and in the end it was not a problem. If you use the CHC lesson plans, just pencil in what you are doing over their suggested schedule.

Hope this helps!

~Tea

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm finding this very interesting. Tea, that's a good point about why some of the programs seem to be ramping up their K years. I'm not sure I like it, but it does explain things.
We've been enrolled with MODG for most of our homeschool years and I've been happy with it. My dd will continue to be enrolled for next year. However, I've felt the need to change things for my ds's in 5th and 2nd next year. I was trying to figure out why they both are so "far behind" in reading compared to what CHC expects. MODG is certainly a good program, but, because of the classical methodology, they really don't start heavy duty reading instruction until 2nd grade. At that point they use Sound Beginnings, which is excellent imo. But now, since we are making a change to CHC which I think is a more traditional approach, I wish we would have started that sooner. I guess it's the switching of methodology, not just materials that is making it a difficult change.
I'm planning on using the CHC LSFLF with my 2nd grader next year and hopefully he will be up to speed for 3rd grade.
I wanted to add that I'm not sure it's always the method of instruction or the materials though. I just think some kids, mostly boys, are just not developmentally ready to read at such a young age. However, in my experience, once they are ready, they catch on quickly.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I moved Sound Beginnings to an earlier level, as I thought it fit more appropriately for learning phonics and handwriting at the beginning stages.

It seems the Classical and CM methods both are more gentle and relaxed in the early years, and Montessori builds the skills slowly. For all the reading will come, but at the child's pace. I myself prefer this, but of course there is pressure from everywhere to push it.

The current K programs expect a child to be reading into first grade. To EXPECT it is ridiculous to me, but I did find it came naturally here. But my next son might not move as smoothly.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Becky Parker wrote:

I wanted to add that I'm not sure it's always the method of instruction or the materials though. I just think some kids, mostly boys, are just not developmentally ready to read at such a young age. However, in my experience, once they are ready, they catch on quickly.

Absolutely! I have two dyslexics here, and often, I tried just about everything I could get my hands on to see what finally "clicked" for that particular dc.

~Tea

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

JennGM wrote:

The current K programs expect a child to be reading into first grade. To EXPECT it is ridiculous to me........

Yes, it is ridiculous to me as well! I'm not sure where that expectation comes from, either. Reading is such a complicated task to acquire, to demand that it simply appear by a certain age seems outrageous to me!   I have one more child to reach reading to, and I am hoping it will be smooth sailing here   

~Tea

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version