Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Do you panic about homeschooling? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

Well I used to panic about dd-13 spelling, but its improved, since I stopped pressuring her.
I still at times panic over timestables, because no matter what I did/do, it doesn't help.
In her time with the guidance of God, is where I am with her now

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2011 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm panicing now, up at 4:30 AM worrying because my ds, in 1st grade, can't read the CHC readers (that begin in K!).
I thought we were doing okay because I had the same issues with two of his older brothers but now they are great readers.
But then the panic set in!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

For me....a firstborn, perfectionist with anxiety and health issues that lend themselves to major panic, if I allow them to....one of my biggest remedies for homeschool panic has been to give up comparing! I have to deliberately choose not to compare dc to the children of others...I make a continual choice not to compare whatever curriculum we are using to the curriculum of others (unless we're searching for ideas in a particular realm)...I have to continually make a conscious decision not to compare our parenting, teaching, schedule, family life, etc. etc. etc. to those of others. Not because others don't have much better ways of doing things....but, because I know that if I enter into the realm of comparing ourselves to others I will completely lose my sense of peace and balance in our homeschooling. I also know, through hard-earned experience, life throws enough curves our way.... comparing ourselves to others can be a death blow to retaining a positive outlook on our homeschooling efforts and on our family itself.

Homeschooling is the main area of our life where we truly need to convey a sense of stability for our dc. It helps that we've been at this since 1990....this frame of mind certainly didn't develop overnight. Slowly, gently, bit by bit, the Lord has taught us, especially in the midst of diffulties or crises, that peace of heart, mind and soul is more important than what curriculum we use, our organization skills, whether each child is up to certain standards (especially those set by others), or most of all whether our homeschooling or family life is comparable to others.

BTW, we've BTDT with late readers and repeating a grade...the dc who struggled at one point are now hitting their stride in many areas of homeschooling and life....mostly due to years well spent in responding to their needs as naturally and normally as possible... adjusting our homeschooling to them, rather than expecting them to adjust to unrealistic plans that were not possible for them at the time. "Better Late Than Early", by the Moores is a helpful tool to reassure parents with children who face challenges in reading, or other subjects...waiting to teach some children to read (or tackle other challenging subjects) is more beneficial than pushing the subject and giving a child a sense of failure rather than success. Read alouds are a great way to fill in the gap until they're ready. Some children with learning disabilities can benefit, even at a later age, from having certain subject material read to them, particularly subjects like History or Religion)...they can focus more on understanding and retaining the information, rather than struggling just to wade their way through dense text.

When all is said and done our main priority in homeschooling is to help our children get to Heaven...all the rest is secondary! Our Lord and Savior would not want us to approach the blessing of instructing our children with anxiety or trepidation, but with hearts overflowing with gratitude, as mentioned so beautifully earlier....along with complete trust that He will fill in whatever is lacking, especially when we simply give our children the best we have to offer (not perfection, not someone else's best...simply our humble, often imperfect best....whatever that might be)!

Entrusting our homeschooling to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary can be truly helpful. Years ago it occurred to me that Jesus must have been taught in the home by Mary and Joseph! Contemplating their home at Nazareth....imagining the faith, simplicity and gentleness that would have permeated their family life and educating Jesus within their family....have helped me let go of so many attitudes and expectations that used to contribute to homeschool panic. I found Scripture verses about teaching & instruction, and images of the Holy Family illustrating their family life, especially those that depicted them working together or reading, and plastered them in prominent spots as a reminder to pray that we might imitate the Holy Family in our homeschooling efforts. Lest we think that teaching one Divine Child holds no comparison to teaching a household of children, imagine how much panic we might experience if we knew we were teaching the only Son of God and that our efforts would hold future ramifications for the entire world! Oy vay! Talk about pressure! Thanks be to God that we only have ordinary children to teach and raise up in the way they should go and that we also have the grace and intercession of the Holy Family to assist us!

We are incredibly blessed to live in such a time as this...to enjoy the gift and privilege of homeschooling our own dear children within the sanctity of family life. May God fill our homeschooling families with peace, contentment, gratitude and joy as we emulate the Holy Family in raising souls for Heaven!

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I wouldn't call it panic, but homeschooling fears. They were there much more often when we first started. Experience has taught me that the fears will pass. I can look back over the years and see the patterns of my behavior. When the fear comes I think we're not doing enough, then I buy more, or try to do more, or change something. For the past two years I've had some acceptance with the fact that I can't do it all and doing a little plugging away each day is enough.

Then this past March when everyone was sick for a week and my dh was away... Panic? Ds 12 will be in the 7th grade next year! Baby #6 is due soon! What am I going to do next year???

The fears still come and go. They are strong when I'm not praying regularly. And they lessen when I am trusting that God will guide me. It's easier said than done.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

I'm bumping this thread to the top because, yeah, I guess I DO panic. This morning I sat down at the computer to do a little research--composedly, (allegedly), with a cup of hot coffee--and quickasawink I ended up here (I haven't been over here in TOO long so HI AGAIN EVERYONE!)and there and everywhere.

Do you ever do that? Before you know it you've got, like, eighty windows open in your browser?

I panic that I'm not teaching the "smart" kid enough (thinking, "She should be in a Montessori school or something") and I panic thinking that I'm not teaching the slightly slower kid enough ("Why doesn't she KNOW this?")

And then I go to the library website (it's one of the 80-plus windows open at the top of my screen) and I request a ton--and I mean, a TON--of books, including every book in Hirsch's "What Your This-Grader Should Know" series because I figure, at least they can read the stories.

LOVE the stories in those books.

The main reason I'm bumping this thread to the top is that we're fast approaching summer vacation and I find myself in that familiar, mental place--i.e. "I need to keep pushing them throughout the summer months...so much to do, so little time...etc. etc. etc."

Someone, please, save me from myself.

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

... and Hi Margaret!

January is my "I'm an awful homeschooling mom and my children are being challenged and they're going to flunk out of highschool" time! I'm always optimistic in May: the end is near and next year is a new page! However, this year's January panic yielded several math and critical thinking workbooks -- which we are cranking out quite nicely.

In May, I feel the need to run in the long grass, drink lemonade, swim and relax!! And paint all the battle-torn spots in my house. A couple of math pages and summer reading are the only subjects we do all summer.

But in January, I choose whatever works to make me stop panicking. And this year it was workbooks. So you do whatever makes you stop panicking -- and 80 books from the library sounds great. Plus, you won't have to tell your dh that you spent x amount of dollars to cure your "I'm a terrible homeschooler syndrome."

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Maryan, I so agree with you! And I love the last part about "telling dh you spent x dollars to cure your 'I'm a terrible homeschooler syndrome'" - that's happened here at my house more than once or twice

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't necessarily panic, but I do doubt at times. My plans and implementation don't always match. When I get little feedback from dh (handwriting needs work) then I worry a little and focus on those spots.

But, generally, it's "forces" from outside of the home that supply me with self-doubt and inadequacy. I have to pray for interior peace and evaluate my son honestly, and without that peer pressure.

I do similar things, Margaret. Lots of library books...big plans for this summer to fill in the gaps. I have resolutions for math, some handwriting practice, and lots of reading.

As for workbooks, I tried that route, and I really try to restrain myself to not buy anymore, except for fun stuff for car trips and waiting places. I found that we only did a bit, and then I had the waste of the book and the money. Every time I saw the book I felt it mocking me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 25 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

BUMP!

Clearly, MAY is the month I'm inclined to panic .

This year I'm putting my panic energy toward wedding planning for Devin    . Math is still a thorn in our sides BUT Devin did graduate from ASU, Aiden is taking math at the community college, and my youngest boys are more math inclined.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version