Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Getting a schedule down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Great job! And that quiet time is more precious than gold!!! Enjoy!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Hey, way to get up, Jillian!!    Have to share this little tidbit with you--my dad (known for stating the obvious in a profound way) once stumbled out of his room early in the morning, saying,

"Morning. It's the earliest part of the day."

No kidding, huh?    You don't know how many mornings I repeat his words to myself!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

When you're re-adjusting and having to "push through" those days from early hours....It's important for me to have a PLAN for those early afternoon hours when I start to lose steam....b/c if I take a nap, then I have a harder time going to sleep at a decent hour.

So, having a list of things to do that give you NO OPPORTUNITY to fall asleep during those couple of hours where you would DO ANYTHING for a nap!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote jillian

Caroline, how true is that lol. I was so tempted to turn my alarm off and roll back over this morning but I didn't, I turned off my alarm and sat up, and didn't contemplate, just did it and got out of bed.

Suzanne, I was very lucky to have my husband home yesterday afternoon so I got to spend some good quality time with him while dd took her nap. Today I plan on getting a workout in if I can or getting some paperwork done that needs to get done.
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

SuzanneG wrote:
When you're re-adjusting and having to "push through" those days from early hours....It's important for me to have a PLAN for those early afternoon hours when I start to lose steam....b/c if I take a nap, then I have a harder time going to sleep at a decent hour.

So, having a list of things to do that give you NO OPPORTUNITY to fall asleep during those couple of hours where you would DO ANYTHING for a nap!

Afternoons are SOOOOOOOOOO HARD for me! My baby nurses through his afternoon nap (we do ecological breastfeeding, mostly) so I lose a lot of energy sitting there. But, at least I'm resting and sometimes I read. Then it takes all the will power I have to get up and start back into cleaning or dinner preparation.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mamaslearning wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Afternoons are SOOOOOOOOOO HARD for me! My baby nurses through his afternoon nap (we do ecological breastfeeding, mostly) so I lose a lot of energy sitting there. But, at least I'm resting and sometimes I read. Then it takes all the will power I have to get up and start back into cleaning or dinner preparation.

This is SUPER hard to motivate and get up after it's been all quiet and warm and snuggly. I try to make it sweeter to get up, like a little reward...so I might tell myself that I can have a cup of a favorite warm beverage and exactly 10 dark chocolate covered almonds for a snack when I get up....and while I'm snacking I peruse my list and mentally choose where I'll go next.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 11 2011 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

....or....if I'm getting up to do dinner....I reward myself with a small glass of wine while I cook.   

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

I completely and utterly understand the need to have a schedule and get up early (I do both for survival with my crew), but I also wanted to throw a memory into the mix.

When I started staying home with the dc, they were 3 and 1, and they would cuddle with me in my bed before we all got up for the day. It was some very wonderful time for us.

Also, back when I only had my oldest, I used to take an afternoon nap with her almost every day. Then, when my oldest were 3yo and 1yo, the three of us took an afternoon nap together. Those naps and the cuddling that went with them are some of my fondest memories. Even today with 5 dc, I usually lay down with my current 2yo for 10-15 min nearly every day.

If you have opportunities like this with your dc (since I think you only have one 3yo, right?), take them!!!! Don't let your schedule get in the way. Often with 5 dc, my schedule does get in the way of cuddling, and I really, really miss the days when our homelife could be more relaxed.

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Thoughts of encouragement coming your way! I really miss those days too when the children were not so big and numerous. Enjoy this season while realizing that the rails you lay down now in your daily routine will be a great foundation when your family train is speeding along in the years to come.

Now if I could only get off my iPhone and get in the shower - good thing it's Saturday!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote jillian

Jennifer, I agree, some of my happiest memories are cuddling up with dd in bed before she gets up from her nap or having her come snuggle in bed with me in the morning. Definitely not opposed to that still but I am a happier person when I don't feel awakened by a "chore".

That sounds terrible but I mean it in the sense that I have some time to wake up and time to gather my thoughts and prep for the day instead of having dd get up and have attention demanded immediately for breakfast and that sort of thing.....I hope that makes sense.

I let myself snuggle in an extra 15 minutes this morning and then joined dh downstairs. It's nice, I feel like I get some extra time with him now even though we do our own things to wake up in the morning.

mumsrea
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote mumsrea

jillian you are not alone. (how's it going by the way?)

My dh gets up EARLY, often at 5:30 and i'm dragging myself at 8am. I know everything would be better if i got up earlier but getting out of bed early just aches so much i don't have the self discipline to do it. But i need to get me some. :)
Back to Top View mumsrea's Profile Search for other posts by mumsrea

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote jillian

We have all had really horrible colds the last couple weeks. We have been trying to sleep as much as we can so we can get healthy and get back on track. I am looking forward to getting back on track though.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Just curious (and trying to get my own self on track)... how many times a night are you early risers up with baby, other kids, etc.?

I lost count of how many times I was up last night and spent most of my "sleeping" time sitting upright holding a baby. At 6 AM I put him down and he stayed down, so I stretched out and slept a little... but considering the chaos that erupted about 5 minutes after I DID get up, I wish I had just wandered out to the kitchen at 6 AM!!!

I never know if I need to buckle up or if I'm only doing what any sane person would do in my circumstance...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Angel wrote:
Just curious (and trying to get my own self on track)... how many times a night are you early risers up with baby, other kids, etc.?

I lost count of how many times I was up last night and spent most of my "sleeping" time sitting upright holding a baby. At 6 AM I put him down and he stayed down, so I stretched out and slept a little... but considering the chaos that erupted about 5 minutes after I DID get up, I wish I had just wandered out to the kitchen at 6 AM!!!

I never know if I need to buckle up or if I'm only doing what any sane person would do in my circumstance...

My youngest is 5 months old - I am up between 3-5 times a night for nursing, but we have a family bed so I just roll over to nurse and go right back to sleep (usually).

The 2 year old is usually up at least once, but my dh gets out of bed as needed (although I wake up and hear what's going on).

The four year old has been having bad dreams recently, so he wakes us up once at night.

The seven year old is usually up at least once a week around 3 am complaining that she can't go back to sleep.

I think it all depends on what season of life you are in right now. Up until the babies are about 3 months old, I sleep ALL the time (well, at least as much as I can). I even nap in chairs while the others watch a movie. When the kids are sick, and we are up all night, we all catch sleep and let the routines go for awhile.

I didn't start my early morning routine until a couple of months ago. When I had less children, I didn't feel like I needed to get a head start on the day, but now I need that extra time.

I hope that helps put things in perspective. I just had a feeling a few months ago that I was coasting and not pulling my weight. DH was doing most of the housework and I felt it was time to step up and help. But, like I said, those first months with a new baby are non-productive housewise. I feel it's much more important to care for the infant, establish a good milk supply, and sleep (I also had other recovery issues to deal with).

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Angela, my 10 mo old still nurses several times in the night, usually between midnight and 3 am. Sometimes he cries our with gas pain (he gets stopped up with solids) and it is difficult to get good sleep even co-sleeping. I can usually count on sleeping well between 3 - 6 am.

Our 3yo is usually awake by 6 am even though she is not supposed to get out of bed until her CD alarm begins at 7 am!

In seasons like this I try, really try to get to bed earlier and get some quality sleep before midnight. This is difficult for me - if I have not crashed I long for some reading, knitting or computer time. But since love is supposed to be patient and kind, I realize that getting enough sleep to be patient should be a higher priority!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote jillian

Angela, when dd was a wee one (under a year) she got up a good amount at night. She nursed till 18 months and would occasionally need a comfort nurse between 12 and 18 months until we weaned. Between 18 months and 2 years it varied, at least 3 times she'd get up because of a bad dream or being uncomfortable (she gets growing pains during growth spurts)

I have found when she was under a year we were up anywhere from 3 or 4 times a night all the way up to 10 or more times depending what was going on. Between a year and 18 months it was 3 or 4 times at least but usually no more than 5 times. 18 months to 2 years she would get up once or twice and need some reassurance.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Angela, if you can't function because of lack of sleep then by all means you should be going back to bed and getting that extra sleep. What's the point in getting up early to make things run smoother when you're too tired to run anything anyway.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am completely in the same boat as you. My daughter wakes me up most days (or the baby via the monitor). I really need to get in the habit of going to bed earlier, but it is so hard for a night owl to reform her ways!!! I have found that if I get up every day at the new time for a couple of weeks, I start to get used to it and start going to bed earlier because I am tired. If I sleep in for a day or two, I have to start all over!!!      And no coffee for me since I always seem to be pregnant or breastfeeding!    (not upset about pregnancy or breastfeeding, I just miss caffeine!!!)
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version