Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Reading and Read-Aloud Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

My personal opinion on read-aloud books is that like much else it depends on the reader and child.

I like reading aloud but don't actually like being read to except for brief excerpts from a book - not becouse it 'spoils' the book but simply because I can read faster then anyone can read aloud

My oldest daughter is much the same, she stopped wanting read-alouds as soon as she could read fluently but one sign she really likes a book is finding her reading it to her younger siblings.

My younger children still love to be read to so I read to them my favorite books to read-aloud. For me it's a matter of language, I tend to choose books with interesting turns of phrase or fun little songs (Winnie-the-Pooh) or books where the narrator 'talks' directly to the reader - books that I'll like reading aloud.

There are so many good classic books to read particularly given that I have favorites that I need to reread for my youngest children, I'm not worried about leaving my children with none to encounter by themselves.

I do not consider having read a book aloud to be reason to refrain from assigning it later (although all literature 'assignments' are a matter of a child choosing from a list rather then any particular book)
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I agree with MaryM.... so many great books, so little time! I don't save books.
What if something happened and I was not around to read Little Women with my dc? ACK.

I am a voracious reader, and I distinctively recall never having an interest in books at all until my mother started reading The Five LIttle Peppers and How They Grew aloud to me when I was in the 4th grade. I so much wanted to hear more of the story that I started reading ahead on my own.

I find it very interesting that I have very few memories of being read to, and yet my mother swears that she and my oder sisters read to me ALL THE TIME when I was little.   

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

It was this issue of read-a-louds and readers that prompted me to try Sonlight when we first started homeschooling. I appreciated the distinction.

In more recent years I have been using the MODG book suggestion lists in the back of the syllabus: the read-a-louds for first grade double as the third grade read alones, second grade read-a-louds are fourth grade read alones, same for 3rd/5th. I don't know that they have a list for 6th so I will take a look at the Literature for a Young Lady when we get to that point!

I am still reading the first grade read-aloud list and everyone enjoys the selections. I wish I had begun much earlier!

We may have to repeat some of those books on the Sonlight list like the The Wizard of Oz and Hundred Dresses because they have NO recollection of my ever reading these.

My heart is warmed by how many of you had mothers who read to you. Lovely!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version