Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Reading and Read-Aloud Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just trying to straighten things out in my head.

I keep coming across great books recommended for different ages. Read-aloud is usually a higher level than reading alone.

I keep wondering if I want to "assign" a book for read-aloud or his own reading. Do you "save" books for later for him to read, or do you include some for both, earlier years as read aloud, and then let him read alone?

I keep thinking that making it a read-aloud gives it all away, that the enjoyment of making these good books on his reading list to discover on his own would be a good things.

Specifically why I'm asking is I'm using some recommendations from Mater Amabilis, but also "Writing Road to Reading" has a wonderful booklist. Many of the books overlap, but MA is read-aloud, Spalding method is by reading level as alone. They don't match up for grade levels, though.

It's a silly dilemma, but maybe someone could weigh in what they do.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I tried to "save" the Little House books for my dd and she was never, ever interested. That's when I whipped out Betsy-Tacy, Narnia, etc. and started reading aloud for all I was worth. In my mind it was better for her to love the books as read-alouds than to miss them altogether.

She enjoys reading, but doesn't have my tastes...I couldn't get her to read any Anne of Green Gables books (we own them all) or anything I loved from childhood. Together we have discovered other wonderful books and series, which has been wonderful. There are many, many wonderful books for young people out there.

I'm not sorry I "used up" all those wonderful books as read-alouds, though. I am guessing she would not have picked them up otherwise, and would have missed out forever on these books.

PS - My son liked most of the read-alouds that I aimed at dd - except the Narnia books. Go figure. We read almost all the LOTR series aloud, which he loved as an older student. They both see my example of re-reading (I re-read my favorites every year!) and so I know they will not be shy about revisiting their favorites later in life.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

We read a lot of books aloud to our children. I don't save books for them to read alone, but they do read plenty of books on their own. I have found that reading aloud, often leads a child to pick up the book and read ahead or read it at a later date. I know that I discovered and fell in love with Charlotte's Web thanks to my second grade teacher reading it aloud. She also read Stuart Little and Trumpet of the Swan. We own all three books and my older children have enjoyed listening to and reading them. Some of the other books that they have enjoyed listening to can be found here.

My oldest daughter tries to keep track of the books that she has read and will sometimes tag them as possible read alouds.

As I am typing, my husband is reading Rolf and the Viking Bow to my three oldest children.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I don't save them. I think that the read-aloud experience is totally different than reading the same book later independently as an older child. The book may be the same, but the child is not the same and that makes the book new again.
I distinctly remember my mom reading The Hobbit to me as a young child, and then reading it myself when older was a wonderful experience. Not only did I get different things from it as an older reader, but the reading also brought back a flood of wonderful memories of the time when my mom read it to me. It still does.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Willa

My view is the same as Theresa's. My 7 year old has worn the Narnia chronicles out from rereadings -- I read them to him last year and he went on to read them himself, several times. The same thing with Winnie the Pooh. Similarly, my older kids have a long trail of privaterereadings of Lord of the Rings based on their father reading it aloud to them when they were very small. The books have become close friends.

Often a child will approach a book on his own with MUCH more pleasure and understanding after he's had it read to him. It will be associated with memories of closeness and sharing.

CS Lewis said that you can't say you've read a book if you've read it only once. I look at the first read-aloud as the introduction of an old friend to one's child. Hopefully they will develop a lifelong relationship and passages will soak their way into their minds and hearts, and they will pick them up to read to their own children. So it has been in my family.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Elena

It's like watching a movie again. You see it once and it's all new, but when you see it the second time, you see and hear things you missed the first time!

and so it is with re-reading or re-exploring a book!

On another note, if the child is familiar with the story, the next time it is easier to concentrate on thigns like punctuation, vocabulary, etc.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I don't save them as I learned the hard way.
If I can't entice ds to read it on his own, I will get him the book on audio. This solution has worked as he finished "Old Yeller" today and enjoyed it very much.

Happy Reading!

Mb

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have saved books like some of the I Can Read books and refuse and redirect from reading Little Bear and Frog and Toad as read aloud picture books because I want to have some books at that level for ds to read when he gets to that level. To me, they are charming books but written especially for that purpose, and the language and story aren't especially inspiring as read alouds.

I haven't really done that with chapter book read alouds, though. I do recall doing that mentally, though, with book recommendations. For instance, I recall someone telling me about a series of WWII RAF books that I am sure my boys would positively LOVE. I briefly considered getting them before deciding that there was no reason to get them as read alouds right now but "save" them for when they are reading on their own.

My parents never read chapter books aloud to us, only picture books at bedtime, so I don't really have any memory of my own to draw from. I do recall having read some books on my own while very young (e.g., Little Women in 2nd grade) and rereading it later as if it were a different book altogether. I reread the Narnia and Little House books so many times, I can't even now recall any special "experience" associated with reading them the first time.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I have saved books like some of the I Can Read books and refuse and redirect from reading Little Bear and Frog and Toad as read aloud picture books because I want to have some books at that level for ds to read when he gets to that level. To me, they are charming books but written especially for that purpose, and the language and story aren't especially inspiring as read alouds.

I have done the same thing, Lindsay.

CrunchyMom wrote:
My parents never read chapter books aloud to us, only picture books at bedtime, so I don't really have any memory of my own to draw from. I do recall having read some books on my own while very young (e.g., Little Women in 2nd grade) and rereading it later as if it were a different book altogether. I reread the Narnia and Little House books so many times, I can't even now recall any special "experience" associated with reading them the first time.

I'm a rereader, also. Little Women I must have read 10 times, and each time something different. So I understand the perspectives shared here.

This is similar to my experience. We were a very literate family, following my parents' examples. But we didn't read chapter books aloud. That is probably the crux of why I'm asking this question. I'm having a hard time adjusting to adding read-alouds to a plan when my own education wasn't lacking not having read-aloud chapter books.

I know it's silly, but I just wanted some experience weighed in here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just as an anecdote that I only just remembered, I think it was my sixth grade teacher who read read aloud chapter books to us, and I'm pretty sure the first one was The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I now recall loving it and reading all the others. I'm not sure that I would not have been introduced to the books otherwise--just saying that my only experience with read alouds appears to be my first introduction to a beloved series.

I'm trying to remember what she read to us that year...From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler perhaps? That's the only one I can think of, but I do remember enjoying it a great deal!

Funny how one's memory works sometimes!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I'm trying to remember what she read to us that year...From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler perhaps? That's the only one I can think of, but I do remember enjoying it a great deal!

I digress a bit, but in my mind, some books need to be cherished and read to oneself. My reasoning is one that it evokes a comfy feeling which gets spoiled when it was read out loud at school. Like The Velvet Room is a totally read alone book.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was one of my favorite books (reread a billion times), but when I heard it read aloud, it was a jolting experience. The main character doesn't talk nice about her family or talk nicely to her brother. I think reading it alone I could smooth out those rough spots so I could get to the story and not let that bother me. Read aloud it sounded so stark and mean.

And come to think of it, reading The Velvet Room out loud you see the cruelty of language and sibling rivalry, also. It's not as glaring and ugly when read alone.

Am I the only nutcase who overthinks like this?

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was one of my favorite books (reread a billion times), but when I heard it read aloud, it was a jolting experience. The main character doesn't talk nice about her family or talk nicely to her brother. I think reading it alone I could smooth out those rough spots so I could get to the story and not let that bother me. Read aloud it sounded so stark and mean.

Not at all. My dd 10 and I took a trip to D.C. and then to Manhattan last year. I remembered loving The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and since we were heading to some of the spots mentioned in the book I thought my daughter would love it too. Well, she did. There are lines we still giggle about like "..income Claudia, income..." But there were other parts read outloud that I can see exactly what you mean.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

JennGM wrote:
   I digress a bit, but in my mind, some books need to be cherished and read to oneself. My reasoning is one that it evokes a comfy feeling which gets spoiled when it was read out loud at school. Like The Velvet Room is a totally read alone book.

And come to think of it, reading The Velvet Room out loud you see the cruelty of language and sibling rivalry, also. It's not as glaring and ugly when read alone.

Jenn, I have never thought of read alouds in that way. I guess it is similar to not wanting to watch a movie based on a cherished book because then you are watching someone else's interpretation of the book and their interpretation might be totally different than yours and therefore ruin the whole experience. I guess in reading aloud, you are at the mercy of the person reading as to what words they emphasize, etc. Hmmmm.

I do not save books for my kids.   My thinking is that I want to share the experience of reading a fabulous book with my kids. I want to delve into those mysterious worlds right alongside my children. It's hard for me to put this into words but I feel very passionate about reading aloud with my kids. I could hardly wait until my kids were old enough to enjoy Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, the BFG, and others that were favourites of my childhood. It was like handing down a legacy to my kids.

I am pondering your words, though. They have given me much to chew on.   How do you decide, though, what books to read aloud and which to save for your children. (There is supposed to be a question mark there but I pressed an unknown button and it will not type certain punctuation.)

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote MWeber

My parents didn't read chapter books aloud to me, but I hope to do so with my children when they are old enough to sit through them. It's hopefully irrelevant, but I was never super close to my parents, and I wonder if I could have bonded with them in some way if they had done so. Silly thought, I know. But sometimes the only time I cuddle with my 4yo is when I'm reading to him. The rest of the time, he's jumping off the walls!

My DH's aunt would *always* read The Worst Christmas Pageant Ever every Christmas Eve after dinner. His aunt was a very difficult woman to be around (wasn't crazy about kids, lived alone all her life, much older than DH's parents), but his memory of her reading this book is still cherished. We ended up reading it last Christmas for the first time in years, and all my DH's brothers and sisters cried with laughter. It still invoked such strong and fun emotions.

That being said, I totally understand the thought that not all books are good read alouds. Hmm...something to ponder.

BTW Christine - your list is wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

(edited Best Christmas Pageant Ever to Worst Christmas Pageant Ever LOL!)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 07 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:

I guess I don't think about it that much.

In general, we're reading aloud books that are above the children's independent reading level. This isn't always the case since we now have older children, who could be at a reading level above that which I'm reading aloud. I can see how different families would approach this differently. Our oldest still very much enjoys read alouds with the family, so we just make sure we're reading quality literature; some literature, I believe, transcends reading level.

We read books we want to enjoy together, and both of my older children have gone on to read many/most/all of our read-aloud books independently (several times for some), enjoying them anew.

I would agree with Willa's and Theresa's (and others) perspectives. Rich, wonderful writing speaks to the reader in the different places they find themselves when they read, or are read to. The words echo in deeper places of a growing child's heart and mind with each new meeting, much as Willa said here:

Willa wrote:
CS Lewis said that you can't say you've read a book if you've read it only once. I look at the first read-aloud as the introduction of an old friend to one's child. Hopefully they will develop a lifelong relationship and passages will soak their way into their minds and hearts, and they will pick them up to read to their own children. So it has been in my family.

Lovely.

I think Charlotte Mason had amazing insight towards living books and the "relationship" between the reader and the author's words. A child develops a relationship with a living book, whether read aloud or independently.   That's why Little House on the Prairie, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Swallows and Amazons never grow stale! When I read aloud, I am, as Willa points out, simply introducing my children by way of my voice to the author's own words.

If we're in the mood for a great book, I pull it off the shelf and we read together! Occasionally, I might consider something in light of a period of history or a branch of science we're studying. That's about the extent of my contemplation.

Having said that, Jenn, if you feel a book wouldn't make a good read aloud, then you could just choose something different for a read aloud.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Fwiw, I didn't love Mixed Up Files. I think I might have reread it on my own once. It probably wouldn't be a first choice for a family read aloud.

Also, Jenn, how old were you when you heard it read aloud?

I find that there are things I didn't notice much as a child that really irritate me as an adult (whether its age or simply that my sensitivities have changed for other reasons). For instance, now, The Berenstein Bears really annoy me because of the way Papa is portrayed as being as foolish and troublesome as the children. It came up recently at a party with fellow homeschoolers, and no one else there had ever noticed it and one rather blunt friend suggested I was over thinking it.

Honestly, it wasn't a matter of over thinking. I don't recall thinking very much about it at all (except later trying to decide if my distaste was good enough reason to give away the stack of books that were passed on to us). I just read them and didn't like it.

I enjoyed the books as a child and never noticed (though, where I could be accused of over thinking is always wondering in general about the things I never noticed as a child that bother me now and trying to figure if they still influenced me even if I wasn't aware at the time )

So, perhaps it wasn't the fact that it was being read aloud, but it was just revisiting it in general after a time, and you were more sensitized to see that aspect of it more clearly.

Though, in the case of that particular book, it is in character for the older girl to be mean. She really lacks empathy throughout--I mean, only in being oblivious to the feelings of others would someone willingly inflict such pain as she must have to her parents, yk? I'm not sure I would want to smooth over her words to make them less cruel. However, I think that I wouldn't read it to younger children who are little parrots and might imitate what they hear. I'd probably "save" it for an older child.

MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote MWeber

Lindsay - I definitely understand your opinion of The Berenstein Bears! I got the same impression, although I do still read some of them, especially the ones talking about being scared of the dark, going to the doctor, etc.

I also compare them to Max and Ruby. My kids love the characters, but the way Ruby treats Max drives me nuts, LOL.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I guess I don't think about it that much.

I have to say I have not thought about that much either - so it has not been really a consideration here. The way I look at it is..."So many books, so little time." There is no way we are able to read aloud all the great books there are to read and enjoy.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Willa

JennGM wrote:

I do that overthinking thing, too. Sometimes I never get to something I really want to do, because I'm afraid I will ruin that experience for my kids by doing it "wrong."

I think that's a good point about some books being more personal than others. I think some books definitely make better read-alouds and shared books. I usually like to read aloud stories of adventure and heroism, come to think of it.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

jenn, you're not the only one overthinking. i loved reading peter pan and alice in wonderland by myself, but when i was reading it aloud to the kids, i was so thoroughly disgusted with the characters!

and michele, i feel the same way about Max and Ruby. i think they are just the cutest pair! until i try seeing them from my kids' points of view, then i'm not sure i want ruby influencing them. (and i keep wondering -- where are the parents in this???)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version