Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Have you started school? When? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: When do you start schooling again? When is the new year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [11.48%]
5 [8.20%]
16 [26.23%]
8 [13.11%]
6 [9.84%]
13 [21.31%]
3 [4.92%]
3 [4.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged  

Last year, we started when the schools start which is just after Labor Day. That made our school year seem to last forever.
This year we started earlier - 2 weeks ago, but it's not been a great start. I sort of jumped in without having all my ducks in a row and I could have used another week of planning first. But we're working out the glitches and will hopefully find our "groove" soon!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged  

kristacecilia wrote:
We're starting next week... and I am really, really not ready.

Matter of fact, I should be working on that right now.

Yeah, that.

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged  

We officially started back Aug. 16. It has been going very well so far even for my 12th gr dd who usually gives me such a hard time. My 4thgr ds does some math and grammar review all summer, but I give him a couple weeks off before and after the school year.

Adele
Back to Top View aforb001's Profile Search for other posts by aforb001

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 8:45am | IP Logged  

We started August 16. BUT none of the children's friends started and there has been a flurry of exciting activities happening since we 'started'. Since we had a stressful summer and no family trip, I have been letting them off the hook to do fun stuff.

next year I think I'll follow the example of a seasoned hs mom I know, and school till Independence Day and start up again on Labor Day. Get it? Independence and Labor....? I thought it was cute.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged  

We started August 23, but really it's more of a transitioning -- we haven't completely stopped since 2001.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged  

stefoodie wrote:
We started August 23, but really it's more of a transitioning -- we haven't completely stopped since 2001.   

Us either.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged  

I voted "Other". As Leanne has explained, here in Australia we start school the last week in January. Mid summer here but past the hottest part. School Year ends the week before Christmas.

The school year is broken up into 4 terms, 10 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Six weeks off at Christmas. When the children were little we didn't keep to school terms, we do now, easier to catch up with friends and I need a break.

We are currently nearing the end of our Third Term.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 01 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged  

I put other because we intended to start around the 4th of July, but life got crazy and we are instead slowly transitioning to what I hope will be our full schedule. Right now we are doing lots of read alouds that cover literature, history, religion, geography, science... not every day, but at least a few days a week. I need to get more regular with all those and also add Math and Phonics and maybe music and art (but we are just doing kindergarten with the oldest, so I have time to work the bugs out!)
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Adriatica
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 01 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged  

We'll start on Monday, 9/13. We're out of town over Labor Day weekend, so I figured I'd need some days off to regroup from that.

Due with #3 in August!
Back to Top View Adriatica's Profile Search for other posts by Adriatica

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged  

Two more days to vote! thanks for participating .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged  

I clicked "other"

We are post-partum by one week and I am NOT going to burn myself out this year...yes, I am repeating this over and over...

As I am regaining my strength we are working on a new routine that includes all chores, meals and meal prep as well as prayer times. Even the school shelves are being organized and simplified. The basement had a leak while I was in the hospital so even that is getting overhauled. ...and we are talking ruthless de-cluttering...I need simple and easy to see and maintain.   Dh is totally on-board so the kids have no idea what is happening to them...LOL

After the Christening, I will slowly add in a few subjects at a time so that I can have a less stressful transition from the children going from a good deal of freedom to a different way of life...

Wish me luck!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 03 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged  

We started August 23. My son going to college but he is living at home , so it makes things easier if we keep his schedule. I think. (Maybe we should have a poll in November about whether our schedules are working out well.)

I want dd to finish this academic year by early June, so that was another good reason to start early.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version