Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Overridden Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

hylabrook1 wrote:
...LOTS of driving around in a car without a/c in record-breaking heat, only to return home totally *done in* and then looking at a dirty house ...

...attitude! The driving around ...one-on-one time with whichever child I'm schlepping. The waiting in the car time is for prayer. Picking up around the house, keeping surfaces fairly cleared off goes a looooong way toward hiding the reality that more complete cleaning hasn't happened.

Many years ago, someone told me that St. Teresa of Avila once said, "My interruptions are my life." BTW,does anyone have a source for that, or maybe even the correct quote? ...

You know, I'd bet that Mary wasn't looking to become a mother in her teens. But that angel interrupted her prayer time and she accepted what was being asked of her. Many Hail Mary's get said inside my head, an ongoing prayer to remember this truth.

Nancy, once I tied together HEAT + DRIVING = bad attitude, I was able to regroup . It's still hot here but I hold onto the hope of cooler weather right on the horizon! And the driving is getting sooooooooooo much better. I especially love the one-to-one time with my 15yo. These days are precious (sans the heat .)

"My interruptions are my life." Nice summation .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Printing this to read with my tea. Overridden - I have always called it 'taken for granted' - it's so easy for everyone to take for granted that mom can deal with it all...I can't wait to read the practical suggestions. I'll be back with my thoughts later.   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Yep, Lisa. This is exactly where I am today after an especially busy weekend. Each other person leans on Mom and then can't see why Mom feels overburdened. It's not just the needs of that one child (or dh) at that one moment, it's the total of all of the other family members. I'm not kidding - sometimes I go to the parking lot at Home Depot and look at the sheds on display and plan my private, personal life - which involves living in a small space, alone. I find it a good way to restore my personal balance, silly as that might sound.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

hylabrook1 wrote:
I'm not kidding - sometimes I go to the parking lot at Home Depot and look at the sheds on display and plan my private, personal life - which involves living in a small space, alone. I find it a good way to restore my personal balance, silly as that might sound.

Peace,
Nancy

LOL, I thought I was the only one that did things like this, although I've decided that I'll have to make it more like a dugout - something no one can even see from the house! Digging in secret, then one day I'll just disappear...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I actually have plans drawn up for a Hobbit Hole tucked into a hill on our land...alas, our LOTR fans would sniff it out in a heartbeat and most likely overtake it as their own private retreat. I need somewhere quiet and totally uninterrupted right now...we had to restore our computer over the past couple days...lo and behold, ALL our favorites were accidentally lost in the process! Of course, we were doing the computer restore in the midst of much too much activity...so all focus was completely overridden by other pressing matters of the day! Ah well, 'tis life in a homeschooling household! (I am still quite sad over the loss of years of favorites....so many wonderful things, many lovingly shared by 4Real family, lost in a split second)

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 22 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Erin wrote:
Angie,

I was recently talking with a friend, we were reminiscing how when all our children were little and our pace of life was gentler we were able to maintain lovely routines. The fact is as our children grow older our routines are never the same, I've slowly come to the acceptance that it is all fluid.   

My house is a disaster though, so thanks to this great conversation I'm having a 'moment' and thinking I will treat it as an opportunity to 'encourage' the children to be more self-disciplined about their chores.

...I'm becoming so flexible I'm starting to think of myself as "Elstagirl."

Erin, one of the ah-ha moments that has come to me has to do with the fact that the schedule I have now is *clearly not my will.* When the children were little, what we did or didn't do was my will, for the most part. Yes, I encouraged them to choose their own books and play creatively and follow rabbit trails. Yes, they had choices within the context of the container that I chose, I made. Yet, I chose the container, the environment, the schedule, the commitments. Now it's almost the opposite! I conform to the will of others.

This conforming IS good...even though I can't say that it FEELS good to me. I have to admit that I'm a strong-willed lady (for better and worse.) God is so good to give me this opportunity to practice conforming .

And, yes, we too have had to become more organized about housework. My 5yo is finally being expected to chip in .

Can you tell that I'm going down the list of replies here and replying to each? This may take awhile but I want you all to know that this topic has been, and continues to be, a bright spot of hope for me! Keep 'em coming. Elastagirl...that's funny

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

When I wrote my post on CM in a Busy Household I hadn't seen this thread.

Angie, I just wanted you to know that this thread has helped me immensely. It is, in essence, what I was (am) battling in my CM post.

Today I'm thinking God must have meant me to be a contemplative and I totally missed the boat.

Yet this is where I'm supposed to be and I'm immensely happy in my little cajun cottage. I just have to keep keeping on.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Willa wrote:

(2) Allow margin -- leave time envelopes around things. That's the biggest thing I do. It's hard, too -- very countercultural. Everything around us fights against it, says we should be maximizing productivity and efficiency.   Those things are good, but in context.

I struggle with this. I never seem to leave enough time and am always in a hurry.

Willa wrote:
(3) Take it lightly -- reset the emotional switch when I feel like I'm getting steamed and thrown out of whack. Joking helps -- taking pictures -- saving it up for a family story -- sympathize with the person who feels even worse than I do. Remember that these things make the best memories sometimes.

(4) Offer it up -- I read once that somewhere in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is interrupted no less than 11 times during the course of going somewhere. Interruptions are God's agenda getting in the way of mine -- ouch

My goal is to keep my mouth closed. Then, I take a deep breath and try to smile. This is life. Some would say that life is a series of interruptions.

If school doesn't get completely done over the course of the year but we're all relaxed, then I've done what I can despite the interruptions.

This year, my "interruptions" include a 2 yo who is, I think, currently working out her molars , an infant, renovation going on in our house (we still have a bathroom cupboard and contertop in our front hall from this weekend), appointments outside and in the house (energy efficient windows, coming soon!), and a visit from my parents in a couple of weeks for which we need to prepare. I can't really complain about any of that, can I?

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Today I'm thinking God must have meant me to be a contemplative and I totally missed the boat.

I have those days, too. But truly, God would've put us in monasteries if we belonged there according to Him. I admit to myself I'd go crazy with loneliness and silence if I think about it for any stretch of time.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 29 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tina P. wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

I have those days, too. But truly, God would've put us in monasteries if we belonged there according to Him. I admit to myself I'd go crazy with loneliness and silence if I think about it for any stretch of time.

I always think of the Cure d'Ars who struggled with this. His vocation was to be a parish priest, but he kept trying to join a monastery. God had other plans.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Cay Gibson wrote:

I used to say that, now I'm thinking Hermit would be more my style.

Really enjoying this thread.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Willa wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:
How do you deal with, in practical terms, your plans being overridden?

How do you avoid feeling personally overriden and deal with the related emotional and/or spiritual challenges?

(1) Expect it

Exactly. Now that I've had some time to settle into this new season...to expect to be overridden by an amazing assortment of outsiders, it is my new normal .

Quote:

(2) Allow margin -- leave time envelopes around things. That's the biggest thing I do. It's hard, too -- very countercultural. Everything around us fights against it, says we should be maximizing productivity and efficiency.   Those things are good, but in context.

I needed to MAKE margins. In the end, I realized that I needed to get up at, gulp, 5:30 each morning to reasonably expect myself to have any spaciousness.

Quote:

(3) Take it lightly -- reset the emotional switch when I feel like I'm getting steamed and thrown out of whack. Joking helps -- taking pictures -- saving it up for a family story -- sympathize with the person who feels even worse than I do. Remember that these things make the best memories sometimes.

With teens, this is critical, don't you think, Willa? Teens are much better versed at seeing the light side than I am!

Quote:

(4) Offer it up -- I read once that somewhere in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is interrupted no less than 11 times during the course of going somewhere. Interruptions are God's agenda getting in the way of mine -- ouch

Yep, yep, yep. If find great consolation in the fact that if something clearly isn't MY will, then grace is working toward God's will.

Quote:
(5) Allow margins -- repeating it for emphasis -- on BOTH sides of the day, week, or whatever. If something has thrown you out of whack timewise, carve out a little space later in the day to get back in the swing of things. Otherwise life gets so reactive and the emotion and stress just build and build (in my experience at least).

I also am finding it helpful to allow myself to "get back on track" instead of back peddling to do what was meant to be done earlier. Sooooooooo, if we miss an hour of reading because of (fill in the blank), and I don't have a space later in the day, I let it go and just do what was originally planned for right now.   

Quote:
(6)Sitting down prayerfully with the planner and figuring out how the new things are going to work with the 24 hours in the day and your priorities really helps put things back in equilibrium....(7)Talking it out with my DH really helps too (not venting, but just brainstorming for constructive workable solutions).

I have finally sorted through the layers of our days/weeks/months/year. (I love the actual visual of Outlook calendar that can layer calendars on top of each other.) Praying with dh was key to getting this to work (to include me getting up at 5:30...have I mentioned that already ?)

Quote:
(8) Remember how God has provided in the past. If He really wants this for you, He will find a way to make everything happen that needs to happen.

He has! Praise, God.   

Quote:
(9)Related to that: Be willing to reconsider priorities -- is this still top of my list given the extra time and energy it will take? Sometimes things take on a life of their own and stop being the best thing for the family. It takes some thinking through every now and then. Again, some margin or down times to consider the big picture can be really helpful. ... periodic retreats or the equivalent.

In retrospect, the biggest thing that I did for myself was to get up earlier and stay up later. Yes, I don't get enough sleep each night, but, I spent time figuring out how to re-energize during the day.

Quote:
(10) I feel like I should have ten things but I am out of ideas.... Sometimes it helps to remember that you're in a season -- transitioning from summer busy-ness to September academics is not easy.   People all over America are stressed right now. This too shall pass. There!   Great thread -- I will be coming back to reread!

Amen, sister! August, September and even into October are tough!

Thanks so much for helping me through this time, Willa and all.

Love,

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Angie and eveyrone, thanks so much for this thread!!! I didn't see it before and I need it so much, especially these days....

Offering up prayers for all of you -- I have no advice, kinda running on empty, but I appreciate all the thoughts shared here.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I think of this thread regularly, Angie. Thank you for starting it!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

A completely overridden week

My youngest 2 are staying the week with Grandma and Grandpa in St Louis and I had grand plans to do major decluttering and organizing this week. Instead....we have the stomach flu.    Each case 36 hours long, coming almost precisely 48 hours apart. I have spent my week doing laundry and cleaning/recleaning bathrooms. And being quiet so the sick one of the day can rest.

I was so hoping to use this week to pull myself out of the "crisis mode" I have spent the better part of a year struggling in. Evidentially that is not to be.    

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

sewcrazy wrote:
A completely overridden week

My youngest 2 are staying the week with Grandma and Grandpa in St Louis and I had grand plans to do major decluttering and organizing this week. Instead....we have the stomach flu.    Each case 36 hours long, coming almost precisely 48 hours apart. I have spent my week doing laundry and cleaning/recleaning bathrooms. And being quiet so the sick one of the day can rest.

I was so hoping to use this week to pull myself out of the "crisis mode" I have spent the better part of a year struggling in. Evidentially that is not to be.    

and prayers for you.

Since school started we're in overridden mode. It's just been one thing after another.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Ladies, whenever we are in crisis or overridden mode I always thank Almighty God that we have a greater say in our schedules, especially in how they can be changed or adapted...so many other families' daily/weekly schedules are dictated by outside entities, especially schools. It is an incredible blessing when we have illnesses, a death in the family, or any number of events that override our well-laid plans, to be the ones making decisions as to how we can alter or adapt our days to accommodate more important aspects of life, such as family members and souls! No matter what comes, those are the things that matter most!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version