Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: school room/area - let's share! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Side question, does your organizing by history mean your period fiction, too?

Yes. Historical fiction, biographies, realistic historicals, journals, fables, folk tales & legends...all are categorized historically on my shelves.

JennGM wrote:
Do you have other books that are cultural and geographical in separate areas of organization?

I do keep a specific area for geography/cultures when they predominantly speak to a culture rather than a period of history. An example would be Stories From the Americas by Frank Henius. This book lives on my geography/world cultures shelves.

JennGM wrote:
What a daunting task, but satisfying when it's done! Thanks for the inspiration.

Yes!!! Very!!! It's immense...and once started, I got to the middle of the project and started to panic...books everywhere...small people taking books that looked oh-so-delicious and tantalizing once they saw them stacked BUT SO WORTH IT!!!!! I stuck with it...and then used my label maker to label all my shelves! PERFECTO!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2010 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
question#1:

Do you happen to have a list of topics that you have divided your books into?? Like science topics for example. I am making myself dizzy second guessing that topic in a logical fashion.

Let's see if I can give you my list breakdowns:

Science

** Field Guides and Reference
** Science biographies
** General Science (these are mostly early years guides)
** Physical Science - to include:
      Physics
      Chemistry
** Earth Science - to include:
      Geology
      Oceanography
      Meteorology
      Paleontology
      Astronomy
** Natural History (which crosses over into Life Science so much, but it's enough of a focus in our days that it rates its own section)
** Life Science - to include:
      Botany
      Zoology
      Anatomy & Physiology

History

** Ancient History (Creation through the time of Christ)
** Greek History
** Roman History
** Middle Ages
** 12th century
** 13th century
** 14th century
** 15th century
** 16th century
** 17th century
** 18th century
** 19th century (Europe/England)
** 19th century (America)
** 20th century - Modern
** Presidents
** Indians
** Wars

Donna Marie wrote:
I am just starting to delve into our extensive book collection...culling and trying to figure out a logical order for storage and display...they would be stored in boxes under beds when not in use and on certain shelves when in use. Sounds tiresome, and it is, but if I don't...no one will really find anything and the shelves will just be a decoration on my wall with other boxes in front of it blocking access to them!

It does sound like a worthwhile undertaking though!!! Think of the great use you'll be able to make of all those blessings your husband worked so hard to provide for your family! That's what I use for motivation anyway...when I'm in the middle of a gigantic book re-org...and concerned for my sanity!

Donna Marie wrote:
question #2:
If you are putting John Bosco with the January books, how do you cross reference him with history...a master list or what??

3 ways

First, on the inside first page of EVERY.SINGLE.BOOK we own that fits into a period of history, I have penciled the following:

century (with significant date in parentheses)
Feast date if appropriate
setting
short note sometimes

So....here's what Edmund Campion: Hero of God's Underground looks like:

** first, it is shelved under December
FRONT INSIDE COVER SAYS:
** 16th century (b.1540 - d.1581)
** Feast Dec 1
** England
** persecution of Catholics in England, Jesuit priest

Second way...I am working on a spreadsheet so that I can have something in my binder to use as a reference while planning. It's a work in progress. I wanted to get the shelves working first, and they do...and it's wonderful!!! Now, I can catalog away...and cross reference away.

Third way...I am including a small tag taped to the spine of my liturgical year books that has a number on it. That number will be indicative of the century the saint's story takes place in. So, the number 16 is on the spine of St. Edmund Campion book. I use my labelmaker again for this because its stick value is high, and I don't want these peeling off.

Donna Marie wrote:
question #3: Pacing?
How do you decide how many books your children will cover in a quarter. I understand that age would come into play here, but what helps you make that decision of when and how much?

I do have a general idea of how much each child is capable of reading, so that does factor in. I go by Charlotte Mason's guidelines for book coverage:
Quote:

Grade:      # of Books read/term      pages read/term
1 - 3...................16.......................640-800
4 - 6...................25.......................1250-1500
7 - 9...................30.......................1800-2100
10 - 12...............35ish....................2450-2800

This is a guide, but the books I've chosen this year are pretty reflective of this breakdown. Source: The Books and Things Seminar from Simply Charlotte Mason.

How'd I do, Donna Marie? Did I answer your questions?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Here's a bit more on pages covered in a term for 9th grade from Ambleside Online:

Ambleside wrote:
Charlotte Mason's students covered approximately 1600-2000 pages in a term by Year 9, using about 40 different books.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, my goodness, Jen, you never fail to amaze me! (I've said that before, haven't I? Well,I'll probably say it again and I'll mean it every time.)
I have a question about the recommended reading guidelines.
For grades 1-3, 640-800 pp. Does that include read-alouds? I sure hope so...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:

Yes!!! Definitely includes read alouds. It would include any book that child encounters -- field guides, reference books used regularly, read alouds -- all books!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mackfam wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:

Yes!!! Definitely includes read alouds. It would include any book that child encounters -- field guides, reference books used regularly, read alouds -- all books!

Oh, good! *whew* I'm not as slack as I was beginning to think!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

So, did anyone else stay up all weekend reorganizing their bookshelves?

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

Paula in MN wrote:

I did - another few days and I should have the school room all done and photos up on my blog.

I even have empty bookshelves - whatever will I do?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

dakotamidnight wrote:

FILL THEM!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Lori

How funny! As a matter of fact, I did stay up and organize books! With hubby and ds11 away at Boy Scout camp, and the little ones in bed at a reasonable hour, that gave me lots of time to play with books and shelves...one of my favorite pastimes!

I organize our school shelves by grade level/year right now, since I'm only hs'ing 2 of my dc, and they're doing much of everything together. I've plotted out several years in advance, with those books in ascending levels of shelves, and it's mostly based on which historical period we're covering that year, plus our math and science, art and music books.

Then I have shelves set aside for series of books (mostly free reading stuff) because I like how they look all uniform on the shelf! If I need a book from a series for a particular year, but want to leave it on the uniform shelf, I put a paper "bookmark" in between the books it WOULD have sat between to remind myself to go get it when it is time.

Separate tower of shelves for religious and devotional books and materials (going to attempt some home CGS this year).
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

CrunchyMom wrote:
dakotamidnight wrote:

FILL THEM!

Oh I will - the Summer tent sale at the library is in 3 weeks!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Paula in MN wrote:

Well I did, in fact I went to a garage sale and bought more shelves

You see I hadn't unpacked my adult fiction and faith books, now I have

These shelves have an interesting life they have gone from housing steamy romances (they came from a shop) to housing theology.

I do admit to finally being rather embarrassed though, it really looks like a library in there. Now I do need to buy a label maker so I can remember what is where.

And good news is, when I finish (I'll be at this for days yet) I think I may have spare shelving!! What should I do?? I suspect I shouldn't buy more

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

OH.MY.STARS

I am in love, Erin!!! Dreaming wistfully of former romance novel shelves turned into home library shelving! That looks absolutely amazing! I'm doing the happy dance for you across the pond!

Erin wrote:
I do admit to finally being rather embarrassed though, it really looks like a library in there.

EMBARRASSED?????? Are you kidding??? You've got half the 4Real membership turning pea-green with envy! Who wouldn't want that luscious library in their home??? And found at a garage sale?? That just makes it all the more delish!

Erin wrote:
And good news is, when I finish (I'll be at this for days yet) I think I may have spare shelving!! What should I do??

More happy dances of course...and then, I just have confidence that you'll figure out something to do with those extra shelves!

Seriously, that is a terrific home library you've got there! Is this the same room you posted pics of on the first page of this thread? Or a different one?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Wow. Just wow. I'm totally geeking out about those shelves.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well with such enthusiasm I'll admit to paying $40 each Not too sure if you realise that these shelves are double sided so they really equal about the size of 3.5 of my other bookcases each. Yes it is the same room, which meant I had to pack away the book bins which I totally loved but I'll think of something yet

dh told me that he thought they'd also make good display shelves, they are only narrow, the size of paperbacks.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I could tell they were double sided - what great book storage space!!!!!

Your room is so bright and open now with the shelves. It's so cheery and inviting!!!!

I was thinking like your husband that you could display a few books facing out...maybe alternating that depending on what you're reading in history/literature/liturgy.

You might also be able to display a clear canister of nature treasures on the shelf near your nature study books, or a thin basket of something appropriate...do you have Holy Traders? Or Mary Lotto card games? Those could go in a basket near your liturgical year books. How about a basket of novena cards near your theology section, or prayer books?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2010 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote Erin

LOVE your ideas!!!
Now my creative juices are stirring, but first I need to make inroads in choosing which adult faith books will never be read So I'll try to restrain myself until I get all the books sorted and onto shelves.

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 22 2010 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote Belle

Oh Erin, my sin for the day is definitely envy. Can I come live with you? I don't need a room of my own, I'll just curl up in the library....you won't even know I am there.
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I don't know what made me grin the most, your fabulous room Erin, or Jen's reaction!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm just seeing this and Erin, I am really amazed at such a great library! Those shelves are perfect. I think I am going over to our used book store and see if they might have some old shelves in the back they want to sell!

I also wanted to add on to Jen's idea about displaying some of the books facing out. For the littlest ones, you could put some picture books, facing out, on the bottom shelves. My littles don't do a great job of returning books to shelves properly unless they are displayed that way. It doesn't look like you could do really big books that way, but the smaller, board type books should fit.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version