Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Describe Your Notebooks, Please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, gosh, Meredith, now you've given me something else to ponder.
Comparing the History Scribe with the Notebooking.com and the History Portfolio series:
I like those history scribe pages because of the little history blurbs at the tops of each page.But I don't like that the format of the pages is all identical and plain-looking. I also wonder if the blurb will inhibit additional narration. I like that there seem to be TONS of them for a very reasonable price.
I like the variety of the notebooking.com pages, the different layouts and pretty borders, etc and that I can get them in different line widths. I don't like that they only have ancient (and US?)history and then I'd have to switch to something else.
I like the Portfolio series because it goes from ancient to modern, and I like the table of contents as a spine approach. I also like the layout/variety of the pages and the option of a teachers manual to pull ideas from. I wish it were available as a pdf file or on CD.
Decisions, decisions...
anybody want to throw something else into the mix for consideration???

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I just had to come and post that we have the History Scribe AND Geography Scribe and WE LOVE IT!!!! We got it a while back when the company sent out this message that they needed to fix their car and so they had an amazing sale. Oh and just to mix it up even more, we got their Science Scribe Astronomy set and finally got my dd to want to do some planet copywork!!!!

My oldest two love to see what they will be covering for the day and its great for me to be able to continue to just print and put in their notebooks!

We have the Notebooking.com pages and love them for other copywork like the Little Flowers verses and poems but I really have been using the Scribe for consistency purposes.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Theresa, I think that the Portfolio series looks as if it would really fit your needs well, and I really like the "look" of it as well. I think that, considering you are just looking at it for JBug atm (I don't remember if you are still maybe schooling your grandchildren or their ages or anything, so, sorry if I'm assuming wrongly), the PDF factor isn't so weighty an issue for you. With multiple children only 2 years apart, it just wouldn't make sense for me to spend that kind of money so many times in succession if there is somethingle and else printable *comparable,* but without that factor, the PDF option isn't so much a deal breaker. Jmo.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Excellent points Lindsay. I am indeed just thinking about it for JBug. My grandsons are 6 and 4 and are living/schooling with me right now, but they are always an unknown, so it is hard to plan for them. I do like that with the notebookingpages.com stuff I have, I can print up something appropriate for all three of them for nature study.
Mimi, about the History Scribe--do the pages come in primary-lined styles or regular ruled? What is the line width?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
Excellent points Lindsay. I am indeed just thinking about it for JBug. My grandsons are 6 and 4 and are living/schooling with me right now, but they are always an unknown, so it is hard to plan for them. I do like that with the notebookingpages.com stuff I have, I can print up something appropriate for all three of them for nature study.
Mimi, about the History Scribe--do the pages come in primary-lined styles or regular ruled? What is the line width?

Theresa, I agree with Lindsay and the portfolos for JBug and I'm thinking that the "Scribe" sheets are too advanced for the little guys. They are college ruled, I just printed one and they are only 1/2 inch total. Personally, I am not endorsing the Scribe products per se, I just knew what a good deal it was and also knowing that I've got one going into highschool and three more coming up the pike within the next few years I would want to have these on hand, especially all the fun boy scribe pdf's. The History Scholar pages Barb shows in her Notebooking Resources post are more detailed and varied in that they have some prompts for writing and essay questions included with each set. And these all came with the $20.00 Bundle I mentioned in my post in addition to the History, the Boy Scribe, Geo scribe and Bible scribe pages.

Hth give you even more to flip on your griddle Hugs,

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Meredith. That's good info.
I am actually now thinking about the Scribe/scholar stuff maybe for Sam. He is waffling on whether or not he wants to get back into notebooking again or not, so we will just have to see with him. The price is certainly reasonable, though.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

My history scribe has both primary lines and the HWOT lines (don't know how else to describe)

My almost 10 dd uses them and they work great for her and my almost 8dd uses the HWOT lined ones. May be a bit small for Jbug

Waiting anxiously for tomorrow's Notebookingpages.com sale!!!!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

A reminder that Notebooking Pages is having their huge sale. You can get every one of their page sets for $57.50.    $10 more and you can have it on cd.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

stacykay wrote:
A reminder that Notebooking Pages is having their huge sale. You can get every one of their page sets for $57.50.    $10 more and you can have it on cd.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

What an AWESOME deal! Thanks for the reminder and bump (because even though I've been looking forward to Wednesday since it was first mentioned, I might have forgotten to check!).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, Sam (aka Superboy) just chimed in and was instantly attracted to the high-school level History Scribe pages, so that's a done deal there. Now I just have to decide for JBug.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Just throwing this option out there as well, in case anyone has yet to find just the right thing:Hold That Thought history pages

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Yes, and we also have had the History Through the Ages Timeline Figures from Homeschool in the Woods for ages and could be using them with the notebooking pages. I kind of forgot about them

Yeah, for Sam btw That'll be fun for both of you perhaps!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Meredith,

Do you have any ideas on how to use those Figures with Notebooking? I've had them for a while but was trying to find a simple way to incorporate the figures.

TIA!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Mimip wrote:
Meredith, Do you have any ideas on how to use those Figures with Notebooking? I've had them for a while but was trying to find a simple way to incorporate the figures. TIA!

My initial thought would be to make copies of the timeline figure for whatever time period the notebook page will represent and then they can color it in. We have some sticker versions and some cardstock versions, so that will vary at this point. I do like the fact that each figure comes with a little description and that will be helpful for including on to the page.

That's about as much thought as I've put into it so far, do you have any ideas???

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I would think you could just slap one of those puppies onto a basic notebooking page (say in the top left corner, or bottom right, whatever) and you've got a nice ready-made custom page.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 05 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Meredith wrote:
Mimip wrote:
Meredith, Do you have any ideas on how to use those Figures with Notebooking? I've had them for a while but was trying to find a simple way to incorporate the figures. TIA!

My initial thought would be to make copies of the timeline figure for whatever time period the notebook page will represent and then they can color it in. We have some sticker versions and some cardstock versions, so that will vary at this point. I do like the fact that each figure comes with a little description and that will be helpful for including on to the page.

That's about as much thought as I've put into it so far, do you have any ideas???

We enjoy using the notebooking figures from Homeschool in the Woods. My kids color them and glue them into their Book of Centuries, and then...they make a quote bubble for the figure using a color pencil drawing directly on their BOC. They like adding in witty little blurbs as if the figure is speaking...some of them are hilarious. This could be done anywhere on any notebooking page or BOC.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Mackfam wrote:
Meredith wrote:
Mimip wrote:

We enjoy using the notebooking figures from Homeschool in the Woods. My kids color them and glue them into their Book of Centuries, and then...they make a quote bubble for the figure using a color pencil drawing directly on their BOC. They like adding in witty little blurbs as if the figure is speaking...some of them are hilarious. This could be done anywhere on any notebooking page or BOC.

LOVE THE BLURB IDEA!!!!

We are just starting our book of centuries this year so I think this could really work well!

Theresa, I hadn't thought of just cutting and pasting! Wow, how simple yet it will sooo work.

I think I might use both ideas. I am starting RC history volume 2 this fall and I think combined with the timeline figures, we are going to really concentrate on History this year!!! I am so excited and am now thinking about some pictures of the apostles and saints that I could add to both the notebooking pages and the book of centuries for those time periods.

YEAH!!!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Just thought I'd come back and post a bit about the History Portfolios... I went ahead and bought the Medieval History Portfolio for my 13 yo ds because we both thought it might help him organize a notebook beginning where we are in history. But apparently I didn't read the fine print? The pages are printed on nice cardstock, but they're all landscape orientation... and so is the binder they come in. This makes it difficult to add our own pages to the binder, as we have many pages in portrait orientation. So it's going to be a lot of flipping the binder around to look at the pages right. (not sure if that would bother everyone, but it kind of bugs me a little.)

The teacher's guide comes with pretty exact ideas about what information to add to the pages, which (except for the map pages and timeline pages) are all blank, box formatted. The teacher's guide for the regular portfolios does come as a PDF so you can print out more than one of the activities or artwork included (there aren't a whole lot, really, for each "chapter"). I decided against buying the junior portfolio for my 7 yo because everything that would be in the PDF teacher's guide is included in the portfolio, meaning you don't get any PDF at all. (In my understanding). With a bunch of little boys tagging along, that isn't so great for us in that age-group.

Anyway, we're still figuring out how to use this thing, since we're not using it as an actual history curriculum (which is, I think, what it's sort of meant to be, along with its literature selections). One of the reasons we decided to buy it was because the "chapters" corresponded pretty well to how we had divided up medieval history on our own this year. But it would have been nice to have the last chapter broken down a bit instead of just lumping together "Roots of the Renaissance"... and not breaking out, say, the Crusades, etc.

(I should take a peek at the Renaissance Portfolio to see where the Wars of the Roses and the Hundred Years War go).

Anyway, I might pick up the History Scribe high school pages, too, since I think I'm going to use the Geography Scribe for my 11 yo dd next year. One of the biggest problems I have in looking at all this stuff is that we're not starting at the beginning, we're starting in the middle. Much easier to start at the beginning!!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, I'm glad you updated us.
This sounds like it is about what I expected it to be, so that's good.
re the pdf's for littles: I do think there is permission to copy within the family the materials in the teacher's guide section of the junior portfolio. Not as convenient as a pdf, but if you remove that section straight away, and use it as a non-consumable copy source, it should work for lots of littles that way.
Oh, and did you see the link on the site for the lined paper to add to the blank boxes? Is that on the pdf teachers guide as well?
For the extra sections in the last chapter,perhaps you could photocopy some of the blank pages onto cardstock and make your own headers to add to the last chapter, or your son could just do a separate small notebook for the last chapter using history scribe stuff.
I still have not decided myself between the classic or the junior for JBug. She is sort of in between them. How many pages per chapter are in the classic portfolio?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version