Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Describe Your Notebooks, Please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Oh my goodness- did you see the Nature Portfolio??? It looks wonderful.

Theresa-- are you looking at the Classic level or the Junior level books for JBug?
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sarah M wrote:

Theresa-- are you looking at the Classic level or the Junior level books for JBug?

I'm waffling.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote Angel

lapazfarm wrote:
Angel wrote:

Do you think the teacher's guide is necessary or not?

I don't know. I think it might be nice to have the suggestions at the ready just in case, but not to feel as if we have to follow them, you know?
Now that I am back to schooling more kids again, I definitely see the merit of having pre-made stuff at the ready, just in case my creativity (or patience) is maxed out.

Mmmm, yeah. I know what you mean.

You know, as I look at this, I do wish the pages were available as a PDF or on CD. I can't imagine that we'll use all the pages, and I do imagine that we'll use some of our own devising. (I mean, at least I hope we would.)

But it looks pretty decent. I was disappointed that the notebooking pages site that Jen linked to only had Ancient History and American History themed pages. My dd is really enjoying the wildflower and bird nature pages, and I used some of the regular nature study pages for my little boys the other day. (We made earthworm booklets.)

Of course I'm the one who said how her boys weren't really that interested in notebooking over the years. So either hope springs eternal or I'm a glutton for punishment.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Those look awesome! But I think I'm with Angela, I wish it was available as a PDF so you could pick and choose. I'm planning to use First Timeline next year, and so many of those pages would make nice supplements, but I anticipate spending much less time on each period right now and couldn't invest in all the notebooks, yk?

It does provide wonderful inspiration, though, for how copywork and other (sometimes free) resources could look included.

Sarah, did you see the nature notebooking pages available at the site Suzanne and Jen recommended? Do these appeal more to you?

JennGM, did you use the cards AND the timeline or just the cards from Mary Daly?

Again, the nice thing about a pdf is that you can use it for all your kids repeatedly rather than needing to purchase it all again for each one!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM, did you use the cards AND the timeline or just the cards from Mary Daly?

Lindsay, we have both, but I have just used the cards over the year. Coloring is not my son's favorite activity, but for the most part this program has been encouraging it.

As an aside, I find my son likes to color things if he knows what it's supposed to look like, reality based items (animals, birds, historical figures). If he's given a page with more imaginary characters or items that aren't so historical to color in "whatever way he wants" he doesn't like that as much. Perhaps the fine line is what interests him -- Viking ship is so appealing.

(I don't tell him how to color or what colors to use, he just compares the coloring page to the reality picture in his mind or books.)

What I wanted to do at the end of the year is to color the timeline to look back at the whole picture of what we covered.

We started making our notebook yesterday. We're going to have tabs and use pages similar to Simply Charlotte Mason (so not the timeline yet, maybe next year) to put in the sections.

It's our notebook, so I can make what I want, right?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Angel wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:
Angel wrote:

Do you think the teacher's guide is necessary or not?

I don't know. I think it might be nice to have the suggestions at the ready just in case, but not to feel as if we have to follow them, you know?
Now that I am back to schooling more kids again, I definitely see the merit of having pre-made stuff at the ready, just in case my creativity (or patience) is maxed out.

Mmmm, yeah. I know what you mean.

You know, as I look at this, I do wish the pages were available as a PDF or on CD. I can't imagine that we'll use all the pages, and I do imagine that we'll use some of our own devising. (I mean, at least I hope we would.)

But it looks pretty decent. I was disappointed that the notebooking pages site that Jen linked to only had Ancient History and American History themed pages. My dd is really enjoying the wildflower and bird nature pages, and I used some of the regular nature study pages for my little boys the other day. (We made earthworm booklets.)

Saw them, adorable!

Angel wrote:
Of course I'm the one who said how her boys weren't really that interested in notebooking over the years. So either hope springs eternal or I'm a glutton for punishment.

This is my concern too, and I second or third the desire for the material as a pdf, cause we like the pick and choose method. This is what I like about Notebookingpages.com and all the materials at Currclick.

I am perusing the Ancient History pages and the Nature pages, they are pretty and nicely laid out, just not sure if we'd follow them to a T

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yes, I am wishing they were in PDFs, too, but I am also thinking that since they are simply 3-hole punched, it would be easy enough to remove a page or add one in if I want to.
Plus, to be quite honest, I have notebooked a lot in the past and I know that one thing that held us up sometimes is that I would get tired of always having to print something up whenever we need it for *every* subject. So, while I have and use the notebookingpages.com sets for copywork and nature study (along with various kid-made pages) and I like that flexibility, I am thinking it will be nice to have one subject (history) already printed and laid out for me. Perhaps this is because history is my weakest subject so I could use more support there?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
Plus, to be quite honest, I have notebooked a lot in the past and I know that one thing that held us up sometimes is that I would get tired of always having to print something up whenever we need it for *every* subject.

Yep! This is very true, and set back when I'm less than organized

Would love to hear what you think if you do pick on of these up

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

CrunchyMom wrote:

Sarah, did you see the nature notebooking pages available at the site Suzanne and Jen recommended? Do these appeal more to you?

Oh yeah. I totally forgot. I have those. I just bought them after winning a Currclick gift certificate on Meredith's blog .

Awesome!!! Thanks for reminding me.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

lapazfarm wrote:
Sarah M wrote:

I'm waffling.

Aw, man. You were supposed to be my guide here, because I'M waffling. My Primrose is the same age as JBug (I think). Though I think I'm leaning toward the Junior levels because I also have a 6 yo who would dig them.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sarah M wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:
Sarah M wrote:

I'm waffling.

Aw, man. You were supposed to be my guide here, because I'M waffling. My Primrose is the same age as JBug (I think). Though I think I'm leaning toward the Junior levels because I also have a 6 yo who would dig them.

LOL! Didn't you know, you should NEVER look to me as a guide! I am a well known erratic!
JBug is 8, but is dyslexic, so she is working at about a 1st grade level (maybe).   So I will probably go with the junior for the first one, then perhaps switch to the classic after that.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Sarah M wrote:
Oh yeah. I totally forgot. I have those. I just bought them after winning a Currclick gift certificate on Meredith's blog .

You definately scored there

lapazfarm wrote:
LOL! Didn't you know, you should NEVER look to me as a guide! I am a well known erratic!

Um, I can vouch for that!

Now I have to go back and look at the other link....

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Sarah M wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Awesome!!! Thanks for reminding me.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

fyi, I just got a notice from notebookingpages.com saying they will be having their biggest sale of the year starting next wednesday, May 5. So if anyone is thinking of major purchases there, you may want to wait a few days.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Lindsay, we have both, but I have just used the cards over the year. Coloring is not my son's favorite activity, but for the most part this program has been encouraging it.

I was sort of thinking of getting both the cards and timeline, letting him color the cards as we covered them, but with me coloring the timeline as I felt like it! I thought the timeline would make a nice, succinct one for our school room for the next few years, and I like the simplicity of it but would like some color.

Is that weird?

I'm not opposed to letting go and living with less than perfection in order to allow kids to help with certain projects, but for some reason, I think I'd like this to look "nice" and I'm not convinced that my son would offer his *best* work consistently for a whole timeline.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

I was sort of thinking of getting both the cards and timeline, letting him color the cards as we covered them, but with me coloring the timeline as I felt like it! I thought the timeline would make a nice, succinct one for our school room for the next few years, and I like the simplicity of it but would like some color.

Is that weird?

I'm not opposed to letting go and living with less than perfection in order to allow kids to help with certain projects, but for some reason, I think I'd like this to look "nice" and I'm not convinced that my son would offer his *best* work consistently for a whole timeline.

We've been very slowly going over the First Timeline over the last two years with my 5/6 year old coloring the timeline.

I must say that the two year advance in skill and care is quite obvious She's spent some time 'cleaning-up' older figures which has been a good oportunity for review.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:

Is that weird?

No, that's not weird. Further down in my post above I was kind of saying the same thing. Do the cards along the way, Complete with the timeline, making it nice and hangable. Like ekbell says, I'm just loving how he has improved over time, and I think *He* will want to make it nice, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Can you type in those notebooking pages at all? Or does everything have to be printed first and written in hard copy?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

No, you cannot alter them. At least I can't.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
fyi, I just got a notice from notebookingpages.com saying they will be having their biggest sale of the year starting next wednesday, May 5. So if anyone is thinking of major purchases there, you may want to wait a few days.

Here's some more Notebooking News

Happy Monday

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version