Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: An Unschooler Goes to High School-Update! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

It does seem to depend on the school and state.

We discovered that Notre Dame, for instance, has no provision for homeschoolers on their website. Most schools we've looked at do. I'm going to contact their admissions to find out if that is an oversight or if they just don't take homeschoolers.

The University of California systen won't even look at homeschoolers. You have to start out in a junior college before applying. The UC Riverside is the first UC school to consider changing their policy to look at homeschoolers.

Boston College told us that homeschoolers needed to take all the SAT II tests they could to show that they were able to handle a rigourous curriculum.

Xavier University (here in Cinci) simply wanted a transcript, SAT or ACT scores, course descriptions and an interview.

University of KY wants homemade transcript, course descriptions, no diploma and an essay.

Ohio State University wants all you can send and does not require a diploma. That is the school that told me that it would be to my daughter's advantage to apply as a home educated student because we could showcase her personalized education.

University of Miami, Ohio is hard on homeschoolers who apply as freshman but are amenable to them once they have a year of college under their belts at one of their other campuses. Lots of kids in our neck of the woods have followed this option.

Julie

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Aside from the conservatories, Libby is also looking at Barnard (we'll add other schools to the list, but Barnard is local). Barnard wants the SAT, 3 SAT II scores, and a list of books read, papers written, and grading criteria. Honestly, it does not look too bad...not much different from the typical applicant.

We visited Boston College last weekend informally, and Libby loved the campus, though her dad and I have major theological issues with those who run the college (my mom is an alumna of a short-lived BC Associate degree program, so she insisted that we take a peek). I suspect that most northeastern liberal arts schools require that SAT and SAT II scores. I know that Mount Holyoke no longer requires them, but most students take them anyway, since they must take them for other colleges.

Unschooling presents challenges, but it's also a great way for us to highlight individual strengths. Why not take the SAT IIs? Prep for them with one of the many books available, and just take em.

One of the things the admissions dean at Juilliard suggested to me (personally) is that I remain in contact with her during the admission process just to make sure we don't miss anything. While most schools (according to the Wall Street Journal a while back) have relationships with certain guidance counselors in high schools, we must act as such counselors for our kids. Call. Nag. Make sure you are doing all you can to get your kids noticed. He will already stand out as a homeschooler, but the kids who has an advocate in the admissions office has a leg-up. Befriend these deans!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

juliecinci wrote:

We discovered that Notre Dame, for instance, has no provision for homeschoolers on their website. Most schools we've looked at do. I'm going to contact their admissions to find out if that is an oversight or if they just don't take homeschoolers.

Julie

Julie,

We found that Notre Dame wanted three specified SAT II scores from homeschoolers - don't remember which ones exactly. It was more hoops than we could jump through (especially since they don't offer merit scholarships).

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Okay, that sounds similar to Boston College. And we had the same reaction... too many hoops.

My dad is a very devoted ND alum so hope springs eternal that one of his linneage will end up there eventually! :)

Thanks Anne Marie.

Julie

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Macbeth, thanks for that additional info on BC. I have a friend whose son is there and just flourishing! It's Jesuit, like Xavier, and his description of the school reminded me of X but on a larger scale. Their emphasis on social justice and becoming ethical people who use their gifts for service to others and the planet really appeals to me.

My daughter is taking an AP psych class right now and I would imagine that the prep for that test must be similar to prep for SAT IIs. We haven't gone that far yet.

And you're right about interfacing as a counselor. One of my friends appealed to admissions of OSU after a rejection letter advocating for her son and they reversed their decision and took him. He had scholarship money he had to use at that school and that swayed their decision.

Julie

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The HSLDA website has a huge list of colleges that are friendly or at least accepting toward homeschoolers.

The UC system is woefully anti-homeschool. I went to UCLA, but I have no idea if they will be interested in my kids. The Board of Regents has created some kind of (useless, probably) committee to look into formulating a policy about homeschooled applicants...that could take decades! I researched this issue for an article I wrote...and ended up very disgusted with my home state. California's all about standardized testing (they have a high school exit exam). Grrr. (That's my UCLA Bruin growl in action!)

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Fellow disgusted Bruin here. I'd probably be even more frustrated if we still lived in CA but since we're in OH, it's a moot point.

Some bold homeschooling family (or collection of them) will have to take the UC system on! It's a state system for crying outloud and home education is not illegal in CA. It's not like these are private schools which can exclude whomever they want to.

In that way, we're happy to be in Ohio.

Julie

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We kept our CA residency (well, dh did, as he's military) hoping to take advantage of the low UC tuition. So much for that brilliant plan. (I wouldn't live in Riverside if you paid me...)

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote KASB

Anne Marie M wrote:
juliecinci wrote:

Julie

Julie,

We found that Notre Dame wanted three specified SAT II scores from homeschoolers - don't remember which ones exactly. It was more hoops than we could jump through (especially since they don't offer merit scholarships).

Anne Marie in NM

My son graduated from Notre Dame in 2005. They have quite a few homeschoolers in their student body and at one time did have requirements for homeschoolers listed on their website. My son applied under the early action program, we used our own transcript and his SAT II scores were not included in his application. And while ND does not offer merit scholarships, their financial aid is outstanding . They are able to meet 100% of the family's demonstrated financial need. We paid MUCH less for his 4 years there than we were going to have to pay to either Ave Maria or Southern Catholic for our daughter. He does have student loans, but they are manageable.

He had a great experience there - it's a special place.

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9
8 boys (23,14,10,8,7,4,3,14 mos.) and 1 girl (22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kym,

I'm glad your son had a good experience at Notre Dame! They must have changed policies since he was accepted - my son is currently a college freshman, and the SAT II scores were definitely required of all homeschoolers (but I don't think they were required for "regular school" applicants).

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote KASB

Anne Marie,

When he applied the 3 SAT II were required, but his scores didn't reach ND before he knew he was accepted under early action. I also know of another homeschooling family who had the same experience a couple of years before my son applied, so we went ahead and followed what they did. From our experience and from what a few others have told me, it seems applying under early action at ND is an advantage.

I hope your son is enjoying his first year of college - it goes by so quickly!

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9
8 boys (23,14,10,8,7,4,3,14 mos.) and 1 girl (22)

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Kym, you're giving me hope! I may just add ND to our list again. I know it's a great school. My dad and brother are heading up there this weekend for the UCLA v. ND game (grrr.... wish I could be there). There is a magic about ND.

Back on the list, then!

Julie

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

While I have you on the phone, did you create a transcript as well as a description of classes? And what kind of SAT or ACT scores did your son have? It looked like they require pretty high ones.

Julie

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote KASB

Hi Julie,
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer you - we hit a busy spell. First off, we are not unschoolers and my son's high school curriculum was designed with ND's requirements in mind. We did create a transcript using MS Word - nothing fancy, just the course names, grades, GPA, and test scores. We also wrote a course description for each class listing the main text used, plus additional reading and activities related to the subject. It was 7 or 8 pages long and I think it helped to show the depth of what he learned. The other family I mentioned also included a list of course descriptions. Their curriculum was less "traditional" than ours was - I would consider it relaxed - so it seemes that writing up a more detailed list helps the admissions committee see what the student has done, no matter what the style.

His SAT and ACT scores were high and I do think that was important because it gave credence to the grades listed on his transcript. He is an Eagle Scout and I believe that helped. He also was a National Merit Finalist, but I was told at ND those are "a dime a dozen", so I don't know think that set him apart, but perhaps did add more validity to his grades.

Running short on time again, but please PM me if you have any other questions. My son was also at the game this weekend - what a great finish !! And you are right, there is someting special about Notre Dame.

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9
8 boys (24,14,10,8,7,4,3,14 mos.) and 1 girl (22)

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Great finish for my Dad (ND alum) and heart-breaking for me (UCLA grad). :)

Thanks for all the detail. That helps. My daughter's ACT scores are not exceptional. Her language is very high but her math is too low. She is retaking this weekend and we hope she pulls it up a lot. She's working like crazy.

Half of her education has been through our local high school so she had transcripts from there and is on the honor roll. Has a 4.0 right now in her senior year.

We'll see how she does with the ACT and go from there. She's got a great resume as far as extra-curricular stuff that she's done that sets her apart. I just don't know if she tests well enough for ND. That's the real question.

I appreciate all the information you shared!

Julie

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Trip's first report card is in...

Just in case anyone tells you that unschooled/real learning kids can't possibly do well in "real" school, you can tell them that you know of one who got...straight As in a strict, academically challenging high school.

Except Phys. Ed. He got 82. They don't include that in his average, but they also don't include his orchestra grade, which was 100.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Way to go, Trip. But that's exactly what I would have expected.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Great news!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Woo hoo! Way to go, Trip!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version