Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Woo Hoo!!! High School of Our Dreams! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Louise

I am still wondering about what kind of new material is being offered in HSOYD. For example how does Nancy approach world history? Does she offer suggestions for more recourses than the usual textbooks, for example Christ the Kind Lord of History? Is there plenty of choices to accommodate learning styles? And then how easy is it to put it all together? Let’s take the example of world history. How would you Elizabeth put a course together for your son using the suggestions in HSOYD? I hoping that I will find some kind of guidance there that will make HSOYD more than a mere catalog of books (like Emmanuel). In this respect, is it like their middle school plan, with ideas of how to use the material suggested? Even general ideas would be good.
Thanks,

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I wrote this review for the Sonlight Catholic yahoo group. I thought it might answer a few of your questions perhaps, Louise? Some of it repeats what Elizabeth and Mary have already said, much more eloquently than I.

Blessings,

~Books

I thought I’d share my thoughts on CHC’s newest product, High School of Your Dreams.

For starters, I am very surprised. Its not at all what I was expecting. I guess I was thinking it might be a bit like the Middle School Lesson Plans they released last Spring. Its not. That doesn’t mean I don’t like it…its just different from anything I’ve ever seen before.

Its very large, and bound like the Middle School Lesson Plans or A Year With God. The first section is about 40 pages long. This section clearly marks the philosophy of education behind this program. The second section, almost 200 pages, is the section that contains the regular subjects covered in high school graduation requirements as well as everything from woodworking to midwifery. The last section is about 20 pages of reproduceable charts.

I would say that freedom and creativity within the bounds of the Lord’s calling on the child are the main themes throughout the book.

The first section treats the teen as “in training” to be a Catholic adult. It presumes that the child (and parent) has a general idea of where they are headed. I like that a lot. I *hope* my oldest has an idea of what he wants to do by the time we hit the end of 8th grade! Lol It is incredibly respectful of the dignity of a person, no matter what their goals. It is peppered with the philosophy of Pope John Paul II. This section elaborates on how much freedom there is in homeschooling to design a high school program to fit the child. If you are familiar with Elijiah Company, the Colfax book, or The Moore’s, then it will feel somewhat familiar to you. It is freeing just to read it.

There isn’t a lot of “new” information to add to how to educate a college bound child in the traditional manner, but there are a lot of ideas for how to educate children headed toward vocational school or the work force. This is a subject sorely lacking in the Catholic hs world, imho. There is an emphasis on “out of the box” schooling, using apprenticeships, extended work in the field, and living books rather than texts to cover a subject. “Permission” is granted to use resources that work for your teen, even if they aren’t the most rigorous, as the teen is not likely to pursue a vocation in a subject they struggle with. Also, children who are college bound but want a more practical way to study subjects than the usual “read the text, study for the chapter test and write a few essays” will find this resource useful. A lot of time is spent on explaining the process of high school credits and how much freedom there is within that process.

There is no suggested core plan, and interestingly, there isn’t even a focus or suggestion for 4 years of religion study. That’s not to say there aren’t suggestions in the second section (actually, there are a lot of neat ideas), but “religion” as it is traditionally understood is not listed in the two lists of requirements to graduate (one for simple graduation and one for the college bound).

I initially thought it was odd that there were no real “sample plans.” I suspect that the reason they didn’t is because they don’t want to suggest anything that might leave another family feeling burdened because the samples don’t work for them.

The second section lists ideas for studying each subject in both traditional and nontraditional ways. It is set up as a simple list of books you could consider, web sites or locations to visit, and essay topic suggestions for some subjects. If you have a child interested in something not listed, the many other subjects will still be great jumping off points and give a family ideas for how to come up with ideas for their subject of choice.

In the final section, among other charts, there is one in particular that is great for keeping track of credit hours. It takes something that could be complicated and makes it “doable.”

As an aside, I think the reason this resource surprises me so much is because it is really very very different from every other lesson plan resource they offer. It is the least structured “program” I have ever seen…and I am realizing now that this is on purpose.

Stepping back to really look at their K-12 offerings, I am starting to “see” that CHC’s vision is to teach the basics that every child needs, inspire great devotion to the Lord, and then release the child to pursue the vocation that the Lord has put on their heart. Many curriculums say that these are their goals, but when you look at their offerings, what you really see is just a religious version of traditional college prep classes. I read books all the time that encourage hsers to have these values as their core. CHC is really trying to “show us” how to do that.

If you like a strong classical approach, or you like things spelled out and know you want something traditional, you might be more happy with one of the many other Catholic curriculum providers. If you like to plan, have a child that doesn’t fit the mold, or to have a lot of freedom to tweak (and to add in Sonlight’s literature without using their manuals at the high schoo level), this resource will be invaluable.

As for me, I think I will be perusing this manual on and off over the next few years (I have 2 ½ yrs before my oldest is in 9th grade). There is too much in the subject sections to digest on a first reading. I’m imagining that my first child will do well with a mix of both traditional subjects, coop classes, and experiential learning. There is no reason one couldn’t use this approach and include classes from providers like Regina Coeli and Seton. That is what I like the most: I feel free to “farm out” subjects that I think he needs to learn traditionally and yet don’t feel confident to teach well. And for other subjects, I have the freedom and encouragement to really use experiential methods to their fullest.

High School of Your Dreams really shines in that it is inspirational. It reminds families that God has given us these children and that we really do know what is best for them, and that we don’t have to cave and cower to the “powers that be” just because they think that their way is best. It values the whole person, rather than just the intellect. We don’t have to fear the American value that more and more education is always better. We don’t have to be slaves to any provider’s manuals. And finally, that we can truly release our teens to *learn* what they are personally inspired by, and to get out of the way and let them learn to follow Christ as He leads them, within the safety of the homeschool net. I am inspired to pray more seriously for all my children, that they will hear the call of God on their lives as young adults, and that they will be passionate about pursing Him and their vocation. For that, and for CHC, I am grateful.
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bookswithtea wrote:
   The last section is about 20 pages of reproduceable charts.

I apologize if I missed someone listing this already but what are the charts exactly?

Is there a transcript chart in there?
Thank you!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

First of all, thank you for a great review, Books.

I knew I would be ordering this book but, after reading your quote below, I'm more than positive it is just what I've been looking for (and desperately wish I'd have had it for my oldest).

I wrote something about trades vs. college back at my old blog; or, rather, directed readers to a newspaper article about the dilemma:
http://houseofliterature.blogspot.com/2005/11/consider-trade .html

The schools in our area have been discussing this and insisting that the school system needs to quit pushing college so much and focus on the children who are not headed to college. Most children don't go or don't complete college!

The schools here are saying we need an alternative to offer these children. If my ds completes his education at the community college in two years, combined with what he already knows and what he's gone to trade school for the past year and half, he'll be certified in three different areas of trade.   He'll be able to get work anywhere and, from the looks of things, there will be a demand for his knowledge. He can make as much $$$, if not more, than any college graduate.

Perhaps this manual will answer all my concerns about "Who needs college anyway?" Is that another thread?

Perhaps I need to order an extra copy of this manual and give it to one of our school board members.   

Thanks again for a great, thorough post, Books!
Bookswithtea wrote:
There isn’t a lot of “new” information to add to how to educate a college bound child in the traditional manner, but there are a lot of ideas for how to educate children headed toward vocational school or the work force. This is a subject sorely lacking in the Catholic hs world, imho. There is an emphasis on “out of the box” schooling, using apprenticeships, extended work in the field, and living books rather than texts to cover a subject.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson wrote:

I apologize if I missed someone listing this already but what are the charts exactly?

Is there a transcript chart in there?
Thank you!

Yes, there's a transcript chart, and charts for tracking credit hours, along with some examples of how to fill them in, and a diploma you can use, too, if you want...that kind of thing.

I am really looking forward to reading your blog about trades. I see this as a major failing in the American education system. The European system is designed to track kids to either trades or college, from what I understand. My two cousins in England both graduated at 16...one apprenticed to a plasterer and makes a great living now, and the other interned at a bank and is now a successful middle manager of something other other in London.   Neither had any desire to go to college. I know there are problems with their system, too, but at least they are trying to do something about it all.

~Books

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bookswithtea wrote:
Yes, there's a transcript chart, and charts for tracking credit hours, along with some examples of how to fill them in, and a diploma you can use, too, if you want...that kind of thing.
~Books

Thank you, Books!
Perhaps this book will be of service to my oldest afterall.

mom to 5

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Cay, I really want to read the rest of that article but its no longer available on the net. Did you perhaps save it to your computer?

~Books

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Books,
I have the newspaper article that ran in our local newspaper. When I get some free time I'll see about typing the rest. I'll open it under a new thread "Trade & Apprenticeship" (something like that).

I think, when I went Googling for the article, the online link had more info than our newspaper article.

Let me see if I can find it elsewhere on the web.

mom to 5

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson wrote:
Books,
I have the newspaper article that ran in our local newspaper. When I get some free time I'll see about typing the rest. I'll open it under a new thread "Trade & Apprenticeship" (something like that).

I think, when I went Googling for the article, the online link had more info than our newspaper article.

Let me see if I can find it elsewhere on the web.

Thanks! I'll watch for it.

~Books

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow! GREAT review! I just ordered it, and in a few days, it'll be on its way! WOO HOO!

I think this is JUST the thing I need, especially for our 13yo son. He's one of the *out of the mold* kinda kid.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Mary G. wrote:
   Too often society looks down on a child who doesn't want ot go Ivy League, but would rather cut the ivy -- lnadscape gardeners are just as viable in soicety as doctors or lawyers..... off my soap box, now.

Wowsa! This quote is amazing! I'm going to copy and paste it into my High School folder to keep reading over and over and over again! SO WELL SAID, thanks!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Tracy -- could you fix the typos before you paste it in?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Mary G. wrote:
Tracy -- could you fix the typos before you paste it in?

I didn't even notice it!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I received my copy yesterday (after ordering it the previous day!). I'm working my way through it after reading the beginning and ending sections very carefully and then browsing the "subjects" section last night.

There are many things to like about HSOYD. As others have said, it will appeal primarily to families who want to really tailor a high school experience to the gifts and talents their children have. The lists of books/experiences/resources for each subject are extensive. Each subject is tied into the student's faith experience with a list of suggested projects/experiences.

A couple of things make this resource very unusual. First, there are sections for the study of Canadian history, Canadian government and aspects of Catholicism such as vocations, apologetics and current social issues. I really like this focus, because it gives families a broader range of courses, more flexibility, and more ways to spark a high schooler's interest in learning.

Another unusual aspect of HSOYD is inclusion of non-Catholic books, texts and resource materials in the lists for each subject. Nancy Nicholson states that a college student or career person will encounter non-Catholic materials and resources, and it is perhaps (depending on parents' wishes) a good idea to expose students to such materials at home, with the solid backing of Catholic study to help them interpret these non-Catholic points of view (for example, evolution, as presented in a biology course).

One thing I really appreciate, as a Scouter, is the inclusion of Boy Scout Merit Badge pamphlets as possible resources. We use these all the time. They're great. The "Citizenship in the Nation" pamphlet, for example, gives a great overview of the American system of government and the individual's role in keeping our government honest and responsible. HSOYD somehow left out the great "Personal Fitness" (health, but no non-Catholic stuff) and "Personal Management" (personal finance, jobs and budgets) pamphlets, perhaps because the titles aren't self-explanatory.

It's going to be a great resource for me (because I'm the ultimate researcher and course tweaker!).

Hope this helps!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

guitarnan wrote:
One thing I really appreciate, as a Scouter, is the inclusion of Boy Scout Merit Badge pamphlets as possible resources. We use these all the time. They're great. The "Citizenship in the Nation" pamphlet, for example, gives a great overview of the American system of government and the individual's role in keeping our government honest and responsible. HSOYD somehow left out the great "Personal Fitness" (health, but no non-Catholic stuff) and "Personal Management" (personal finance, jobs and budgets) pamphlets, perhaps because the titles aren't self-explanatory.
Hope this helps!

Since you know something about the merit badges, what do you think of her idea of using them as part of the child's high school curriculum? My ds just recently rejoined scouting, after some time off (no good Boy Scout troop in our old location so we quit after the end of webelos) and I don't know much about the Merit Badge system. I was just browsing the Handbook today for more info, but there are no actual merit badge requirements in it.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Do you think the merit badge process along with some good books and maybe a simple spine could really cover some of the high school sciences?

~Books

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh Yes! I am looking right now at the Orienteering merit badge book and it is 40 pages paked with information. The requirements are listed at the beginning and they are extensive. Heres an example:

Requirement 7: "Take part in three orienteering events. One of these must be cross country. After each course, write a report with a copy of the master map and clues,a copy of the route you took on course, a discussion of how you could improve your time between points, and a list of your major weaknesses on this course. describe what you could do to improve."

And this is just one of ten requirements! I think scout merit badges will make an excellent spine for many courses! My ds bridges from webelos next month and we can't wait to get started!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Books,

Somewhere online a family has posted their experiences using Merit Badges as a spine...I'll have to look for the link later on today.

You could definitely use MB pamphlets for many science, social studies, career-exploration and "life skills" spines. They don't have much for math. The Communications Merit Badge is an excellent speech/presentation course. (I'm planning to use it.)

For a quick overview of each badge, visit Boy Scout Merit Badge Requirements. The requirements are what a boy has to do to earn the badge. If you were to buy/borrow a pamphlet, that info would be in the front and the rest of the pamphlet would be helpful info on the topic.

There's a book called the Merit Badge Requirements book, but the individual pamphlets have more info in them.

By the way, many troops own the pamphlets. Perhaps you could borrow them instead of buy them!

I own Citizenship in the Nation, Personal Fitness, Architecture, Communications and a couple of others, if that helps you.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Another option, which Nancy recommends in HSoYD is to use the "Pilgrims of the Holy Family" book that CHC also publishes. Created as a way for Catholic families to "do" scouts with a Catholic flair -- the book has all the web links and suggested criteria for "obtaining" the Pilgrim merit badges.

Here's the CHC link: Pilgrims ofthe Holy Family.

Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but 4-H books are a goldmine of learning information as well.

mom to 5

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Louise wrote:
I am still wondering about what kind of new material is being offered in HSOYD. For example how does Nancy approach world history? Does she offer suggestions for more recourses than the usual textbooks, for example Christ the Kind Lord of History? Is there plenty of choices to accommodate learning styles? And then how easy is it to put it all together? Let’s take the example of world history. How would you Elizabeth put a course together for your son using the suggestions in HSOYD? I hoping that I will find some kind of guidance there that will make HSOYD more than a mere catalog of books (like Emmanuel). In this respect, is it like their middle school plan, with ideas of how to use the material suggested? Even general ideas would be good.
Thanks,

Hi Louise,

Elizabeth is not on the computer much these days (pregnancy induced nausea...yay! ) and she asked me to answer your question.

In the beginning, there is a chapter entitled "Examining the Three Tracks: Which leads to your student's goal?"

Then there is a section addressed to the parent and one addressed to the student for each of the three tracks. Using your question,without assuming any particular track, here's what Nancy Nicholson suggests:

First: What are your vocational goals? Pray, make an appointment with God in Adoration to pray for guidance. Wait for leading. Use Lifework, perhaps. Once the child and parent know the goals, she reminds the child to consider that using more challenging goals will better prepare the student than easy ones. But she continually reminds us that the goals need to fit the student's abilities.

Now the child (with parental support) is supposed to do some research, and detemine what courses he is planning on taking over 4 years. This is intended to be a trusty guide but not a slavemaster...change is always fine, but without a plan, it can be difficult to find the finish line, kwim?

He is encouraged to use the library and the internet to research the suggested texts in HSOYD for, say, World History (there are 4 options listed and 1 Boy Scout merit badge under text options for WH). Videotext options are also acceptable. The child then makes a decision and does the legwork to locate the text (she gives web sites for used texts in HSOYD). The child then looks at how many chapters there are and breaks them down over 36 weeks (or less, if the child wants to finish the credit early...180 hours either way). Not using a text is also acceptable, but the main point is to have the child do the breakdown. Then the child would choose from the supplementary reading list, web sites, movies, places to visit, essay topic suggestions, etc, and tentatively add them to their 36 week outline. It is assumed the child will choose more heavily of the methods that the child enjoys and responds well to. Nancy offers a suggested "minimum" number of papers/essays/projects and responses to the material for each track (this is one area where the tracks would change the look of the course significantly). There are no rubrics for the essays like you would see in a MODG syllabus.

Then over that school year, the child would track the hours spent on World History. One week might look like this (I totally made this up, btw, based on some other examples in HSOYD):

Mon: Read chapter 22 in text, watched part one of PBS The Wives of Henry VIII (2 hrs)
Tues: answered questions in text, watched part II of PBS special (2 hrs)
Wed/Thurs/Fri: visited local display of English history exhibit at local museum, scrapbooked the pamphlet and pictures taken with small captions. Watched end of PBS special. (6 hrs over 3 days including visiting the museum)

Total for week: 10 hrs.

Keeping in mind that 180 hrs is 1 hr a day, 5 days a week. Since this was a heavy week, taking the second week off would be ok, too, or the child might be on track to finish early because he just doesn't like history all that much and wants to be done with it! lol

Nancy addresses the "but should that count as hours toward credit?" question as follows (p7):

"Perhaps this system seems to generous, too 'easy' to be labeled a legitimate educational system. One should bear in mind that, in a typical public school classroom, Stephanie Student might be earning journalism credit for occupying a seat while chatting with her friends, coloring her nails, downloading music from the internet and, perhaps, working on a journalism assignment. Indeed, in a public school setting, Stephanie will even earn credit for the days on which she is absent. The Catholic homeschooled student who offers his schoolwork to the glory of God and responsibly exerts a full hour of effort for each hour of credit, has legitimate rights to credits earned."

Elsewhere, she also reminds us that high schools routinely award credit for an hour when a class period is only 50 minutes long, and that assemblies, pep rallies and the like don't change the "credits earned" on their transcripts.

Does this help at all? There is a step by step outline for how to do this that is very simple to follow, and all the charts are there to photocopy as necessary.

Elizabeth shared in her email to me that she is hoping there will be lots of us inspired to use this resource so that we can glean ideas from each other on how our own teen's courses are being built this spring and summer. Coursework is going to look very different from family to family, but seeing each other's plans and sharing resources found, since we are all strong in different subject areas, will no doubt help immensely.

I'm really looking forward to seeing other family's coursework as we get closer to planning time.

Blessings,

~Books

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version