Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Woo Hoo!!! High School of Our Dreams! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Elizabeth wrote:

From the outset, it is clear that there is nothing prepackaged about the curriculum. And it's not all you will need to plan or to execute the high school of your dreams. But it's a very good start and it is sure to be a trusty spine for the endeavor.

This sounds interesting. I know I don'tyhave to think about credits et al - so do you think it would be an invaluable resource for non US homeschoolers?

Nnot that I'm looking to buy anything more!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Tea,
You didn't step on my toes and I do hope I didn't step on yours either. I just wanted to better understand what you needed. There are people on the board who use MODG and/or Seton and they are far better qualified to speak to how well the course selection and the structure work for them. My point was that a one-size-fits-all curriculum didn't fit everyone here in my home. And, to be quite honest, a curriculum with the pressure of outside deadlines and paperwork wouldn't fly very well either for me.I know it would add more stress to my life. Though, I suppose it would not hurt me to be so disciplined...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 4:11am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Leonie,
YOu'd have to add things that are specifically Australian.For instance, there is no page for Australian government or history. But since I know your sons tend to know US government and history better than most people in the US, somehow I don't think covering history and government is a problem in your house. Other than that, and probably adding more Australian literature to booklists (but we'll all be adding to the literature lists), it's as good for you as for us.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

One other thing y'all have to remember with this -- that makes it VERY different from Seton or Kolbe or MODG. You (or your student as the author recommends) must keep track of credit hours and work accomplished to ensure you have a reliable transcript at the end of high school, with back up portfolio, etc.

Nancy Nicholson does say that what she has proposed here is in keeping with what   Clonlara requires and is more than what North Atlantic Regional Schools requires so you can go through either of those (for a fee) and get an official transcript. Altho, Nancy does point out that a transcript made by you is just as valid (in conjunction with test scores -- SAT and ACT and other signs of work done).

As Elizabeth mentioned re: lit lists -- I think Nancy, realizing that there are such good books out there (incl Maureen's soon-to-be-released one) that she didn't go into an extensive lit list.

As Elizabeth has mentioned -- specifics like that are better accomplished on forums like this and yahoo groups!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Bridget wrote:
So this is something the kids should go through and participate in the planning with moms and dads?

I can't wait to see it!

Bridget,

Nancy consistently mentions the student keeping track of the hours and deciding course of study, along with the parents. She states:
      Ask the Holy Spirit for vocational gidance! As you near the end of your 8th grade year, you might wish to set aside St. Joseph's Day (March 19th) for young men, adn the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25th) for young women, to make a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament, aksing for guidance and direction as you prepare for your high school years.

As Elizabeth said, I don't know too many 13 year old children who have that kind of insight and maturity, but with the aid of a parent (and the Holy Spirit), it is definitely do-able. My 14yod loves languages -- that's one of the reasons we brought her back to home school. She is doing Irish and German on her own. Nancy wuld say this was great! Just keep track of what is being done, hours, etc.

I agree with Nancy that schooling/education has to be "bought into" by a maturing teen -- they need to own it. Thye need to be the central point for discussions of careers and vocation paths.

One side note -- I really appreciated this -- Nancy notes that all kids aren't slated for traditional 4-year college. She points out that religious life, voluteerism or going straight to work are viable and honorable choices. I really cheered when Iread that! Too often society looks down on a child who doesn't want ot go Ivy League, but would rather cut the ivy -- lnadscape gardeners are just as viable in soicety as doctors or lawyers..... off my soap box, now.

This is just my first cover-to-cover read of Nancy's book. I'm going to take the weekend and re-read it, so I'm sure I'll hve more to say on Monday....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thank you so much for the review. I'm so relieved that it is a good resource! I ordered mine yesterday.

I have a question or two. Are there suggested resources for certain subjects with sample schedules like the middle school lesson plans have? I understand that this is a lot wider in its approach, but I have noticed that I seem to understand the process a bit better when there are at least a few sample schedules just to see what it all might look like, practically, even if I don't use any of the example resources.

I know there are all kinds of suggestions for learning things like welding and midwifery, but even a child who is headed straight for the workworld still needs to have a certain number of years of English, Math, History, etc. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is specific help with the basics, too?

One of the things I was really excited about with the middle school plans is that there were new resources that other providers weren't using (Lingua Mater, The Virtue Tree, for example). CHC is the first provider I'm aware of who actually wrote schedules for new textbooks (Catholic textbook project). CHC has always had a focus on being "current" with their materials. Are there any new resources for the basics that they are recommending, or suggestions for building programs with materials that are different from what everyone else is using?

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks for the oh-so-tempting reviews. I'm salivating, looking forward to getting a copy. Even though I'd say I tend to fall somewhere smack in the middle between Cobble Mode and Structured Mode for highschoolers, I can see this book being a great asset for any of the areas---many of them electives--- where we are following a non-structured approach. Plus, I love the idea of a Catholic highschooling book to cheerlead us on. As someone on the thread noted, there are Protestant books galore out there on this subject, so this will be a refreshing change.

When will it be available and do you have any idea how much CHC will be charging?

Thanks for the Previews!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Books,

There are no schedules or anything that specific. She does suggest taking whatever resurce you've chosen as the spine, and dividing it out into sectoins, incorporating papers and research projects along the way. So it's more a do what works for your family kind of book -- some kids and situatins allow for lots of practical (e.g., if you live near a hopsital and your student is interested in nursing, they can volunteer -- candy-striping is what we used to call it ) work too to add to the computation of credit hours.

Kelly, it's available now High School of Your Dreams for $58.95.

hope this helps....

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thanks, Mary. I'm bummed! I was hoping they had some new resources that would fill in the gaps. Oh well, I still can't wait to see it. I went ahead and ordered it. I hope it inspires me, because I'm very stressed out about high school!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Books,
There are no schedules but there are resources. What Mary meant was that you take whatever resources you've chosen from the many listed in HSOYD and plan a schedule.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:
Books,
There are no schedules but there are resources. What Mary meant was that you take whatever resources you've chosen from the many listed in HSOYD and planning a schedule.

Oh! OK, I get it. I am really looking forward to seeing what they are suggesting as possibilities. It seems to me that so many of the high school providers are using resources from the 1950's, and I know that some of them are just excellent, but some of them are outdated, too.

Thanks, Elizabeth.

~Books

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Books -- sorry for this confusion!   

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

No problem, Mary. I wasn't exactly clear in my question. Thank you both so much for taking the time to review this. Sometimes hearing other people's thoughts about something helps me when I get the chance to review it myself, kwim?

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

CHC's shipping is FAST!!

I ordered HSOYD yesterday. UPS just dropped it on my front porch!

Off to get a cuppa tea and a cozy corner!

~Books

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

That's amazing, Books. I'm really happy for you--I know you were chomping at the bit to get the book. Looking forward to hearing what you think!

nancy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote nancy

Does anyone know when HSOYD will be for sale? Also what the cost will be? I am jumping in in the middle, so maybe I missed this? Nancy S.

Sorry! I just read a little farther and found the answer to my questions!
Back to Top View nancy's Profile Search for other posts by nancy

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Elizabeth wrote:
   And, to be quite honest, a curriculum with the pressure of outside deadlines and paperwork wouldn't fly very well either for me.I know it would add more stress to my life.

Just wanted to mention that my thoughts on the stress of a "packaged" curriculum have changed quite a bit. I did experience burnout at one point because of the pressure - but it was pressure I put on myself. The Catholic programs these days are very sensitive to this & stress that their programs are flexible. Kolbe goes so far as to include in their syllabus, in bold letters, "Do not feel obligated to follow these course plans exactly". When you sign a child up with Seton, you're able to pick the books you wish to use & they give you credit for whatever you don't use.

Our family is in a very busy phase of life these days with 2 little girls in diapers, who are quite fond of screaming ... Survival mode... While it's good to "get out of the box", lately my thoughts are more to adapt the box to fit our needs. Honestly it's been a huge blessing for my family to have a syllabus to go to. I find that the dc have become much more independent learners and they really like having something that tells them what their responsibilities are vs. waiting around for mom who always seems so busy changing diapers, preparing meals, etc. Now that someone else plans it all out for me, I find that I actually have less stress & there's more free time for fun things like reading aloud.

High School of Your Dreams sounds like a wonderful resource, but also quite a bit of work for mom to pull it together. Is that true? Honestly, even some of the packaged curriculums can be too much work for mom if some of the materials they use are not easy for the child to implement.

Thank you Mary & Elizabeth for all your comments! It's very helpful to be able to get a "sneak peak"!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

BrendaPeter wrote:
High School of Your Dreams sounds like a wonderful resource, but also quite a bit of work for mom to pull it together. Is that true? Honestly, even some of the packaged curriculums can be too much work for mom if some of the materials they use are not easy for the child to implement.

Brenda, I think the author's idea is that the student -- with the help and support of the parents -- pulls together the curriculum. There is actually alot of the work done for you to get your student started -- suggested "spines", web links, Church teachings, paper and essay topics, etc.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

There is no curriculum out there that should be done exactly as written for every child in your family. To do so would be a disservice to the child. Each child deserves the individual attention of his parent and the discernment of those who educate him. That said, even a boxed curriculum is going to require work on the part of the parents.

If you have a highly motivated academically-oriented child, you may not understand this principle. You might be able to take that curriculum out of the box and use it as written (but you still need to keep checking along the way to be sure it's getting the job done). But most of us will find that at least one child in the family requires more from us. This principle is not unique to boxed curriculum use. It applies across the spectrum from Calvert to unschooling. If your child struggles academically, if it's difficult to stay focused, if fine motor tasks require Herculean effort, if reading is work, you can open the finest box and provoke tears. And you can strew the greatest ideas and have him simply step over them. Sometimes--most times--the stress isn't the curriculum at all. It's the challenges of life with children. We can call that a cross. I think it's important to choose a curriculum that helps you carry the cross and a curriculum that doesn't become a cross for your children. Only the mother who knows the hearts and minds of her children so well can make that choice in her home.

The key to success in home education is to find a happy marriage of your teaching style and your child's learning style. I've never seen a Catholic curriculum that puts so much emphasis on dialogue with the student as HSOYD. That's got to be a big step in the right direction. If you want to, you can march right through the book, picking a traditional curriculum and using only the resources in there. You could dictate what is going to be done and when it's going to be finished. It wouldn't take long at all to complete the plans. And the book would function as a complete curriculum. All you have to do is order texts and teacher's manuals.

Or, you could offer the book to your child, ask him to articulate what excites him about the possiblities offered and then help him design his own plan of action. You could encourage him to look carefully at the unconventional resources and to capitalize on "out of the box" experiential learning. you could help him dovetail excellent reading lists with what he has chosen to study. You could ask other people what has worked for them for particular courses. In a sense, you could use HSOYD to "unschool" high school.

It's a rare resource that can be useful for moms on either end of the spectrum. And then, when you consider that this resource is relatively inexpensive and entirely re-useable, it's worth the sixty dollars.

I'm not representing CHC, nor have I been asked to sell HSOYD. But I do think it's a valuable resource for us here, both to implement a high school course of study in our homes AND to use as a spine for discussion about what high school education can look like for Catholic teenagers learning at home.

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Louise

Elizabeth wrote:

If your child struggles academically, if it's difficult to stay focused, if fine motor tasks require Herculean effort, if reading is work, you can open the finest box and provoke tears. And you can strew the greatest ideas and have him simply step over them. Sometimes--most times--the stress isn't the curriculum at all. It's the challenges of life with children. We can call that a cross. I think it's important to choose a curriculum that helps you carry the cross and a curriculum that doesn't become a cross for your children.

Bravo! I couldn’t agree more. I had much success with unschooling (strewing) with most of my older children, but have found that some of my younger ones do not flourish so well with it. For various reasons; being personalities, learning challenges, or (and) my life situation, I have found that I need more guidance now than before. CHC material and their lesson plans have been just what I needed to bring a living Catholic education to my children. I honestly couldn’t have put it all together like they have.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version