Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: The Teaching Company Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Well, we have a bit of a different opinion.

We used the World History for high schools (with Lin Thompson) as part of Jake's World History course, along with a couple of other resources (Christ the King, Lord of History, and Short Lessons in World History ) last year.

While he'd agree it was somewhat cheezy (him dressing up that is), he also learned a lot, and thought he was a good teacher.

I asked him about the *Catholic* issue, and he said that he was extremely balanced, pointing out errors from ALL sides, and thought that part was excellent. I like that it was balanced.

What I do is use the lecture series not only for content, but also for a visual aspect, and for them to learn what sitting through a lecture is like. AND I also have them take notes during the lectures, so they can learn and practice how to take notes, with me helping them, giving them pointers on their notes, etc. It's a skill I want them to be sure to have if they decide to go to college, and also beyond.

We used the Study Skills lecture series as a half year course in 9th grade, to get them to understand note taking, and study skills better, and we can use it as a half year credit. We'll do that again with our second high schooler, beginning this year, though our oldest thought it was very boring. That's Ok, he needs to learn that not all things he learns will be exciting, some will be boring. But I thought it gave some valuable tips. I also added some to it, whatever I felt they needed, like using graphic organizers, etc., or even with my auditory child, may practice auditory notes on tape, etc. I just add to it whatever I think that particular child needs to round out the course.

Our oldest will use the Lin Thompson US History lecture series this coming school year. We have the videos though, because that's all they had still when we bought them. But we were happy, and plan to use them with all three kids for World and US History. On sale, they become a good value for three kids.

I wouldn't want to use them for every course, but for the particular courses we've chosen, and for the skills and help they give us in developing them in our high schoolers, they've really been a blessing to us!

I hope this helps!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Diane

Thanks, Tracy, it helps to have another point of view. The World History and US History DVDs are on sale as a set for $130 right now. I think we'll go ahead and try them. It's good to know I can just send them back if we don't like them.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Like Tracy, we got the American History tapes with the guy dressing up in costumes...and liked them. Yes, they are a bit on the goofy side, but he explains things well and my kids picked up quite a bit. I was concerned with how he would handle "Salem Witch Trials", and thought he did a decent job. The notes that go with tbe videos are very helpful for sparking discussion, too, and zero in on useful concepts and vocabulary, without being too ponderous.

We've used the Shakespeare tapes, and found them helpful, but I agree about the prof's predilection for discussing things sexual. Come on, is it really necessary???       Still, for older hs kids, with discussion, it was ok. Unfortunately, they will get this in many college classes, so I guess I'd just as soon be there to discuss it with them NOW so it doens't blindside them in college!

We really, really benefited from the lectures on the Iliad and the Odyssey by a Dr. Vandiver, I think. We read the study guide first, then the chapter, then listened to the lecture and on a good day, went over the study guide again I thought these lectures were excellent and really helped us get into Homer.

We bought the men of Rome series, but my kids never really liked those tapes. The professor has a funny voice that put them off, somewhat.

The fellow that lectures on ancient Egypt is purportedly a great entertainer, BUT, my uncle, who is a forensic pathologist, says the guy's theories about King Tut being murdered were way off. I actually called du (that's Dear Uncle) to inquire about same theories, and du, who had had occasion to study the screens of King Tut, too, said the lecturer was plain wrong, du's take, anyway. I notice that the lecturer is a Phd in philosophy, btw, not an archaeologist. That doesn't diminish his being an entertaining lecturer, but I do think he's more in the category of History Lite than many of the other Teaching Company tapes.

Many people I know have raved about the Greenberg music tapes. I may have to give them a try. Meanwhile, we have the history of science series and have yet to listen to them. I'll let you know when we get to them

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Turns out our local library carries many of The Teaching Company lecture series, so that is another resource to check into.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Hey, some of these are in our library system! I never thought to even check! Cool!!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Diane wrote:
MacBeth, I'm thinking about going through Joy of Science with my 13yo. Neither she nor I are extremely strong in science---do you think it would be over our heads? Would it be helpful to get the transcript or should we just watch and discuss? And how were the sections on Darwin and evolution? Thanks for any insights---I really value your judgment.

Diane, I don't know how I missed this back in July (probably at the beach...). The guy is not a creationist, and is fairly set in Darwin's camp. I have the audio, not the DVD, but I am betting that you can skip individual lectures just as I can. Or preview them, and edit, or add info that you might need to clarify. But that is going to happen with almost anything.

I think the transcript is very useful.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Reviving and old thread...

I'm really interested in the Linwood Thompson DVD's. I never see them on sale, though. Does anyone know if these *ever* go on sale, or am I going to have to pay full price for them???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

orchdork
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 09 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote orchdork

Hi,
Anyone use:
Joy of Mathematics
Museum Masterpieces the Louvre
Understanding the Human Body and introduction to anatomy and physiology
What have you had the best luck with for a 9th grader??
Do you prefer the DVD’s or does it depend on the kind of lecture??

Thank you for any assistance!!
Jacque

Back to Top View orchdork's Profile Search for other posts by orchdork

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 06 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Books,

Yes, they do go on sale! Not sure when, but I got both sets on sale. We'll be watching them a lot through the summer.

Jacque, We just got the Joy of Mathematics - haven't seen any yet. Ask me later!

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 06 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm new to The Teaching Company and just ordered some sale items. I had hoped that there would be an email list or the like to let me know about sales. Did I miss something? How do you all know when something is on sale, how long the sale will last, etc.? If it comes down to checking in monthly or so, can we (as in somebody other than me ) combine efforts and post new sale items here? Has anyone mastered TTC sale system?!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

jugglingpaynes
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 06 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote jugglingpaynes

If you just ordered for the first time they should send you a special link via e-mail to their "community of lifelong learners." There you can set up a personalized website account where you can browse their products and check off the items that you want to be notified about when they go on sale. If you didn't order online they might send you the website when you get your order. If not, you can try calling their customer service number: 1-800-TEACH-12.

Hope that helps,
Peace and Laughter,

Comics, Coffee and Catches
Back to Top View jugglingpaynes's Profile Search for other posts by jugglingpaynes

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 06 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Angie,

I'm on their e-mail list - I don't remember if that was automatic when I ordered or if I had to sign up online. Also, since you ordered, you'll probably get on their mailing list for catalogs. Their catalogs are great - they often have a transcript (or partial transcript) from a talk from a course. Somewhat of a sample. If you don't get on these lists, just call and ask - I've found that they're really good on customer service.

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was happy to find this thread. After serious consideration for my 14-yr-old gameboy junkie, we've decided he seriously needs more controlled lessons and explanations.

I received the sales catalog recently and have looked through it and discussed it with dh. In addition to MODG, I'm thinking of ordering the American History, Algebra I, and perhaps a Science.

I'm so glad to have this feedback.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 24 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

Cay,
I've toyed with the idea of getting one or two of these for my 9th gr ds too. but I really think he'd need the DVD but even on sale - ouch! Is the History of the United States, 2nd edition the ones others have talked about about costumed lectures?

What about How to Listen to and Understand Great Music??

Would A Brief History of the World be over a 7th graders head? What about the Joy of Mathematics age range??

The sale ends July 26. When I was online at their site and requested a catalog, I got on their list and received a coupon for my first order. (wonder where it is now??!!)

I long to just make my decisions for this year, get everything ordered and take a week or two OFF!!

Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My husband and I are currently watching the 48-lecture set of A History of European Art, and we are really enjoying it! I am pleased to say that art historian teaching the course has been extremely respectful toward the Church (something I cannot say for my own college professors!). We're about halfway through the series now, and though there have been a few references to eroticism or sexuality, they have not been offensive. We are really impressed so far.

And I second the library recommendation--that's where we got ours! As much as I like the series, we could never afford to by it ourselves. Our local library has lots of the Teaching Company's titles.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Cathmomof8 wrote:
Cay,
I've toyed with the idea of getting one or two of these for my 9th gr ds too. but I really think he'd need the DVD but even on sale - ouch!

I know. That's what my dh said too. With me it's a case of my writing money going straight back into the home education business. I told him I'd pay for it. I've asked on different forums and it looks really good. I feel comfortable about making the purchase and, having had two teenagers go through high school already I see the need (a reall need , folks ) in supplying this type training for my son.

I got with a friend of mine at the ballpark yesterday. She has a dd my ds's age. We'll probably get them together for these classes and exchange the DVDs (for sure an economics class).

The Algebra I will come in handy this year. My oldest ds is trying to go back to school this fall (he's taking the college placement tests) and his first math class is Algebra I. Then Garrett and I plan to let the 9-yr-old watch it with him just for the early exposure.

We are so weak in math (except for 17--yr-old dd and dh) that we can really make use of this.

I will be getting the DVDs because the visual aids are SO important in this household.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I've decided to use the high School Basic math with my 7th grade ds this year. It looks like it will be the perfect review and pre-algebra course for him. If it goes well, we may continue with the series. I think it will be a great way to combine a lecture approach with my ideas for hands-on and math journaling.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We're using their DVDs for Chemistry this year, starting next week. I've been waiting for the Classical Music to go on sale but now that it is there's no room in the budget for it -- maybe next time...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Cathmomof8
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Cathmomof8

The new sale catalog has many speicifically highschool courses on sale, like Algebra, American History and World history with the 'dressed up profressor' (forgive me for being too lazy to go get my catalog with the specific names and titles.

I think I'll take the plunge on the history and also one on how to be a superstar student.

Theresia
Back to Top View Cathmomof8's Profile Search for other posts by Cathmomof8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version