Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: library books vs. buying your own Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SarahA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote SarahA

So many great ideas and answers--I'm really just reiterating others' ideas. This is our first year of homeschooling, but we've collected books for years, and have a large library, mostly reference and classic literature. We do have lots of children's classics as well, and a mixture of "twaddle" easy reader books and good ones (gifts, road trip buys, etc.)

Because we've moved, and will continue to move, we can't rely on libraries as our sole source of books. We mainly use the library for the "fun" books, or as ideas for gifts. There are several I've seen that I've since ordered as gifts for children (mine and others'.) I let the kids each pick out 1, 2, or 3 (depending on our time constraints or busy schedules in the next few weeks) and I am the only one to pick out movies. They can make a request, but I have final say, and the most we get is 3 (we only keep get them a week and movies are treats, not daily viewing.)

I only have 1 strong reader currently (my oldest being almost 8, the next being almost 6), so most of the books are picture books. The kids tend to pick good ones, and we get Caldecotts frequently. They also like de Paola's that I can't find online. Occasionally, my daughter will pick out a Barbie or CareBears, but it gets read once and then back to the library...my oldest son has started reading Hardy Boys mysteries, which I don't want to buy. We also found a Molly: American Girl DVD that we found very helpful in telling the kids about my husband's deployment.   

With little ones, though, we too can't spend a lot of time in the building. Our post library has a great playground, so we go there before or after. We use the military library (mostly), as opposed to the local county library. The book selection on a large post is comparable, and it really cuts down on money for fines. Fines have been mostly for movies, since we don't watch very often, so although the local library has better ones, we get them from the post (no $ fines for only a day or so overdue.)

Because of the moves, though, and not wanting to purposefully buy twaddle, we try to buy only great books for our permanent collection. The "junk" books can be donated, or get messed up due to being paperback and have to be thrown. We do have some good youth lit in paperback (from my younger years) that I just haven't replaced in hardback yet. My Narnia collection will have to be replaced after another reading or 2...sentimentally sad for me because I've had it since 2nd grade!

So glad for this thread--I used to feel a bit guilty for not utilizing our libraries more!   

sunnyviewmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote sunnyviewmom

Just want to say thank you to Melanie for the advice about finding library books sold online. Thanks!
Dana
Back to Top View sunnyviewmom's Profile Search for other posts by sunnyviewmom

Capsela
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Capsela

We haven't stepped foot in a library in over 2 years. If we want a book we buy it or borrow from a friend. I have always been a book hound though or at least ever since I read Fahrenheit 451 as a kid LOL

We save all our change in an old coffee tin marked "Amazon money". Once or twice a year we take it to one of those coinstar machines and turn it into an amazon certificate.

We recently moved to a new state and there is a flea market here once a month. I can find lots of bargains there. Recently I got a lovely leather bound Catholic 1950s Missal for $3!

We also request books for the kids from grandparents for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Every little bit helps ;-)

Kelly

Back to Top View Capsela's Profile Search for other posts by Capsela

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

We don't have library fines in our local system--just guilt!

I don't use the library much. I buy what I need and we have tons of non-school books for pleasure reading. I am at the point now where I am mainly buying free-time fiction for my oldest only, since our home library is heavy on picture books and younger kids fiction.

I have gone through phases of making use of the library but we ALWAYS have late items. In the summer, if my kids want twaddle to read, we head over there, but otherwise, a lot of what we read isn't available.

mayappleridge
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote mayappleridge

I think of library fines as a donation to the library.

Then again, I've been blessed with decent libraries and kind staff. (When we left Indiana, my oldest had to make a special trip to say goodbye to his "librarian friends".)

Now that we are here in Wales, I'm finding that a lot of the books I knew and loved as a child aren't readily available. I'm finding new ones I love, but not as many of the old ones. I have a list of books to get when we go back to the states.

What we do, is have a limit. Each person gets 5 books. DVDs have to be asked for. My oldest does a fine job of keeping up with his books. I keep up with the littler guys books. It's better when we keep to a regular library day, but I'm not driving here yet so that has made it hard to do.

There is something special about having your own books, but my ds would whither away without the library.
Back to Top View mayappleridge's Profile Search for other posts by mayappleridge Visit mayappleridge's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I can't resist responding to this thread...this is a favorite topic in our household! We have a rather extensive home library, but we rely very heavily on our public library for many, many books and materials, to supplement our home library. I can't imagine homeschooling without open access to the myriad of extra materials the library provides, all of which we could never possibly afford to purchase and would certainly never have the space for. Our lives would be dramatically different and our children less well-versed in many subjects without the added benefits the library brings to our lives.

This is a dramatic change from our earlier years of homeschooling...I had some rather negative encounters with the powers-that-be, in our former library system, over the types of materials they displayed, the increasing influx of books on witchcraft and sexually explicit materials, as well as a very liberal policy that allowed children access to any and all books or materials in the library (without parental consent or knowledge), etc, etc, etc. We discarded our library cards and didn't step foot in a library for many years after unsuccessfully battling those issues. At some point in time I finally realized I had essentially been cheating my family of many materials that we simply could not afford to provide ourselves. We came to a compromise...we now choose materials, very selectively, using the online library catalogue. I rely heavily on catalogs, online reviews, or suggestions from trusted sources (like the ladies of 4Real!) to guide me while navigating the online library catalogue.

Since we're in a rural area, which only has a small locally funded library, we pay $50 for yearly membership in a much larger library system, in the city where my husband works. They don't charge fines for overdue books, and only minimal fines for other overdue materials, so that's not a major issue for us, especially since we can easily track materials we've borrowed online. Having a special basket, tote or shelf, specifically designated for library items, is also very helpful. Family members are trained to return library items to the place established for library materials, just as they would re-shelve an item in the library itself when finished with it. I try to keep a printout in the library basket at all times. We're also able to renew materials online, so if we're still interested in keeping materials beyond the due date, I simply renew those times for a few more weeks.

We still purchase many books, new and used. Our choices are often based on those not available through the library (usually Catholic books and books pertinent to homeschooling) or books we have previewed through the library that we feel we just can't do without.

We've also been incredibly blessed to find many books through used book sales. The library in the city where my husband works has a wonderful used bookstore, which we frequent every few months or so, which has been the source of many favorite books, particularly some out-of-print treasures. We've also made some incredible finds while traveling...we once went away from a book sale at a Catholic Church with 6 large grocery bags overflowing with older Catholic gems that are absolutely priceless.

Homeschooling families can enjoy the best of both worlds, creating a home library that best suits their budget and supplementing with materials from public libraries. Based on personal experience, I would always be cautious and discrimnating when visiting any library in person, especially with younger children.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version