Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Core 5/Global studies next year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

This all sounds great, can I be a dope and ask , what are Core 5 books?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Erin wrote:
This all sounds great, can I be a dope and ask , what are Core 5 books?

Here is a list

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 23 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote sarahb

The whole heart organics link is one I have cribbed from a lot all this year. Her pace is very quick though IMO.

Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I posted some more resources here

I have all the literature lists handwritten - just need to post.

I am trying to figure out how to organize things. Core 5 has such a large focus on China and the Far East - I want to include a lot more. World Trail Guide goes so very quickly (but they finish in 27 weeks and then do a unit study on Round the World in 80 Days. So I am still trying to figure out how to put it together and also include activities for my Grade 1 guy, Grade 5 twins and Grade 8 dd.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Sorry forgot to add - someone asked me about all the geography games and puzzles we use - I can't remember who? I am hoping to do a post soon - as we have some awesome resources for kids of all ages - but I am SO tired right now - maybe my dd will do it for me.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 01 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We've gathered our thoughts here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Elizabeth, this looks wonderful! We began a VERY slow study with our littles in January, focusing on one continent at a time. We started in Africa, just because it was the easiest to enlarge, cut out , and put on a wall we had painted ocean blue. I'm sure you have many wonderful picture books already in mind, but here are a few of our favorites for Africa:
Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
The Village of Round and Square Houses
(in which the grandmother tells the grandchild that she knows the story because she is "closer to the ancients", prompting my son to tell HIS grandmother that she was "closer to the ancients"
Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain
Look What Came From Africa

Jambo Means Hello
Scholastic History Readers: Egypt (this one is cheap and also has really beautiful colored pictures of many ancient Egyptian treasures-good for about 3rd grade reading level)
A really informative resources for the older (6th-7th grade level) is
Journey Into Africa
We learned about St. Charles Lwanga and St. Augustine, did some crafts (e.g.,made a mancala game), drew African animals (the Journey into Africa website has a drawing book that focuses on African animals), ate a little African food, and played with some of the Dover sticker books on African animals, African villages, and the countries of Africa. We drew posted some pictures on our wall map (a la FIAR picture disks) to get some idea of where our stories happened. The whole thing was a lot of great fun. We all learned a lot and are now on to Europe, where we've covered Norway, Sweden, and are now on to Italy (we're focusing on the countries of our heritage).

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

I want to do a simple continent study with my 5 year old next year. I will probably follow along with Serendipity. My son loves map and animals so some simple lessons learning the continents as well as animals/habitats will be right up his alley.

I thought I would try to add some fine arts too. Was thinking maybe of a simple picture study or listening to some composers and poetry. I would try and match them up with the continents we are studying either by subject matter or by artist country of origin.

I can find plenty of info for artists for Europe and North America, but need some help on others.

Any ideas on good resources? Thoughts?
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2009 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote sarahb

For Africa, you could certainly use ancient Egyptian art very easily. Australian aboriginal art is interesting. You could make a digeridoo and do the dot paintings. Asian art is not well known in the west but you can find a lot of it online.

Geography Through Art from the Trail Guides people is an affordable project based look at art and is really fun. I downloaded it from currclick.
Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version