Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Emergency Underground School Essentials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

Also, for medical, our health insurance periodically mails us a book with symptom charts, what could it be, should I call a doctor... it's kind of like a home-WebMD in book form!

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

I would choose the Book of Virtues, Usborne Encyclopedia of Science and the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia; add those to the Bible and the Catechism and I think we would be quite content.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

We are always considering moving overseas, and part of the difficulty I have is knowing we probably wouldn't have room for all of our Montessori materials... which makes me think that minimizing would be more difficult with younger kids, like the 3-6 year olds who benefit so much from manipulatives. I can see us moving around with very little once the kids are all older.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

I started pondering this 2 years ago actually when the Congress changed hands. I decided to buy a picture book library which my oldest has devoured. Between what she has read, read, and reread and my knowledge; I think we could get by with very little and lots of story telling orally. But last night I was pondering how we could flee to the wilderness of Alaska with 10 crates of books:)

However, since I have a child with special needs, I   can not ever really flee anywhere; I have spent a bit of time pondering where I would hide books when Obama's civil police force comes knocking on our doors-hunting for books that are not politically correct. Not something I spend a long time pondering but depending on how things go, not necessarily a waste of time.

I would want 5 things-a Bible, a Catechism, a Saints book, the constitution and a decent American/Catholic history book. I have chosen however to store those things mentally as much as possible. So we memorize catechism and scripture verses and our government documents everyday.

Holly

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I agree that the American/Catholic History book is a must. I will look into the Kingfisher rec. However, does anyone know of a reliable American history book?

I had also thought of the Susan Wise history of the world, but I know it is certainly biased during the Reformation (from what I've heard) which makes me wonder about its reliability in how it portrays other things.

Also, I would still love recs for favorite comprehensive saints book and Catholic history book.

Holly, I agree. I don't really think its likely that we'll be forced "underground," but when visions of conspiracy theories dance in my head coupled with readings from Maccabees, I figure it doesn't hurt to be prepared

It also seems that, politics aside, if the economy does the worst, I might only be able to afford a few books or that it would be prudent to have the bare necessities for the foreseeable future on hand while our finances allow.

My dad was recently telling me stories about my grandfather. We've been having a sort of family debate via e-mail and my dad says that my grandfather used to have these debates via letter with his siblings and cousins! His dad was not a college graduate, but he and his older siblings were very well read and their debates included all sorts of things. I'm telling you, it does not get much more backwoods than the area of Alabama where he grew up, but they managed to teach him Greek and Latin in high school in the little one room country school!

I figure that less is sometimes more

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version