Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Struggling after baby #5 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Cheryl wrote:
I am going to try to eat and drink better and take vitamins. I know I don't drink enough water and I eat too many empty calories. Nissa, thanks for the specific suggestions. I noticed yesterday afternoon that I felt like crying around 3:00 pm, so I went outside with 3 of the dc and I felt much better getting that fresh air and getting away from my surroundings. I almost always tell myself that I can't go out until I finish this or that and then I rarely end up going out at all.

I do the very same things, especially the last sentence. I need to take your advice to heart. Thanks for posting this.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Cheryl wrote:

I am going to try to eat and drink better and take vitamins. I know I don't drink enough water and I eat too many empty calories. Nissa, thanks for the specific suggestions. I noticed yesterday afternoon that I felt like crying around 3:00 pm, so I went outside with 3 of the dc and I felt much better getting that fresh air and getting away from my surroundings. I almost always tell myself that I can't go out until I finish this or that and then I rarely end up going out at all.

I'm so pleased that the advice helped. My Nana used to go outside on the porch for a few minutes when she was feeling overwhelmed. Turn off the burners first.

My daddy always told me to do that, too. When I get frustrated with the kids - take a bit of a break before blowing up. I need to be more mindful of that advice. I have a hot temper and find it difficult to flip the switch long enough to think about going out.

And my grandfather always believed that a good dose of fresh air and sunshine was essential to mental health. If all you had was fresh air and rain (or snow), take it. Put your boots on and walk. Being out there surrounded by God's creation makes you realize how insignificant the stuff at home is. You know, when God can care enough to design every vein of every leaf on every tree... He can certainly help you get through a day.

(((HUGS)))

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Cheryl,

The best $20 we ever spent on our ds education was to have him take the learning test from Mercy Academy. It confirmed some of our thoughts on his learning style, gave practical applications for us to implement and advice on curriculum for each subject area. We did this test after a very very very stressful year. My little girl came full throttle into our lives in September of 2006. She literally ran down hallways at 9 1/2 months which was two weeks after we brought her home. Last year was spent chasing her and trying to get a handle on first grade. Lots of tears!!!

I learned my triggers. I know the bare minimum of what I need and expect.

Also, a priest on retreat said pray everyday at the same time. People tend to push their prayer time off until this is finished, the kids are doing xyz and then the day ends and no prayer time. He said even if the prayer is only "help me Lord, I need you and love you." It is still praying and setting the path to true humility to give God this daily time.

I love your blog. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are a great Mom. Your family is beautiful!

Mb

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Hello ladies,
I somehow missed this page of responses. I've already forgotten to go outside again. Thanks for the reminders. Marybeth, I did those Mercy Academy tests. I should pull them out. Do you think that the dc might answer the questions differently now that they are a couple of years older?

Things have improved with my dd2. She's been sleeping in her bed and behaving better. I wish I could say things are better with ds 9. I am having trouble communicating with him. I'm sure a lot of it is my fault. I might be looking for his input too much on things. I'm probably expecting him to be more mature than an almost 10 year old. He's been very emotional lately and gets really upset if he doesn't get his way. Example: Last week I took everyone to the Eric Carle Museum. I told everyone we weren't going to buy anything there. I packed a lunch. He wanted to buy lunch at the cafe. I said no and he was miserable the rest of the day. He made the car ride home miserable for his siblings and I ended up taking away his legos and some other toys.

Situations like this keep popping up. He wants something and if I say no, he doesn't drop it and he ends up crying. I wonder if we have spoiled him, or maybe we're not strict enough, or could it be hormones, or maybe this is part of growing up???

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

BrendaPeter wrote:

Another excellent use of time is to put the acadamic studies aside to focus on virtue-training. Usually that starts with just taking the time to re-connect and go over expectations. I have recently been asking myself what good is it if my dc turn about to be great scholars, yet are selfish & unmannerly? Where are my priorities?

Does anyone have suggestions on what you've done for virtue-training? Or reconnecting?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Cheryl,

Nine is a tough age. It's been really challenging for both my sons and daughters so far. It's one of those stages they need to get through, but it's time for dad to take a firm hand in training your son in manners and in how to channel his frustration to something productive like stacking wood.

You can't be very far from me if you went to Eric Carle... I'm in Charlton, MA. PM me if you think you'd like to meet somewhere one of these days!

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cheryl wrote:
BrendaPeter wrote:

Another excellent use of time is to put the acadamic studies aside to focus on virtue-training. Usually that starts with just taking the time to re-connect and go over expectations. I have recently been asking myself what good is it if my dc turn about to be great scholars, yet are selfish & unmannerly? Where are my priorities?

Does anyone have suggestions on what you've done for virtue-training? Or reconnecting?

I like to read my kids the "Treasure Box" books. My dc really enjoy the stories & they open up topics for discussion. I also read paragraphs from "The Hidden Power of Kindness" as springboards for discussion. We seem to be always focusing on charity over here .

As I mentioned earlier, boys are challenging and having Dad help out is really crucial. We have to remember that our husbands have been given special graces as heads of our families. My dh knows what our boys need so much better than I do. Boys, I've learned, really like to & need to be challenged, both physically & academically. Many moms, myself included, tend to coddle and that seems to be ineffective most times. Even if they balk initially at being challenged they usually enjoy it after a time. It might not be your style but the dad who is responsible for the Robinson Curriculum has written some articles that have helped me with my boys.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I revert back to Our 24 Family Ways. Several years ago, when my oldest was around 9, we studied the way one week and then practiced that way the next. We're starting this again after Christmas break.

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I ordered The Hidden Power of Kindness. (My sister just gave me an amazon gift card for my birthday.) I was looking at it last night, not to read to the kids, but for myself. I could use some virtue training. I talked with my dh tonight. We agree that my ds 9 is a lot like me. I also decided that I'm going to try to limit my phone and computer use and hanging out with my dh in the morning so I can be more available for the dc. I'll look at Our 24 Family Ways and pm Nissa soon. Right now I need to go to bed. Thanks.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version