Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Conventions...Do You Go? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Hey y'all if all goes as planned (like that EVER happens ) I'll be at IHM on the Friday and maybe the Saturday ... I'd love to hook up with thr 4realers IRL!

Also, Maureen Wittman wrote a great article about Are Conferences Worth the Money and I'm with her! I find the biggest benefit is being able to pickup, look thru and see all the new stuff out there. I also appreciate immensely when vendors have a catalog or flyer or something I can take back and look at in the calm of my home ! I love to hear some of the speakers and walk the vendor halls and just see all the homeschoolers ... some this is the only time I see them as they are so busy with other stuff we never seem to connect. And with us moving around so much ... I get to meet folks even before I move there (like Momwise and MaryM! before moving to Denver).

I'm speaking at RMCHEC on Handcrafts in the Home School this year and would have talked at Michele Q's but they changed the date and we'll be in Nashville ...
but I'd go to RMCHEC even if I wasn't talking ... and IHM

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

If we're not in Minnesota I think I'll be at IHM. I'm trying to see if dh and I can go one day together because he wants to see curriculum in person. Our ds will only be four this fall so I don't know if we'll buy anything but it is so nice to browse. None of the talks look that interesting to me but I'm not very familiar with the speakers. Which ones are you all excited about?

I'd love to get together for lunch, too.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Wow - I just checked out the updated IHM information - they have a great list of speakers - and I am so pleased they are on the Friday - I cannot do the Saturday as it is the All Star Soccer tournament weekend and my twins' birthday. Hmm..I usually only go to one or two talks - but so many look good. My dh is interested in the sports talks. We are going to have to tag team it. I would possibly be interested in lunch - I just have to figure out when we are each going.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I usually go to conferences. I get a boost being with all these Catholic moms! I also get the specifically Catholic items I need. I would love to go this year, but IHM is the same weekend as my dd's graduation in MI. MCH is the weekend after when we will have returned to MD. Family Expo and FCL conferences are the same weekend we'll be in CA.

One thing I find that makes a conference even more fun is to go with a friend or two. I haven't been able to do that much in recent years, and I feel the lack. It's so much fun to share our discoveries as well as getting feedback from friends on items we're considering.

If there weren't conflicts with family events this summer, I would definitely go to at least two of the conferences I mentioned above. It really is a boost to me emotionally and spiritually to go. My dh considers this as a valid expense as i recharge my batteries for hsing. I refocus on why I am doing all this and get re-enthused for the work ahead. It's not so much the talks (although I find some very helpful), but the environment of faithful, hsing Catholic moms who share my goals and values.

It *is* easy to overspend. I go with a list after having made my decisions about what to study in the coming year. Having specific goals helps me cut down my spending. So does the fact that I really don't like using textbooks -- no matter how cute or appealing they look on display, I won't use them to best effect. I will occasionally buy something that I hadn't planned on -- like the little art kit I got at a non-Catholic hsing conference. It's a set of ten artsie-craftsie projects all with a common theme (the Middle Ages) with all materials included. I decided (after a hour or two of contemplation), that it would fit my son's interests, the theme of this year's Cub Scout Camp, and be very convenient. (I really like kits that include everything needed.) Since I have to do "Art" anyway -- it's legally required in MD -- I might as well use something I like and that also supports a small homebiz.

In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 20 2008 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

SusanJ wrote:
None of the talks look that interesting to me but I'm not very familiar with the speakers. Which ones are you all excited about?
Susan

Susan,
Laura Berquist usually gives a wise talk on just about anything. I think she's talking about order this time and, well, I LIKE order:-)

Fr. Fessio always gives great homeschooling talks.He's a big advocate for the homeschooling movement and an excellent speaker.

Alice Von Hildebrand is a legend and she's speaking about her best topic: marriage.

She's speaking at the same time as our family favorite: Fr. Vander Woude. And HE's speaking about sports, which holds some interest for me .
Those are just off the top of my head without going back to the schedule. This looks like a great conference. They've really beefed up the vendors and these are all-star speakers who have all given great talks in years past. I feel so lucky to have a conference so close that looks so promising, particularly this year when gas prices are formidable.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks, Elizabeth. Now that you mention it I did like Laura Berquist's talk last year I think I overlooked her because I've been moving away from Classical-education thinking this last year. Hope I can make it this year!

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

I am soooo bummed. We will have just moved up to NJ and have a huge event that weekend or else I'd drive back down. And now to know that you all will be having lunch together.....boohooo

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I have never been to a big conference in our numerous years of homeschooling - probably because of our location. Most conferences are across country from us. Every conference is a minimum of 3 + hours away. I get lost easily and with young children, I need dh to babysit so it just has never even been logistically a consideration. I may actually make one conference this year - provided we have reliable transportation by then and mostly to look at the vendors and meet the counselor from Kolbe who has helped me tons on science ideas.

One of the hardest things for me has been that we have always had to make purchase decisions based on catelogue descriptions and have had little to no chance to see materials first in the early years. (Now, at least, I can sometimes find a local mom with something that I can look at before making final decisions or come here for some more in depth reviews). We don't have any bookstores that carry any Catholic stuff to speak of (maybe a few Lovasik books, rosaries and first communion veils, tie clips, etc. but that is about it).

That is simply life here so we do the best we can but making mistaken purchases with that kind of lack of information going in is just part of how things are. Being able to go to a Conference would spare me lots of money!!!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

Hi Ladies,

Well, I knew I could count on some wise counsel from so many experienced homeschoolers. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. All of them were very helpful. I think I stress MYSELF out at conferences. You guys have helped me to see that I need to just relax and go with a plan.

I think I will attempt to go to the IHM conference...along with my list of specific curriculum to peruse, and buy. I think I may just bring an envelope of cash and not go over that amount and allow myself 2 impulse purchases. I will sit and listen to the talks and take in the wisdom from Alice V. Laura B., and others...I love to listen to Fr. Scalia. He was our pastor before he moved to NOVA. Frankly, I don't care if a talk is given by a Mom who has homeschooled 12 children using workbook after workbook. I know there is valuable insight and advice available in every one of those talks.

Now, the second most important decision for a pregnant, homeschooling mother at a conference...Food.

I would absolutely love to meet up with some 4realers for lunch. Even though Chipotle is supposedly switching to hormone/antibiotic free meat, I think my tummy would also be better off somewhere else. For those of you who know the area, what are some other options? Usually if I'm going out to eat sans children I request a place with a menu and no playground, but I think we will be strapped for time so that won't be an option for lunch. Any other fast foodish places? Is there a Panera nearby?

We could meet in the front lobby by the doors after the last talk before the lunch break. Maybe we could put some sort of symbol on our nametags, since we won't all know faces. Am I getting carried away? Sorry. I've never planned to meet up with people I've met via the internet. It feels a little strange. I guess I'm one step away from texting. OMG ("G" is goodness)

Thanks again ladies,
DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Yes, I go to our state convention, this year in Rochester, NY., but not every year. This year for the first time, I'm taking our daughter (13yo). She can help me choose some of her books, etc. now that she's older, and we're looking forward to spending some much needed mother/daughter time together!

It can be overwhelming, but the key for me is to be sure I kind of take it easy, and treat it as time away for me to gain the support and encouragement I need, time to browse, and time to connect with other homeschoolers as well, without allowing myself to get overwhelmed.

I don't go to every talk, or try to do it all. Sometimes I just take it easy, and do what I want, and I end up getting from it everything God needs for me to get out of it!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 21 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

this sounds like so much fun, wish i could go~anyone know of any good conferences in the west?

lisa

caallas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 23 2008 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote caallas

Mamamoon,
Catherine Levison will be at the HSC conference this summer. She's a keynote speaker and giving 4 workshops on Charlotte techniques. I'm excited ! Here is a link to the site.
http://www.hscconference.com/keynote.html

Cindy
Back to Top View caallas's Profile Search for other posts by caallas

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Wow Cindy ... that California Conference sounds fabulous ... too bad I'll be on the wrong coast! Let us know how it goes....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

The last few conferences I went to, I went armed with my booklists and good intentions. My problem turns out to be that I have been hs'ing long enough that I know a lot of people at our local conference. I get almost no shopping done because I spend way too much time visiting.

This year there are a bunch of talks I hope to get to. (Laura Berquist and Marcus Grodi will be there.) But I won't have high expectations of getting shopping done.

I guess socializing is good for hs'ing moms. And dads.   Last year every time I turned around to have my dh look for something specific he was off talking too.

It is an ideal way to see stuff before you purchase it and many vendors have free shipping if you order at the conference. So i try to have those orders prepared ahead of time.

I read somewhere to bring address labels to make it quick and simple to add yourself to vendors mailing lists. Thats been helpful.

I always try to at least come home with new books for summer reading. The kids look forward to that.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Okay, I have to know why you hate Chipotle, Elizabeth. Everyone I know (including my whole family) loves that place. What am I missing?
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2008 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Pregnancy stomach.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote acystay

Is anyone going to CHNthis year. I too would love to met other 4realers there. I went last year and did enjoy it, but I felt some of the speakers we too vendory if that is even a word! They do not pay speakers and I wish they did, but it is a very affordable confrence.

I know too in the Inland Empire there is a local Catholic conference but I will miss it. We're going home to Indiana. There is another too in Anaheim which I would love to go as well, but I have German students who will already have had gone to the CHN one.

I will post more later
Stacy
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 24 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Philothea wrote:
Okay, I have to know why you hate Chipotle, Elizabeth. Everyone I know (including my whole family) loves that place. What am I missing?

This has nothing to do with meeting for lunch (because I am so jealous that I can't come, too) but I have to jump in with a for Chipotle since it is a local restaurant. The franchise started here - the very first restaurant was just a few blocks from our house so we were here when it first opened then started to spread through the city and now all over the country. We are so proud .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Mamamoon wrote:
this sounds like so much fun, wish i could go~anyone know of any good conferences in the west?

lisa

I'm planning on going to SCCHE this year. I don't know what part of CA you're in, but if you're anywhere near this, it would be great to say hi! I'm really looking forward to hearing Laura Berquist and Mary Kay Clark.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2008 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

I've been to small local events only. Here in Maine, that means they're quite small!   

Since I simply can't afford to attend a larger convention, such as IHM, I decided this year to just treat myself to some conference tapes. I ordered the 2005-2007 MP3s of IHM, and after this year's conference I will order those as well.

I think this is a good thing for me -- I'll be getting support that I can listen to again and again, and won't be tempted to purchase things I don't really need as far as curriculum and books.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version