Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Did you use a curric provider, or DYOC Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 11 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

websterm wrote:
I am new to homeschool - I will be bringing my 13 yr old home next year for her 8th grade year. Being new, I am wanting to use a program - a little scared here. I have loved reading all the advise from all of you, and have been researching Kolbe since this thread started. Somewhere along the road though, I also started reading about Angelicum Academy. Any experience with them??
Thanks for the help!

Marcia
Home To Learn

A very close friend of mine uses Angelicum and has been since day one with her oldest, who is now 11. She's homeschooling 6 children (having her 7th today :-) ) and has been more than pleased with their flexibility, curriculum standards and the perks that go along with the program.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote websterm

Thanks so much! It really helps when I hear that people have used them and feel like they got their moneys worth, because it is a nice chunk of change...

Marcia
Home To Learn
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We used Angelicum the first year back at homeschooling (dd was in 5th grade, after hsing K-2 and public schooling 3-4), and were very happy with them. Then I found the folks here and Real Learning and decided to DOOC.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

vmalott wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:
Also, can you all share more about preparing a student athlete for college admissions? Any mamas of college baseball players out there?

Ooh, yeah...I'm interested in this too! DS is only 11, but he is a gung-ho serious baseball player with his eye on playing Division I.

Elizabeth, would you recommend going through a place like Kolbe to make the NCAA Clearinghouse stuff easier?

Valerie--who is getting ready for the first travel tourney of the season...goin' to Nashville, TN over Palm Sunday weekend

Briefly, I would recommend it. I was amazed to find that NCAA info was part of their welcome package. I just think some of this would have been easier with the "officialness" of some institution. I can't elaborate much more on the athlete thing right now--too much happening here. But, I think it would make a good thread of its own. Enjoy Nashville!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Fwiw, we are using NARS and so far, are very happy. They are accredited and you get an official transcript and an official diploma with a GPA...and you have full freedom of course selection, including 4 years of religion if you want (we are). I have an advisor that I can email or call whenever I have questions. Via email, she gets back to me within 24 hours, most of the time. I am big into self designing and tearing apart other curriculums. I *never* tell her when I am tearing something apart because I don't want her to hold me to that syllabi's daily work!

The only downside is that I have to keep very good records and send stuff in. I have done that with one course so far and it was no problem. I just followed the instructions in the high school catalogue.

Ds is a little bit interested in the Naval Academy and also in trade schools, and my impression was that an accredited provider would be a better option since he is not Mr. Academic. Maria, ds is on track to be an Eagle Scout within a year, and hopefully will have 3 yrs of high school level football, as well as missions trips and things with youth group. Can you share more about the process of getting into the Naval Academy? His grades are not straight A's but are solid B's and college prep but not advanced placement. His passions include wilderness survival. I'm wondering if he even has a chance??? I've combed through their web site but I'd be grateful to hear more about the process from someone who has gone through it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Our state university system didn't care about type of transcript as long as there was one. Some of the private schools in the state wanted a transcript from an accredited institution (not sure if Kolbe would have sufficed for them) and another private school wanted the list of books/materials. Every college was unique in how they handled the non-conventional. The junior colleges in state would not have accepted anything less than a GED from us (because our courses didn't mirror the state requirements identically).

Looking back there are plenty of things I wished I'd done differently. The first child really gets the blunt of your learning curve, but nothing we did or didn't do prevented her from getting where she wanted/needed to be. I am not sure if you'd call us using a curric provider or not, seeing as we are signed up with one but get our transcripts through our cover school. However, it isn't my signature on the transcript.

The bonus of a curric provider, if they are good, is that they give you some of that info about when to take tests, questions to ask, what the difference is between SAT II tests, AP tests, PSAT and SAT and PLAN and ACT. We didn't have anyone in athletics but Kolbe was the only provider I saw that even talked about elgibility rules. I wish I'd had the Kolbe booklet, Parents as Educators before we began high school. As far as I know, you can purchase this booklet from Kolbe whether you are a member of their school or not and it is certainly a great starting resource.

I also wish I'd thought about how we wanted to present our schooling when we started applying to colleges. Whatever you do, keep darn good records of everything - volunteer work, community involvement, book logs, etc., etc. It probably doesn't hurt to give them more than asked for when you are coming from an unaccredited or unconventional approach and be able to highlight the benefits from the way you did things.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Loren

Thanks for this thread. I still need to go back and reread and research some of the options because my oldest is starting high school next year. My husband is concerned about getting him ready for college, but I'm not sure that he is destined for higher education so soon.

I just ordered High School of Your Dreams from CHC. I didn't notice that anyone here is using that to design their curriculum, but if you have any experience I'd like your input.

It is my understanding that my student can get a diploma even from a DIY curriculum. Does anyone know whether this is true and how to do it?
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version