Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Biggest Homeschooling Challenge? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Comparing,comparing,comparing,comparing....our school day, my teaching, ds's learning, etc.

Housework,housework,housework,housework....why does dusting never ever appeal to me???

I think the winter blahs are here in full force. I need sun and humidity.

Marybeth

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

Do I have to limit my answer to just one thing?

My biggest challenges are getting things done with a 4 month old that wants to be held constantly, a 2-yr old that only wants MOMMY to help, and a 4-yr old who really should be doing more (but I just can't fit it in right now... poor little guy).

My other big challenge was (and still is) finally accepting that our way of learning at home is going to look different from everyone else's. I'm the kind of person who sees another good idea listed, and then is tempted to chuck everything I've done so far and "start all over again."

Then there's always the mess, but I guess I shouldn't go there, huh?

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Juggling different ages and abilities (and trying desperately not to let them distract each other), keeping the house under control, and not forgetting the littles.

Oh, I guess that's three things. You only asked for one.

BTW, Cay, MacBeth, and Stef, I don't look forward to filling out transcripts. Please pray for us, will you?

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Tina P. wrote:

BTW, Cay, MacBeth, and Stef, I don't look forward to filling out transcripts. Please pray for us, will you?

I will start praying, Tina.
It is so not fun!

Better to wait until they turn 20 and decide they want to go on to college on their own. By then they handle all the paperwork themselves...and that makes you that much more proud of them.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

My own sinfulness

So pretty much ditto sentiments expressed by Molly, Emily, et al.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

My other big challenge was (and still is) finally accepting that our way of learning at home is going to look different from everyone else's. I'm the kind of person who sees another good idea listed, and then is tempted to chuck everything I've done so far and "start all over again."

For me this is probably near or at the top of the list as well! Just two days ago I went on one of those blog reading binges that I have severely been limiting as of late. It was good in ways- some new ideas, some good laughs (thank you Karen...) etc. But then I landed on it- the picture perfect morning routine with happily occupied kids and the wonderfully enriching nature study/poetry/children all making dinner happily etc. type of post. Don't get me wrong; I know I sound bitter. But I am actually very happy for these families, and I know that if I blogged on one of our days it could come out looking the same (but definitely not every day ). But the problem for me was that the next morning I was up very early (very uncharacteristic) and motivated, subconsciously, to measure up to this ideal that I had just decided was now our new ideal (when will I learn ). Well, I am sure you will imagine how our day went. Somehow I ended up in my own family by the end of the day, and by today am very happy for it!

That was long and rambling, but I guess I just wanted to let you see a glimpse into one of our 'hard' things.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

EmilyC wrote:
teachingmyown wrote:
My biggest challenge is myself! The combination of my idealism, disorganization and lack of self-discipline keeps me from diving in and sticking with a plan. We have a lot of starts and stops throughout the year. My kids are pretty compliant and eager to learn. It's all me! Part of me is still waiting for that perfect year, no pregnancy or new baby, no moving, etc. I also struggle with my natural inclination, and that of my kids, toward unschooling conflicting with my need to be "sure" that the right things are being covered.

I could have written that! I definitely agree that my biggest challenge is myself.

Me, too!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Kristie 4 wrote:
But then I landed on it- the picture perfect morning routine with happily occupied kids and the wonderfully enriching nature study/poetry/children all making dinner happily etc. type of post.

Kristie, you couldn't possibly have checked my blog posts. We are so imperfect. It is only with the grace of God that we muddle through our days. My children are a wonder to me. I'd love to spend hours just teaching them, cooking and baking with them, and having some Mary Poppins character clean up after our messes. But kids have difficulty understanding some concepts. Arguments ~ currently one about sharing legos between a 13 and a 10 yo ~ happen. Time slips away from us. And unfortunately, Mary Poppins is far from reality. I think the reality of these posts you read is that days are good ... sometimes. But more often than not, we have to live and learn together to work as a team. This takes some hardship and effort. And I wonder whether those posters with the perfect days have complete weeks in between their posts, whether they imagine some of their posts to be true , or whether they live in a completely different reality than us. I mean, how many children and what ages are they of those who have these wonderful posts?

Just some thoughts to ponder when you start to compare your own family to one whose only reality you see is online.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

*Letting go* of not being able to keep the house tidy.. and keeping the 13yo and 12yo on task without losing patience.      We do really well on our unschooling days. We do pretty well after a week or two of more "scheduled" schooling. Right now we're inbetween, transitioning from "sick time/unschooling" days to "we have to do XY and Z before Spring Break" days. It's not a pretty sight!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Yes, Tina. It is not that I am sitting down with the intention of comparing- it is just one of the places I sometimes let my mind wander I just wanted to show how this weakness of trying to conform to someone elses picture instead of working on our own can be one of my definite challenges at times (especially in the depths of a cold Canadian winter ) (And Tina I am sure that in each of our imperfect households there is heaps of love and joy -even if we don't quite pull of the Mary Poppins type!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My biggest challenge is definitely prioritizing.   On almost all of my days, SOMETHING is going great.   I am good at tunnel focus! But remembering all the plates I am juggling, and keeping them all in the air, is well nigh impossible.   At least one plate's always on the way to meet the ground.

Then getting discouraged about not-juggling-perfectly -- that is my second biggest challenge.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I get discouraged about not being able to spend time with the younger children and "mother" them like I want to while simultaneously being a teacher to the older ones. I also don't like the negative relationship that can develop when I have to nag the older ones to do their work constantly.

I have actually made a concerted effort to come up with a schedule for those kids I felt were getting left out, mainly my 2 year old twins. They are in a whiney stage lately, and I noticed I was giving them too many bottles and I kept letting them re-watch movies so I could get school done with the kids in relative peace. I figured this was not healthy for them or stimulating in the least.

A few ideas I came up with is a schedule for myself for when I personally feel overwhelmed by them both shrieking at me at once. (which is often) I can have a safety net or plan instead of just reacting.

Ideas I came up with: Please add any if you all can think of some!!

* "dry pool"- one of those harder plastic kiddie pools). I put a sheet in it, and then filled two little containers with a big bag of rice. I filled another little container with measuring cups, Little People figures, larger funnels etc. and then they play happily in that for about a half hour.

* coloring time with sisters
* reading time with each older boy
* time with clay in their high chairs while I cook
* a planned nature walk with older brothers,
* planned snack time and planned bottle time

I had to overcome MYSELF which others had mentioned. So, scheduling my "little monkeys" as I like to call them, has been a lifesaver! I hope to schedule everyone like this since I cannot stand the chaos that this lifestyle seems to breed!

Another challenge for me is organization concerning papework for school.

I have found I need to use any tools I can to help overcome my weaknesses, and then faithfully use it!!! I tend to fall into thinking I can "wing it" when I have proven over and over again that I cannot.

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Just wanted to share. There's at least one mom who seems to have found the secret to balance. Very inspiring, and thought provoking!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

I have so much in my head I want to get done throughout the days and weeks. I have set this high standard for "some reason" that my house ( kitchen mostly) must always be clean. I don't know why, but that is my challenge for me. I want it all done, probably with a thought that if someone came over and they saw the house, the kids and they knew I homeschooled, we'd be a silent witness that it can be done.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I think I'd have to say that my biggest challenge is balancing my kids' different learning styles. All four of my 'school-aged' children run the entire range.

I often think that it would have been so much easier if all of them were more alike. Strangely, the two that are most like me are the toughest for me. How did that happen?   

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Remembering that *Comparison is the DEATH of Contentment*, creating the balance, and dealing with the graduating process (I'm right there with ya, Cay).

Oh, and the TRUSTING GOD ALWAYS thing, and not being fearful.   I do it, but it's been the biggest challenge for sure!

Tracy

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

jugglingpaynes
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 01 2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote jugglingpaynes

My biggest challenge is not fretting the quarterly reports and testing our state requires. I guess that falls under not being fearful.

Comics, Coffee and Catches
Back to Top View jugglingpaynes's Profile Search for other posts by jugglingpaynes

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Bella

Very little to add! I want to just say ALL OF THE ABOVE!!(With the exception of having littles/big family challenges.) But for you to know me a little better these are *the* biggies...

~ My own chronic health/medical issues.(Would they be better off in school type guilt, and just plain ole logistics.)

~ Not comparing our family to others.

~ Not having a local active/cohesive Catholic HS group... NO SUPPORT!!

~ Meal planning..oh heck! lack of *any* recognizable routine.

~ Too many HS choices.

Edited to add...that the lack of local HS support group isn't always such a big deal,except that DD is of the Choleric personality, and craves social interaction with girls her age(or close!). Perhaps this wouldn't be such a big deal if we were a bigger family. But thius is the life that He gave us.

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version