Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: CHC again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Louise

Elizabeth wrote:
I do want to sit with the Vision books and incorporate those as well. I wish that CHC had more Saints information and a saint's timeline in their study guide.

This website (suggested in the lesson plans) really brings it all together.

Also the timeline in the lesson plans (page 261-306) includes the saints (although no book suggestions). But you could easily find those at the link above.

Blessings,

Louise

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Wow! This is very helpful. Thanks, Louise. I should have followed links...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thank you Louise!!

I was about to start a thread asking for ideas for WWII (dd wants to concentrate on that for U.S. History and into 20th Century next year) but this site has given me *great* ideas. I hadn't even though about St. Maximillian yet (shame on me ).

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Cay,
   The "Evangeline and the Acadians" that I have is an old Landmark book, published by Random House in 1957. The author is Robert Tallant. This one is a great little book, too. It has kept the attention of my short-attention-span 10 year old, as well as my 12 year old (who reads everything, but is picky about what she likes).

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Karen T wrote:
I'm wondering, though, what others think of their phonics program specifically compared to Phonics Pathways?

Karen, I haven't seen PP, but I have taught 2 children to read with the Nancy Nicholson LSFLF and IMHO they are great! There are SOO many ways to use phonics to teach reading, but the reason I went with LSFLF is because they are really reading with the first book, period. It's very motivating for the new reader to accomplish a *book* in the first try, albeit, "At Mass" with only five words. Both my readers finished the entire program within about 6 months rather than the 2 year pace they have set in their lesson plans, but take as much time as is necessary for your little one's sake.

Now I do agree a little with Elzabeth's opinion of them being *sticky* or maybe too sweet, but they are Oh so Catholic, and that's why we loved them    Good luck, and I would recommend the yahoo group too that MacBeth posted, thanks for that

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I don't have the Nancy Nicholson readers yet; I was talking about the Language of God and Catholic Speller books. I'm sort of revising my opinion on those, too, though. They are exactly what they say they are. If I wanted a speller that used examples from nature in the exercises or a grammar books that used sentences from Fairy Tales, I could have bought one. These books use examples--every example--that reinforce the faith.Takes a little getting used to, but it's kind of nice.And I ordered the phonics readers today...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2005 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Speaking of Nancy Nicholson, I want to highly recommend "Devotional Stories for Little Folks". My 2 oldest ds are at that age (adolescence) where they want lots of action & don't tolerate anything too sappy. They LOVED this book & didn't want me to stop reading. That is not usually the case for us with these devotional-type books.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2005 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Theresa Thornton at CHC has revamped many of the books they publish -- the Nicholson ones, Sewing with St. Anee, etc. The new editions are more professional looking, and not quite so bland -- for instance, the Science 123 book just looks better, same content but new layout has really helped that one.....

Karen T -- I looked at Phonics Pathway and Alphaphonics as well as 100 EZ Lessons and I just didn't like the amount of work (for student and teacher) that had to be done....seemed like so much overkill and systemization of something that didn't need it. For instnace, in the 100 EZ Lessons, they use different symbols than what the child is used to seeing -- how does this help them read? After trying these, I finally got the Nicholson book and Thomas WAS READING from the get-go -- so it worked for him.

Hope this all helps....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2005 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Elizabeth wrote:
I was talking about the Language of God and Catholic Speller books. I'm sort of revising my opinion on those, too, though.   These books use examples--every example--that reinforce the faith.And I ordered the phonics readers today...

Elizabeth, this is exactly why we liked them, we even use the beautiful pictures from the used up LOG and Spellers for decorating lapbooks, copywork and prayer books. Great for the 1st Communion notebooks    I think you will be pleased with the readers and how well done they are. CHC is so beautifully Catholic!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2005 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

happyheartsmom wrote:
Karen, I haven't seen PP, but I have taught 2 children to read with the Nancy Nicholson LSFLF and IMHO they are great! There are SOO many ways to use phonics to teach reading, but the reason I went with LSFLF is because they are really reading with the first book, period. It's very motivating for the new reader to accomplish a *book* in the first try, albeit, "At Mass" with only five words. Both my readers finished the entire program within about 6 months rather than the 2 year pace they have set in their lesson plans, but take as much time as is necessary for your little one's sake.

Now I do agree a little with Elzabeth's opinion of them being *sticky* or maybe too sweet, but they are Oh so Catholic, and that's why we loved them    Good luck, and I would recommend the yahoo group too that MacBeth posted, thanks for that

Sounds good. Is it truly phonics, though, or memorizing sight words? I really don't want ds to start memorizing words without understanding basic phonics b/c he had some delays earlier and may have some mild learning disabilities.
I love the lesson plans though, and it would make it easier to use them if I had more of the materials, so I'll have to see what else I can afford!
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well, imo it is. They start out with "AT MASS" and the short vowel sound "a" and move ahead with all the short vowels. There is a nice booklet that explains the program and accompanying flashcards for each of the books along the way. I'm certainly not a phonics expert, but I felt like it covered them well enough, and not in a workbook fashion, which kinds of turns me off (for phonics anyway). Maybe anyone else who has used the program could chime in, or when Elizabeth receives hers she could review as well There will be some sight words for memorization, but that's just part of the reading process, and you could approach them in a way that makes it fun for your son, maybe like CM's idea for learning spelling where the child *see's* the word in his/her mind and then tries to say it or spell it. Does that make sense HTH a little. Just my .02

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Thanks! That sounds really good. I do realize that some words just have to be learned by sight, b/c they don't follow the rules and/or they are just so frequent it's just easier. I just didn't want to go with something that pushes that over phonics.
It took ds about 3 weeks (of very brief lessons done about 3-4 times a week) but he does seem to know all the vowel sounds now, from Phonics Pathways. He does think it's pretty boring, though, and maybe the CHC books would be good at this point.
Thanks for all the help.
Karen T

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Karen,
I was a curriculum junkie (or very anxious first time homeschooling mom) when we first started out. I accumulated Phonics Pathways, Sound Beginnings, Little Stories for little Folks, Little Angel Readers and Hooked on Phonics from Goodwill (which I surprisingly resold on eBay for a profit that nearly paid for all of the others !).

I was most impressed w/ Sound Beginnings, but we had been using PP successfully. I was not immediately attracted to the CHC. I wanted to resell the PP, but my son wisely protested. We ended up using PP, just a page a day and he learned very well with it. We only used the Sound Beginnings flashcards for FUN (my strange children think flashcards are fun games !). We used the Angel Readers and Little Folks books just as readers. The Little Folks Readers were excellent for reinforcing the phonics lessons our children had just learned. The sight words gave them confidence in their reading, yet I was comforted with the fact that they were getting a very strong phonics foundation from the PP .

I am happy to report that I am no longer a curriculum junkie and am now a CHC devotee. We use all of the lesson plans except for Phonics and Math (we like Math-U-See).

Well, That's what works for us so far .    I am now teaching our third son with this method. I wish you the best with discerning what is best for your Treasures!

Blessings,
kristina   
mommy to four sweet boys 8,6,5,3 and their beloved baby sister 19m and 1 ^i^ who has been interceding for us since 6-15-98
and married to their wonderful daddy
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Kristina,

Thanks for sharing how you've integrated the two programs. I am thinking that's what I'll do, too. I like the simple uncluttered approach of PP, but I know ds would be thrilled to start "reading" soon!
I can identify with "curriculum junkie" Every time I read something new, I want to try it! OTOH, sometimes I think it would be so nice to just trust one thing, like CHC, to cover it all, and not spend half my time researching everything that comes along!
Karen T

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Coming in late on this discussion, I went with the Little Folks readers last year with my youngest dd. I was very pleased. So simple, yet they do reinforce phonics with the word games included. Also most of the little readers have a phonics exercise on the back of the booklets. My dd loved having all the "books" that she knew she had mastered.   I am amazed at how well she reads now in 2nd grade. Btw, she loves all the relgious references.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

My son got through about book 8 in the Little Folks readers, but now has shifted to enjoying dong the work in the Speller that Nancy Nicholson has put together. I'm having him do a page a day and he really enjoys it. This will then helpwhen he feels like going back tot he readers! Pretty cool how everything ties together, eh?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2005 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Well, after reading this thread, I ordered the 2nd grade plans ( I don't have a 2nd grader, but thought I could use the 1st Communion plans with my 9 year old) I like them so much that I'm now trying to sell off other stuff to buy more plans. I have a 1st grader, 4th grader and 6th grader that I'd like to use some of the CHC stuff with. I like to have the kids work as a group as much as possible, so I may use the Tour the Continents with everyone as well as the Religion supplement. But, if I could swing another set of plans should I get the 4th grade or middle school plans? I'd love the first grade as well, but I know I won't be buying all new spellers and the other books in the plan for her when I have the readers and all my carefully chosen living books. I just never thought I'd like plans so much. Especially after leaving Seton, I thought I'd be done with lesson plans forever!   

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote mary

I wondered what those of you who use Sonlight (are there any on here?) think of CHC in comparison. I bought the 2nd grade materials this year, but am only using the religious ed portion because I am using Sonlight's Core 1. I'm very drawn to CHC, except, I prefer Sonlight's science. Does anyone have thoughts/opinions about the two curriculums?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Mary,
We have never tried Sonlight. What do they offer for science?

I was not drawn to CHC's Easy as 1-2-3 for young ones, nor the Everyday Science Sourcebook (for now.) They are taking up space on our shelves right now.

However, For second grade we use CHC's Stories from Science 2 and supplement with lots of science readers, science videos and some fun experiments.
We just started using Behold and See for third grade and we are so delighted with it!

Blessings,
kristina
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote mary

Kristina
Sonlight uses several Usborne books for science. In core 1:
Pasteur's Fight Against Microbes
First Encyclopedia of Animals
Starting Point Science
First Guide to the Universe
What Makes You Ill?
Science Activities, Vol. 1
The Magic School Bus at the Waterworks
Why Do People Eat?
What's Inside You?

I currently use Singapore, but have been thinking of giving Mathusee a try - and that's something neither of them use. I do like Sonlight's read alouds, but they could easily be added in. I guess in comparing the two, I somehow felt that CHC wasn't as rigorous and that came from my comparison of the sciences.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version