Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: High School Booklist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

BrendaPeter wrote:
They both said that since they're PRIVATE schools, they don't have to meet the state requirements. What they base their curriculums on, who knows ? I assume they just try to meet the requirements of a majority of colleges. After going back & reading lots of threads here, the same things keep coming up - the importance of the SAT score and most colleges don't require a diploma.

I do think that academically driven high schoolers who are motivated to get into top colleges will be fine without a diploma. Many colleges are used to homeschoolers now. *Average* students who may want to go an alternative route are likely to need a diploma, imho. There are great companies (like utilities) that hire and do their own training for good careers with great benefits, but without a legitimate diploma, they don't have a chance. I also suspect it might make a difference with certain military branches. I know of a hs'ed kid who was recently turned down by one military branch because he had a mommy diploma. He's gone back to school even though he was technically graduated, in hopes of getting a public school diploma and trying again with the military.

Oh! At one point I almost went with Kolbe, but found out that Kolbe will not count ANYTHING done in the 8th grade for high school credit. They said that's standard practice in CA (where they are located). So if your child takes Alg 1 in 8th grade, the transcript will show whatever he did from 9th grade on, and won't even count the credit towards high school graduation. That really bugged me.

I think the requirements thing is also based on how you do your state reporting. If you have to report what classes are being taken each year to your local superintendant or some kind of district office, I suspect it would be a red flag if the child never completed a course that is required in that state.

Its easy to be the private homeschool school and say, "In our state we don't have to meet the requirements...we are legally safe." That's probably true on *their* end. But look at Pennsylvania. Their students have to meet *all* the state graduation requirements no matter what program you use, so it would then be up to the *parent* to make sure that both the private ISP (Kolbe/Seton/MODG) and Penn. laws were being met. We looked into Pennsylvania when we were planning a move out of CA and ended up avoiding that state because of their hs laws, which is a shame because its a *gorgeous* state to raise a family in.

Anyway, bottom line is that you need to know what is required from everyone, because Kolbe/MODG/Seton are only responsible for meeting their legal/school requirements, but you may still be responsible for your own state's requirements. And you have to know what the colleges you are interested in want, too. Unless your high school provider is in the same state you live in, that still makes 3 areas mom has to keep track of. Forewarned is forearmed, kwim?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I know the topic here has strayed a bit, but I'm really thankful that you've kept your discussion here online. My oldest is only 13 and likely won't be starting high school work next year, but it definitely isn't too early for me to start thinking what she'll be doing.

The whole discussion on diplomas, etc. has been really enlightening. I downloaded the NARS handbook yesterday to take a look into the whole thing.

Just wanted to poke in and say "thanks".

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Bookswithtea wrote:
Oh! At one point I almost went with Kolbe, but found out that Kolbe will not count ANYTHING done in the 8th grade for high school credit. They said that's standard practice in CA (where they are located). So if your child takes Alg 1 in 8th grade, the transcript will show whatever he did from 9th grade on, and won't even count the credit towards high school graduation. That really bugged me.

Did NARS take your Algebra I for credit? How was it backtracking?

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Bookswithtea wrote:

Anyway, bottom line is that you need to know what is required from everyone, because Kolbe/MODG/Seton are only responsible for meeting their legal/school requirements, but you may still be responsible for your own state's requirements. And you have to know what the colleges you are interested in want, too. Unless your high school provider is in the same state you live in, that still makes 3 areas mom has to keep track of. Forewarned is forearmed, kwim?

Thx so much Books. You are a wealth of info!

I've been checking out some old posts and am amazed with that "deal" you got with NARS. Do they do that every year?

Brenda (mom to 6)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

vmalott wrote:
I know the topic here has strayed a bit, but I'm really thankful that you've kept your discussion here online.

Yes, we've strayed majorly ! I'm mostly a lurker and glean so much from these "public" discussions. Glad to hear you have as well, Valerie!

Brenda (mom to 6)

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

BrendaPeter wrote:

Did NARS take your Algebra I for credit? How was it backtracking?

Alg. 1 was just an example. We did physical science in the 8th grade for credit and yes, they did accept it. When you enroll, they will give you one credit as a "freebie" from the year before..that is, they didn't charge me to verify it. I still had to send in everything according to the rules. That was hard since I hadn't originally planned on working with them (I hadn't made up my mind yet) so I had to find and date and grade everything!

So if he takes science for 4 yrs of high school, he will have 5 science credits.

The NARS deal was a one time thing, I think...they were doing a development drive. If it continues to go well, though, I still think its worth it for kids who need an independent verifier.

~Books

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I am also thankful for the discussion. We almost went with NARS but decided to go with Classical Conversations instead. That decision left us with a nice high school program but not transcript, and if we continue with them we won't have a diploma either.

Here in LA I keep hearing the same thing: colleges pay more attention to SAT/ACT scores that the diploma. But, just the other day I heard of a homeschooler that wanted to be a fireman and even though he had already gotten an associated degree from a community college, they wouldn't accept him because he didn't have a diploma or a GED. So go figure!

I really like the idea of NARS and we haven't disregard it for the future. The thing is paying for Classical Conversations AND Nars would be a lot

Books, you ARE a great resource!

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Okay
I haven't heard of Classical Conversations? and I still haven't worked out what NARS is?

Here in Australia universities were often willing to look at resumes that you pull together yourself, now however it looks like they are after SAT scores, they are needing the all important 'number'.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Natalia wrote:

But, just the other day I heard of a homeschooler that wanted to be a fireman and even though he had already gotten an associated degree from a community college, they wouldn't accept him because he didn't have a diploma or a GED. So go figure!

See, now its these kinds of stories that make me nervous. My ds is just the kind of kid who might do a year or two of comm. college and then become a fireman. I am very ok with that. Its how God made him. He would positively stifle in a desk job, imho. His passion is wilderness survival! This is why I signed up with an independent verifier. If I thought he was headed to be a lawyer or a CPA, I probably wouldn't have worried about it.

~Books

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Well, what about taking the GED? Isn't that less costly & less work for mom than having a verifier? I know the GED has some negativity attached to it but would it be viewed negatively with utility companies or civil jobs? I can't imagine it's a problem with the military?

I'm also thinking about military academies. Since they do accept homeschoolers, do they require diplomas?

Brenda (mom to 6)

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I will admit to being bothered by having ds take the GED. It doesn't seem fair that a student who legitimately earns his or her diploma on a college prep track should not have to prove minimum proficiency.

~Books

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I understand your point!

In regard to those not pursuing an official diploma, the GED could be helpful in earning some scholarship dollars. I happened to run across this on a yahoo group:

Our children do take the GED. Neither of the colleges they have attended require it, but it entitles them to several hefty scholarships that are not otherwise available to homeschoolers. I do not rely on the GED for their graduation. I graduate them from my homeschool when they finish Calculus....a much higher standard than the GED.

When asked to provide details, she replied:

New Mexico offers several scholarships for full tuition to state residents who are graduates from an "accredited" high school or pass the GED, as long as they attend college full time the first semester after high school graduation. Also, our oldest qualified for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program, which waves 80% of the out-of-state portion of her tuition, but had the same requirement. We found this to be a common requirement for many state, regional and private scholarships.

Thanks again Books for all your help. We're starting that St. John Bosco novena tomorrow!

Brenda (mom to 6)

dizzylaurel
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 17 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote dizzylaurel

Books wrote:

"But look at Pennsylvania. Their students have to meet *all* the state graduation requirements no matter what program you use, so it would then be up to the *parent* to make sure that both the private ISP (Kolbe/Seton/MODG) and Penn. laws were being met. We looked into Pennsylvania when we were planning a move out of CA and ended up avoiding that state because of their hs laws, which is a shame because its a *gorgeous* state to raise a family in. "

I have a freshman in HS here in PA, and I'm not finding it all that hard. We DO have to keep good records, but there are a couple of really good diploma programs (we use Mason Dixon) to choose from. We really looked at NARS but chose the other because we'd have to duplicate everything to be sure deadlines for submitting portfolios were met in both places. We DO use the NARS log book (love the format!) and I use their resource book to help with planning and course titles.

As for the reading lists, thanks for some great insight. This year my DD is taking a public speaking class to cover that 1/2 credit requirement, and then at home we're doing a 1/2 year of grammar/composition with various means. Her diploma program offers an academic honors diploma, and they require that all reading be high school level or higher, AND that at least four genre are read (classics, plays, short stories, essays, Bible, poetry, articles, and more are given). The lists I've seen will help in planning.....especially the short stories!

By the way, if anyone wants to move to PA, the Lehigh Valley has some GREAT homeschool programs around!!

Hugs,
Laurel

Plodding Toward Holiness
Back to Top View dizzylaurel's Profile Search for other posts by dizzylaurel Visit dizzylaurel's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version